1963 Kadett Zwartkops

CraigJ

Re: 1963 Kadett Zwartkops

Post by CraigJ » Tue 31 Jul 2012, 12:01

That car sounds awesome.

When are you regaling us with some of your nostalgic stories again? I really enjoy reading them.
'93 Ford Sapphire 5.0
'07 Lexus IS250SE
'13 Ford Ranger 2.2 XLS DC

993 Kadett

Post by 993 Kadett » Wed 01 Aug 2012, 09:20

Johann65 wrote:
993 Kadett wrote:OK so I've been out of the system for a long time....but for good reason. I had to stop my scribblings last year as I had too much on my plate to do it all properly and after looking back at all that stuff, just got the urge to do it all for real again....so I did. Please take a peek at
and tell me if you like what you hear. That is a pushrod 1963 Kadett at 8500rpm 10 days ago. Just how quick? well I have admitted on these pages before that I am no hotshot driver, average at best.....so armed with that and a set of standard drum brakes we took on the Clio and Megane Sports on a track day.... all of us on good street rubber. :D Nice to be back to talk about the real stuff!! P
Remember? John Shepherd in PE with the same Kadett living in Walmer those days?? Had a white model with a 3/4 Race cam that whistled and some nice wide steel rims!!
I remember Johns Car, I think I was still at school at the time! The first really quick modded Kadett in PE belonged to Richard Kask a red car with a black top also with the obligatory wide rims of the time, you may remember it. That car was the inspiration for my involvement with these machines. I saw it for the first time at the annual hillclimb around 1966 and he just blew the 1000cc opposition away. He eventually sold the car to another trainee colleague of mine at GM, Hennie Louw who went and painted it an awful mustard yellow! I'm attaching pics of my road car of around 1968, this one ran an IDA - Yes a 46IDA with a Van Rooyen cam of the day, a decent exhaust manifold and a really good head job. At 1000cc the thing could rev to 9000 on the street and this confused the Ford and Mini Brigade terribly. The red Windmill saw the fall of a lot of bigger Fords and I remember one night taking big cash off a poor chap from Graaf Reinet with a Lotus Cortina. Ah the good old days when roads were empty after 9 at night....well in PE anyway.
Attachments
Kadett 62985 April 1969 B.jpg
Kadett 62985 April 1969 B.jpg (85.78 KiB) Viewed 7386 times
Kadett 62985 April 1969 - B.jpg
Kadett 62985 April 1969 - B.jpg (109.3 KiB) Viewed 7386 times

993 Kadett

Post by 993 Kadett » Wed 01 Aug 2012, 09:39

CraigJ wrote:That car sounds awesome.

When are you regaling us with some of your nostalgic stories again? I really enjoy reading them.
Hi Craig, I am at present preparing a whole lot of short stories of the times covering each of the cars, the clever mods, the regulations and the Homologation debacles. Lots and lots of stuff. I will be posting these as E books in a month or so and I really need to get to know what all Forum followers would like covered. For example no one has told the true story of the Can Ams, the behind the scenes stuff ie What really went wrong with 1973 nine hour & why was there so little development on the race cars. Who really ran the Dealer Team?
So if you're happy for me to go this route just let me know what is of interest and I will oblige. P

gordini

Post by gordini » Wed 01 Aug 2012, 10:16

gordini wrote:Welcome back...i have the same model, but in a station wagon, or Kadett Caravan. Mine is so slow you need a calender to time 0-60
mine6.jpg
I need hubcaps for this car.... can someone help :!: :!: :!:
In my old age...
i drink a tripple,i see double and i act single..

From Malmesbury

993 Kadett

Post by 993 Kadett » Wed 01 Aug 2012, 14:19

gordini wrote:
gordini wrote:Welcome back...i have the same model, but in a station wagon, or Kadett Caravan. Mine is so slow you need a calender to time 0-60
mine6.jpg
I need hubcaps for this car.... can someone help :!: :!: :!:
Got some for you, will be going to my storage tomorrow sometime and will sort a set for you. They are not perfect but can be cleaned up. P

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Thu 02 Aug 2012, 03:33

993 Kadett wrote:

Hi Craig, I am at present preparing a whole lot of short stories of the times covering each of the cars, the clever mods, the regulations and the Homologation debacles. Lots and lots of stuff. I will be posting these as E books in a month or so and I really need to get to know what all Forum followers would like covered. For example no one has told the true story of the Can Ams, the behind the scenes stuff ie What really went wrong with 1973 nine hour & why was there so little development on the race cars. Who really ran the Dealer Team?
So if you're happy for me to go this route just let me know what is of interest and I will oblige. P
Anything! Can Am especially. Please!

CraigJ

Post by CraigJ » Tue 27 Nov 2012, 17:26

993 Kadett wrote:

All of it, if you write it, I will read it.
'93 Ford Sapphire 5.0
'07 Lexus IS250SE
'13 Ford Ranger 2.2 XLS DC

gordini

Post by gordini » Tue 27 Nov 2012, 18:03

CraigJ wrote:
993 Kadett wrote:

All of it, if you write it, I will read it.
Jip send it and remember the hubcaps....i need them for my caravan
In my old age...
i drink a tripple,i see double and i act single..

From Malmesbury

Johann65

Post by Johann65 » Tue 27 Nov 2012, 19:07

993 Kadett wrote:
Johann65 wrote:
993 Kadett wrote:Remember? John Shepherd in PE with the same Kadett living in Walmer those days?? Had a white model with a 3/4 Race cam that whistled and some nice wide steel rims!!
I remember Johns Car, I think I was still at school at the time! The first really quick modded Kadett in PE belonged to Richard Kask a red car with a black top also with the obligatory wide rims of the time, you may remember it. That car was the inspiration for my involvement with these machines. I saw it for the first time at the annual hillclimb around 1966 and he just blew the 1000cc opposition away. He eventually sold the car to another trainee colleague of mine at GM, Hennie Louw who went and painted it an awful mustard yellow! I'm attaching pics of my road car of around 1968, this one ran an IDA - Yes a 46IDA with a Van Rooyen cam of the day, a decent exhaust manifold and a really good head job. At 1000cc the thing could rev to 9000 on the street and this confused the Ford and Mini Brigade terribly. The red Windmill saw the fall of a lot of bigger Fords and I remember one night taking big cash off a poor chap from Graaf Reinet with a Lotus Cortina. Ah the good old days when roads were empty after 9 at night....well in PE anyway.
The poor chap from Graaf Reinett was my cousin Christo (Passed away) He sold the Lotus and souped up a Ford F100 :? :? He was married to Moby's aunt!! He was not a practical chap :roll: :roll: Meer geld as verstand!!
The Minis; Remember Cedric Dodd with his silver Mini?
The Italian who had the restaurant and his V12 Jag that lost against Dawie Gouws' Prefect up Russel Road? :lol:
Member No: 209
Ah! Yes I remember it well! (Only GM's!)
1966 Opel Rekord L CLASSIC SEDAN Current Project

gotpinto

Post by gotpinto » Wed 28 Nov 2012, 20:53

:D Wicked to hear these stories that happened in PE back in the day :mrgreen:
Any pics of the Prefect (what motor & specs)and any of the other cars that street raced back then...Where did the guys innitially race?..at the Greenbushes airstrip and then at Perseverance until Scribante opened up?
Pls let the pics & stories come ;)
oh ja,wouldn't mind owning a little Opel like that....it's a giant killer :lol:

Social Media