Historic Race Tracks in South Africa

Killarney Racer

Re: Historic Race Tracks in South Africa

Post by Killarney Racer » Fri 18 Apr 2008, 21:07

I mentioned previously that I work right on Gunners Circle in Epping 1 and can look down on it from my window. I have old maps of two variations that were used, so it is facinating to drive on it every day and imagine that this part was a "s" and the old pits were there and that used to be a grandstand. Of course the two railway bridges on the N and S ends were not there, they used to drive over the railway lines.

Btw, Willie Meissner drove the Dart's first race there, if fact he got very good results in his class. Just about all the cars racing in those days were SA specials - it must have been a facinating era. Reliability of cars was always poor, with a high drop out rate.

Hi-Fi

Post by Hi-Fi » Tue 29 Apr 2008, 09:19

Roy Hesketh used to be a classic track where they held some exciting meetings. I believe the whole track is still there.

Can any of you guys from that part of the world give us some info as to why they can't re-open it? A mate of mine who was raised in the PMB area feels the same and said that it was the local municipalty's fault. The housing developement that was meant to have been built there apparently didn't materialise in the way the authorities thought it would.

This is a shame because if you look at Killarney the same sort of thing has happened there with Table View across the river, except there the houses have been built and form a very large suburb.

GRUNTY

Post by GRUNTY » Wed 30 Apr 2008, 19:10

Hey Hifi most of the original Roy Hesketh still exists but sadly our shortsighted municipality chose to build houses across the old main straight through to the entrance of the sweep.The section from start at Henrys Knee down main straight around Quarry curve along Pmb back straght to the old Link onto the addition BP bend and up Beacon Hill towards the houses 'From there thro the Sweep and into Angels angle into beginning of main straight and pit entrance. The two sections of the original track could host arace tomorrow such is their condition. So sad. Ican post some pics if you like,let me know,
Cheers Grunty.

Hi-Fi

Post by Hi-Fi » Wed 30 Apr 2008, 20:44

Hi Grunty

Yes please post some pictures, perhaps some before and afters. I would like to see what it looks like.

Killarney Racer

Post by Killarney Racer » Wed 30 Apr 2008, 23:38

Don't they hold some sort of bike and classic car events there, not races but that they allow the guys to use what is left of the track to open up a bit?

GRUNTY

Post by GRUNTY » Thu 01 May 2008, 18:58

Hey Hi Fi Ill post pics asap. Does anyone remember that brilliant new but shortlived track in Bloemfontein?

Hi-Fi

Post by Hi-Fi » Thu 01 May 2008, 20:23

Wasn't that Brandkop? They used to even hold SA F1 events there, like Dave Charlton in his McLaren M23 Cosworth and John McNicol in the March Cosworth.

Yep, we even had those in this country!!

Hi-Fi

Post by Hi-Fi » Thu 01 May 2008, 22:38

What Happened to Brandkop?

Social Media