THE SPRINGBOK SERIES

zahistorics

Re: THE SPRINGBOK SERIES

Post by zahistorics » Wed 09 Apr 2008, 19:52

I was lying in bed the other night thinking that ZA needs some proper enudoros 3/6/9 hour stuff.

Both for modern GT/Le Mans stuff and for historics.

If they old cars could hang together for 3 hours back inthe 1970s then they should still be able to do so today.

Need one important rule: If cars stop on the circuit then recovery back to the pits or track should be allowed (saftety issues permitting). What made the old races endurance interesting were the epic pit rebuilds followed by a herioc drive to cone in 10th or so.

Fairlane 500

Post by Fairlane 500 » Sun 13 Apr 2008, 00:38

I wonder if anyone with a little imagination from MSA has thought about this. It could very likely turn into a money spinner if they planned it correctly. The crowds would come back, that's for sure.

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Sun 13 Apr 2008, 00:59

It's not for MSA to do. They are not in the business of organising or promoting meetings. They are sports adminstrators, contollers and adjudicators.

There seems to be complete misunderstanding of what MSA does. Although they are not perfect, the are not responsible for most of the ills in motor sport.

It is up to clubs or promoters to organise race meetings or race series.

So join a club and be vocal.

Fairlane 500

Post by Fairlane 500 » Sun 13 Apr 2008, 11:26

Are you saying that MSA don't organise and promote any meetings at all? I disagree. They are responsible for the Wesbank Super Series and the Pro Tour. Last year they promoted the Power Tour. The clubs supply some of the personel, such as marshalls and some commentators, etc. to run the day but they have to tow the MSA line, or else. Even some of the commentators are the same people who do it on TV.

Just last year there was pressure put on MSA to hold a second National at Killarney because of the outcry from the club and the paying public. MSA have had to bow to that pressure and so there will be two Nationals to be held at Killarney. What I was saying is that if there is a forward thinking member of staff at MSA, who may want to push for a revival of the Springbok Series in its proper form, it will be up to MSA to urge for this to happen. The initiative should come from the governing body for something this big. It cannot ever come from the clubs. They don't have that sort of money. As it is with any GP race or International Sports car event, the FIA are the ones that call the shots, not the clubs.

Killarney Racer

Post by Killarney Racer » Sun 13 Apr 2008, 19:09

In my humble opinion MSA have a HUGE say in anything to do with motor racing and are very responsible for the ills of the sport in this country.

Example - Fine cars race a handicap system that works very well. MSA told us that handicap racing is not a recognised form of racing and therefore we either join classic cars, with a traditional grid start, or WPMC will not be allowed to promote these events. So who calls the tune.

Every event has to be okayed by MSA. Once the approve, they sanction the meeting. No sanction, no meeting.

They are everything in SA motor racing! They may not devise the rules and regs for classes of racing, but they certainly will not sanction a class without their considerable input.

Hi-Fi

Post by Hi-Fi » Sun 13 Apr 2008, 23:41

Agreed. MSA are the body that comes up with all the rules and regs for everything in racing in this country. If you don't obey those rules and regs, you may as well say cheers and take up fishing!

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Mon 14 Apr 2008, 19:16

Guys, I think you misunderstood what I said. Yes MSA is the controlling body of Motor Sport, but they are not necessarily the organisers of every series, race or meeting.

Fairlane 500

Post by Fairlane 500 » Tue 15 Apr 2008, 16:34

[quote="zahistorics"]It's not for MSA to do. They are not in the business of organising or promoting meetings. They are sports adminstrators, contollers and adjudicators.

Sorry, my mistake....................

Hi-Fi

Post by Hi-Fi » Thu 17 Apr 2008, 22:19

I think I'll repost some of the pictures I deleted. I'll have to sort them out again. :roll:

Fairlane 500

Post by Fairlane 500 » Thu 24 Apr 2008, 23:41

So where are the pictures? I'd like to see what you have.

Social Media