Forum rules
When posting topics on the forum please make sure:
  • ● The posts are not political
  • ● The posts are not about religion
  • ● Please keep posts civil and don't be nasty to other members
Kaninanol

TPi to Carb Conversion - views?

Post by Kaninanol » Fri 11 Jan 2019, 00:23

I'm thinking about ripping the TPi off my car and replacing it with Edelbrock Performer intake with Holley carb and vacuum advance MSD distributor.

The main reason is I'm getting fed up with slightly odd issues on my car. Like slightly erratic throttle pickup when pulling away (like a small stutter / non smooth power delivery) plus when it's properly hot (after about 20 miles of driving) it won't rev past 4,500 rpm, it's like there is a rev limiter but only after driving a reasonable distance.

In the last year (to sort other problems) I've changed all eight injectors, fuel pump, fuel filter, air filter, TPS sensor, PCV valve, temperature sensor (both of them), dizzy cap, rotor, plugs, HT leads, ignition module. Air is removed as is the charcoal canister. I have a new O2 sensor to fit, which 'may' help and I'll try shortly. The only other thing I can think of is a bad chip / program or throttle body. But to buy these from the states will cost as much as all the parts needed to go over to a carb, so I'm starting to think I may as well ditch all the sensors / injection and make the leap, at least that's easier to fix and gives more power per dollar.

Any view / thoughts / experience on changing over to carb or what my problem may be with the current injection setup? Or can anyone provide a decent ECU with reprogram to take into account the exhaust / filter / air removal? Some time later in the future I will also change heads / cam as well.

The car is currently standard other than full twin exhaust, K&N filters and some kind of ECU flash by a previous bodger (sorry owner!). It's a 1991 5.7tpi.

ters

Re: TPi to Carb Conversion - views?

Post by ters » Fri 11 Jan 2019, 17:20

Welcome! Vehicle, model year etc?

Ters.
When it comes to the wife its easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission!
AMC Forum now accessible on Tapatalk! http://www.tsclassicclinic.co.za/

ters

Post by ters » Sat 12 Jan 2019, 06:35

https://www.thirdgen.org/carbswap/ No personal experience with the conversion.

Ters.
When it comes to the wife its easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission!
AMC Forum now accessible on Tapatalk! http://www.tsclassicclinic.co.za/

jlebenon

Post by jlebenon » Sat 12 Jan 2019, 08:19

That Ecu flash may be the issue ... Where are you from ?
2006 lumina ute
1973 El camino 353ci

Social Media