E-cars the future...the end of petrolheads?

Chat about anything that doenst fit in anywehere else
Forum rules
When posting topics on the forum please make sure:
  • ● The posts are not political
  • ● The posts are not about religion
  • ● Please keep posts civil and don't be nasty to other members
barrydorr

E-cars the future...the end of petrolheads?

Post by barrydorr » Thu 27 Jul 2017, 10:43

I am curreny in the Netherlands visiting my family and over here i see a lot of electric cars and along the highways are chargers popping up.
In the UK they want to ban petrol/diesel cars from 2040 and in Norway from 2025...

South africa is still far behind however if car companies stop producing combustion engine cars, south africa will follow the rest of the world.

Now what will happen with us petrolheads?
Will we still be able to drive our classic cars?

Many of you may think, not in my lifetime and it will be still far ahead of us...but i think it is closer than we think...
My Toys:
1974 Opel Manta 1900 DL
2008 Mitsubishi Outlander

1972 Toyota Corona MKII 1600 - Bakkie (SOLD)
1991 Opel Kadett GSi 2lt-16V Superboss (SOLD)

ters

Re: E-cars the future...the end of petrolheads?

Post by ters » Thu 27 Jul 2017, 11:37

I have been following discussions on UK Forums about this, seems only a down scale in manufacture of internal combustion engines affected. Fuel (diesel/petroleum) will still be available, although an increase in their price to coach users to switch is rumored...

Many other options for our beloved classic cars a possibility...?

Ters.
When it comes to the wife its easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission!
AMC Forum now accessible on Tapatalk! http://www.tsclassicclinic.co.za/

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Thu 27 Jul 2017, 12:51

I don't believe such an idea is practical, especially in the UK where the country simply does not have the spare electricity to charge all these electric vehicles.

Sounds to me like politics and much about turn because the fabled diesel has now made most European cities far too polluted, diesel is substantially more pollutant than petrol.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

barrydorr

Post by barrydorr » Thu 27 Jul 2017, 13:32

Volvo start per 2019 only to focus on electric cars, and other manufactures will follow in the years to come...

Mainstraim commute will be electric in Europe within the next 25 years....

South africa has no choice but to follow the trend, with the biggest trend setter in Ecars being a South African...Elon Musk...

I only made a comment about classic cars in this tread to start the discussion..petrol en diesel will still be available for the next 100 years I am sure, unless goverments start with pushing penalties to cars with internal combustion engines...

We have generators, no infrastructer in SA, let alone enough power to feed our houses so where do we get the power to supply th chargers?

It will be intressting times with many people resisting against this ineviteble change in the way we drive our cars
My Toys:
1974 Opel Manta 1900 DL

Scorpionman

Post by Scorpionman » Thu 27 Jul 2017, 14:18

ZA Perana wrote:
Thu 27 Jul 2017, 12:51

Sounds to me like politics and much about turn because the fabled diesel has now made most European cities far too polluted, diesel is substantially more pollutant than petrol.
Agree with you there. Also seen the discussions about the 2040 ban on petrol/diesel new car sales in the UK.

A few years ago Diesel was the way to go and all the manufacturers jumped with this 'new' fuel. A lot of European countries offered scrappage schemes to get rid of the old cars and replace it with diesels. Now they realised that the diesel is more polluting (NOx). Petrol/Electric combo may be the way to go in the mean time.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/1 ... -from-2040

The UK will ban the sale of all petrol and diesel cars and vans from 2040 onwards as part of a move to tackle air pollution.

The sales ban, which does not include hybrids, follows an earlier air quality draft report published by the Department for Environment and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) in May this year. The Environment Secretary Michael Gove will published the full air quality plan following months of consultation and legal battles.

The car industry has been moving in the direction of increased electrification in cars for some time and an Auto Express poll of 5,700 motorists conducted before the announcement shows that 82% believe sales of plug-in (electric and plug-in hybrid) cars will have overtaken conventional combustion-engined cars by 2040 - 64% think it will happen by 2030.

The Government also proposed introducing more ‘clean air zones’ across the UK - charging drivers of high polluting vehicles has yet to be ruled out. A targeted diesel scrappage scheme is also potentially on the cards. Councils with local pollution hotspots will be required to lay out their plans by March 2018 and finalise them by the end of the year. While most of these projects will be funded by the Government, diesel drivers could also be expected to contribute to some of the costs. In the plan, DEFRA announced: "Measures to improve air quality will therefore be funded through changes to the tax treatment for new diesel vehicles, or through reprioritisation within existing departmental budgets."

In addition, proposed new laws mean manufacturers found to be using 'defeat' devices on their vehicles to cheat emissions tests could face criminal and civil charges, with fines of up to £50,000 for every device installed.

Petrol and diesel ban: battle against poor air quality

The Government estimates that poor air quality poses the largest risk to public health in the UK, costing the economy £2.7 billion in lost productivity. To combat the health epidemic, the Government wants to accelerate the uptake of green vehicles across the country.

Local authorities will be able to dip into a £3 billion fund on improving air quality. The air quality package is said to include £290 million towards a national productivity investment fund which will go towards low emissions taxis.

In addition, councils will also be handed a green bus fund to convert existing public transport, and £1.2billion towards cycling and walking schemes, as well as £100 million to tackle roadside pollution.

Road infrastructure will also be changing, with £255 million towards changing road layouts such as speed bumps, speed limits and roundabouts, in addition to reprogramming traffic lights. The Government will also invest £100 million towards improving the UK's charging infrastructure.

While some will question whether £100 million is enough to bring the UK's charging infrastructure up to standard by 2040, Chargemaster told Auto Express it believes "the UK's charging infrastructure will be ready by 2040" to handle a sales ban on petrol and diesel cars. A spokesman told us: "Yes, we will be ready by 2040. The infrastructure is growing rapidly. Five years ago there were around 3,000 public charging points, today there is over 13,000 - and there's a huge increase in home charging."

Chargemaster also pointed out that the majority of charging takes place at home. "We see around 100,000 home charging sessions per month, compared to 5,000 public charging sessions." However, for those drivers without access to home charging, Chargemaster says it's already rolling out 25 rapid charging stations per month and expects this to increase in the future.

"Though funding from the Government is always welcome, the private sector is taking the lead here and we will be ready by 2040."

However, Mike Hawes, chief executive of the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders said that it isn't enough for just the private sector to contribute. "What is needed is all the different stakeholders [to contribute], Government, manufacturers, distribution networks, energy companies. One of the frustrations for manufacturers [that] have been putting vehicles on the market is that the infrastructure has not kept pace."

The UK isn't alone in announcing a ban on the sale of diesel and petrol vehicles from 2040. France's newly elected president, Emmanuel Macron, announced a similar ban earlier this month in order to ensure the country is able to meet emissions targets agreed under the Paris climate accord.
Last edited by Scorpionman on Thu 27 Jul 2017, 14:20, edited 1 time in total.
1961 Alfa Giulietta Sprint
1971 Fiat 124 BC Coupe
1975 Fiat 132 GLS

Can-Am ZN

Post by Can-Am ZN » Thu 27 Jul 2017, 14:20

No need for us petrol-junkies to stress, this is Africa, lads, they'll never be able to outlaw fossil fuel vehicles from our roads...hell, we still see donkey-drawn carts in cities and on some of our national roads :lol:
Gavin

1974 Chev Can-Am 302
1991 BMW 325iS Evolution (SOLD)

"The sad reality about the uneducated is that they don't know that they don't know." - Me

barrydorr

Post by barrydorr » Thu 27 Jul 2017, 14:40

Can-Am ZN wrote:
Thu 27 Jul 2017, 14:20
No need for us petrol-junkies to stress, this is Africa, lads, they'll never be able to outlaw fossil fuel vehicles from our roads...hell, we still see donkey-drawn carts in cities and on some of our national roads :lol:
if car manufactures stop producing cars with combustion engines Africa will have to follow or go back to the donkeys...

We can keep going what we got for a long time ahead, just look at Cuba they kept there cars going without getting new cars on the island...
My Toys:
1974 Opel Manta 1900 DL

Coupé-man

Post by Coupé-man » Thu 27 Jul 2017, 15:04

What worries me about this, is the future of motorsport. Full works commitments to Formula E have already been made by Audi (for the 2017/18 season by taking over the current ABT Formule E team), BMW (for the 2018/19 season) and Mercedes (for the 2019/20 season). Audi have already withdrawn from Le Mans and Mercedes confirmed their withdrawal from the DTM series at the end of the 2018 season. Rumours are also flying around that Mercedes will quit F1 in the near future.

Audi (I admit I am a bit biased towards this marque ;) ) have always been at the forefront of motorsport in which they've competed (e.g. bringing Quattro to rallying and developing diesel technology in endurance racing). They've moved from petrol to diesel (TDI at Le Mans) to hybrids to full electric and this latest move is akin to dark clouds forming on the horizon. Are we really going to walk down pit lane some day, admiring everyone's batteries? Reminds me of playing Scalextric as a kid. :idea:

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/autosport-ne ... -fe-squad/
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/autosport-ne ... -fe-entry/
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/autosport-ne ... n-2019-20/

barrydorr

Post by barrydorr » Thu 27 Jul 2017, 15:22

Coupé-man wrote:
Thu 27 Jul 2017, 15:04
What worries me about this, is the future of motorsport. Full works commitments to Formula E
I follow the same website for motorsport news...

I have seen a few of these formula E races and they are great races to look at...better than the american nascar for example..

But mercedes leaving DTM is a bit sad...but maybe Opel could go back and take their German heritace back on the track...although i read somewhere that Peugeot bought Opel to develop the brand in to soley E-cars aswell
My Toys:
1974 Opel Manta 1900 DL

ters

Post by ters » Thu 27 Jul 2017, 18:10

When it comes to the wife its easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission!
AMC Forum now accessible on Tapatalk! http://www.tsclassicclinic.co.za/

Social Media