Forum sterf/ or what is it ,cold and rain?

Chat about anything that doenst fit in anywehere else
Forum rules
When posting topics on the forum please make sure:
  • ● The posts are not political
  • ● The posts are not about religion
  • ● Please keep posts civil and don't be nasty to other members
pietpetoors

Re: Forum sterf/ or what is it ,cold and rain?

Post by pietpetoors » Thu 25 May 2017, 21:00

The new phpbb is designed to be more mobile friendly

Code: Select all

Oh, where do I click on a topic under "Recent Active Topics" on the front page to go to the "last unread post"?
Look under the logo top left is a Quick links button. CLick that one and a menu will drop down with the active topics and all other popular links.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!

pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors » Thu 25 May 2017, 21:03

To change logo site admin can create new logo of size 149x52 pixels, it must be a GIF and then upload it to replace this file, I find this the easiest to change site logo.

http://www.africanmusclecars.com/forum/styles/se_square/theme/images/site_logo.gif

pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors » Thu 25 May 2017, 21:15

As mentioned the new phpbb is more mobile device friendly, so you actually do not need tapatalk no more to view it on your mobile.

Another great improvement is that you can upload multiple images at a time, you do not have to do it one by one no more.

On my Hilux forum I've hide the member list from public, only made it visible to logged in members. What also helped a lot with spam is to set the board so that you cannot email users directly, you must email them via the board's email function. I also added a security question on registration, simply "Security Question: How much is 11 minus 2 plus 3"

On the Hilux forum we do not have much of a spam problem.

On the dying of the forum, I found the same on the Hilux forum but I like it. Since Facebook became popular I find that the people who talk crap do it on Facebook and the serious guys who most meaningful and useful posts do it on the forum. Is far easier to control. Forum is not as busy as it use to be, but when somebody do post something it is worth reading.

Facebook is a collection of data for a day or 2, then it is lost. On a forum you can find that article of ten years back and use the info.

barrydorr

Post by barrydorr » Fri 26 May 2017, 06:44

pietpetoors wrote:
Thu 25 May 2017, 21:15
As mentioned the new phpbb is more mobile device friendly, so you actually do not need tapatalk no more to view it on your mobile.
It is ajoy to come to the forum now from my phone...never liked tapatalk
My Toys:
1974 Opel Manta 1900 DL
2008 Mitsubishi Outlander

1972 Toyota Corona MKII 1600 - Bakkie (SOLD)
1991 Opel Kadett GSi 2lt-16V Superboss (SOLD)

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Fri 26 May 2017, 06:53

pietpetoors wrote:
Thu 25 May 2017, 21:15

Another great improvement is that you can upload multiple images at a time, you do not have to do it one by one no more.

On my Hilux forum I've hide the member list from public, only made it visible to logged in members. What also helped a lot with spam is to set the board so that you cannot email users directly, you must email them via the board's email function. I also added a security question on registration, simply "Security Question: How much is 11 minus 2 plus 3"

On the Hilux forum we do not have much of a spam problem.

On the dying of the forum, I found the same on the Hilux forum but I like it. Since Facebook became popular I find that the people who talk crap do it on Facebook and the serious guys who most meaningful and useful posts do it on the forum. Is far easier to control. Forum is not as busy as it use to be, but when somebody do post something it is worth reading.

Facebook is a collection of data for a day or 2, then it is lost. On a forum you can find that article of ten years back and use the info.
Thanks very much for the suggestions, I will look into all of these this weekend.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors » Fri 26 May 2017, 08:13

For the security question your admin panel go to users and groups. In the links on the left choose custom profile fields and set it up there as a "required field" .

Can-Am ZN

Post by Can-Am ZN » Fri 26 May 2017, 08:27

pietpetoors wrote:
Thu 25 May 2017, 21:00
The new phpbb is designed to be more mobile friendly

Oh, where do I click on a topic under "Recent Active Topics" on the front page to go to the "last unread post"?
Look under the logo top left is a Quick links button. CLick that one and a menu will drop down with the active topics and all other popular links.
Oh ok...tx Piet.

Just a pity that there isn't a "Go to unread posts" button next to the topic under "Recently Active Topics" on the front page, like there used to be.
Gavin

1974 Chev Can-Am 302
1991 BMW 325iS Evolution (SOLD)

"The sad reality about the uneducated is that they don't know that they don't know." - Me

pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors » Fri 26 May 2017, 10:30

Is also in the drop down. On a mobile the screen is not big enough for lots of links, so they tend add more links in menus.
I am also still getting used to the mobile thing, but on a mobile you must also look for a menu where they hide all the links.
unread.jpg
unread topics
unread.jpg (67.04 KiB) Viewed 4223 times

Johann66

Post by Johann66 » Fri 26 May 2017, 11:54

How do I enter the For Sale notice? 8O

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Sun 28 May 2017, 10:12

Johann66 wrote:
Fri 26 May 2017, 11:54
How do I enter the For Sale notice? 8O
HI Johann, I haven't had any issues accessing the for sale section.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

Social Media