Forum sterf/ or what is it ,cold and rain?

Chat about anything that doenst fit in anywehere else
Forum rules
When posting topics on the forum please make sure:
  • ● The posts are not political
  • ● The posts are not about religion
  • ● Please keep posts civil and don't be nasty to other members
Scorpionman

Re: Forum sterf/ or what is it ,cold and rain?

Post by Scorpionman » Sun 21 May 2017, 16:28

I have been on this forum for a while. Some very interesting projects and topics. I am on a couple other forums too and have seen the slowdown on them too. As Karr said our Hotwheels forum died a slow death. Taken over by FB and WA. Both powerfull social media tools. WA is good for keeping in contact with fellow collectors and frineds. FB some like it, I dont. Try and find something that was mentioned 2 days ago. It is a struggle to find it. Forums have its place as a reference to keep stuff in a safe place.

You can go back to how Maverick has built his Ford GT or Brennan with his Mustang. Awesome builts from both of them with lots of detail work that will be hidden when the carpets is in or the boot/bonnet is closed. Thanks for sharing builts like that.

I dont have a muscle car but I joined, because there is a lot of info that is shared. Sure trying to find what to look for on a geniune Can-Am is difficult as all the info is kept secret to a select few. Getting into that circle is difficult.

I have bought an Alfa Sprint last month which I will restore in the next couple of years. Will share the rebuilt on the AlfaBB as I move on.

10-15 years ago you never knew about guys like Dean or Barry that does body work to the level that they do. English wheels and bead rollers were reserved for very few. Today you can go to them for metal shaping courses. Info are shared. Hopefully restorations today is a lot better than what it were years ago when bondo fixed everything. There is young people that are still interested in old cars and learn these skills. So to say that the next generation are not interested is not true. They are out there. The trick would be to keep them interested here and share their experiences.
1961 Alfa Giulietta Sprint
1971 Fiat 124 BC Coupe
1975 Fiat 132 GLS

brennan67

Post by brennan67 » Sun 21 May 2017, 17:01

IndianaJones wrote:
brennan67 wrote: I completely disagree...

There are plenty younger people coming into this hobby, met a whole bunch today, 20 somethings working on cars, getting involved, the internet and TV shows have exposed these youngsters to the hobby and passion like never before, but I can tell you a 20 year old is going to get quite bored coming here as there is very little to keep him as this site is so dated with low tech content (images, videos, social media links) etc. I am 43 so maybe I am young to some of you but I dont feel young anymore but maybe you older guys dont realise that the kids 20 years younger than me are very interested in cars, forums like this need to be the place that turns those interests into a actual hobby and place of learning, and these days learning is all about multimedia content and social media.
Case in point if I may, Jody. He is of a younger generation, which came here to learn, and has some projects on the roll. His last posting got no replies. The posting before that, got him some replies, but none of significance from the actual engine builders whom are members of this forum.
http://www.africanmusclecars.com/forum/ ... 42&t=22918
So we can see this is one part of the problem. I'd say you are in a fair position to answer, Brennan. Besides easier uploads, what would it take for guys with a lot of rebuilding experience such as yourself, to partake in discussions a lot more frequently? What would make it worthwhile and interesting/fun/involving for you?
Very good point... I had a look at the link and for me thats the 1st time I have read that thread Jody posted. I can see he is keen and wanting to learn and needs guidance which ZA Perana and a few others took some time to help and advise the guy.

Good question.. Me personally I would like more technical topics and discussions, more people posting their project buids with images, video of what they have done as well as references of what they want to do. This would engage me more.

Maybe ask a few experts to do articles on the forum. As an example a guy that does engine building on the forum for a living. Ask him what is he building cool and would he be interested to do a article on the forum. This is a way of generating much needed content on the forum as well as provide him for some free advertising exposure to his target market. Comments on his article will keep him coming back/ engaged in the article and the forum as a whole.

I think any website needs to be generating content to get views/hits, and participation generates further content which then snowballs..

ters

Post by ters » Sun 21 May 2017, 17:06

Content....It’s true that everyone who posts provides content..... I don’t mean (or discriminate!) a person who logs on every now and then: “How do I do this?… Where do I get that?” I mean the contributor who provides good, original content and discussions. The providers of unique and meaningful content are the most valuable members of our Forum, YOU!!

Many forum's activity appears to be in decline, the number of people visiting in general terms remains the same. What interests me more than the "Dying Forum" question is whether there has been a shift in the balance between forum contributors and consumers.... right now 11 users online, most people are reading but not posting?

Ease of adding pics and or video may see an increase in posts....upgraded security certainly will. Adding (paid) commercial advertisements, flashing logo's and colorful banners not....AMC Instagram/Twitter more distraction from here?!

Ters.
When it comes to the wife its easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission!
AMC Forum now accessible on Tapatalk! http://www.tsclassicclinic.co.za/

Alex

Post by Alex » Sun 21 May 2017, 17:26

I am part of the younger generation, as in 26 years old.
I might be writing something now that many don't want to hear, but that is just my 0.00002c.
In agreement with neresh's statement----There is a general lack of interest in what new members have to say... usually when someone else(not the old/frequent members) comments, the thread goes quiet. Thus what is the need to comment or participate... It is like their opinions are being sort of downplayed.
In the beginning I tried to participate....
I put up a thread here to show my progress on my firebird build... not a speck of interest from anyone, so why should I continue posting??
I have been posting my progress on american forums, where there is more interest and people who give me advice etc...
for me it seems that this is rather a private club than rather a community... So that for me is why the forum is getting quiet.. a lack of content created by a lack of interest...

BUT.. on the other hand I have experienced swift help for things that I needed on this forum... which was impressive and that is how I feel like it should be! A community that helps each other to keep the old cars going for the future generations.
There Is No Replacement For Displacement

80 Pontiac Trans Am - Project
93 Sapphire 5.0

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Sun 21 May 2017, 17:29

brennan67 wrote:
ZA Perana wrote:
Johann66 wrote:
werner wrote:Brennan, I think posting a pic is one of the big hassels. On newer forums one do not need to resize, you just post and it is resized by the server and it fits the screen. Some pics is on size with the limit, but one needs to move your screen sideways and up and down to view it. Thereby the time it takes and new members battling, not worth the while.
Agree! :D Another fact is that people from that era are growing old/ Passing away 8O I am turning 74 and might be starting a new project! Details will be given at a later stage. We need a younger generation that unfortunately we have not prepared! My own two sons are not interested! I know of several backyard restorers in my area that do not participate in internet activities. Reason? COST! The people that do have the financial ability, do their thing for themselves and do not share! I know several! That is why only one person is aware of my project in making! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Agree completely.
I completely disagree...

There are plenty younger people coming into this hobby, met a whole bunch today, 20 somethings working on cars, getting involved, the internet and TV shows have exposed these youngsters to the hobby and passion like never before, but I can tell you a 20 year old is going to get quite bored coming here as there is very little to keep him as this site is so dated with low tech content (images, videos, social media links) etc. I am 43 so maybe I am young to some of you but I dont feel young anymore but maybe you older guys dont realise that the kids 20 years younger than me are very interested in cars, forums like this need to be the place that turns those interests into a actual hobby and place of learning, and these days learning is all about multimedia content and social media.

I just laugh at this forum as if anyone posts a link and I click on it, all it does is take me AWAY from this forum (which is NOT What you want !!!) , where as it should open the link in a NEW TAB and when I am done with the link I am supposed to close the tab and return back to were I was on the forum. I can tell you EVERYONE either closes the tab and then realizes they have lost AMC forum page and goes somewhere else or they have to hit the back button numerous times on their web browser if they realize the AMC limitation which is very frustrating. These little things.. the devils is always in the little details.
A forum is not designed to "keep people entertained" its a social lounge of sorts and if you say there are so many people interested then where are they? Its not up to the contributors of this forum to "entertain" others, however if you scroll under the racing section there is much entertainment to be had re controversial race cars and heated discussions about provenance of ABC.

Does the forum need more multi media, perhaps yes, is it perfect, definitely not. However to say this hobby is growing fast and economics are irrelevant is perhaps slightly one sided in my opinion. If cars were accessible to people then this hobby would indeed grow, you mention TV, sure but has that really done anything besides give us 100 Eleanor clones and an expectation cars get built in 5 days.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Sun 21 May 2017, 17:48

brennan67 wrote:
IndianaJones wrote:
brennan67 wrote: I completely disagree...

Case in point if I may, Jody. He is of a younger generation, which came here to learn, and has some projects on the roll. His last posting got no replies. The posting before that, got him some replies, but none of significance from the actual engine builders whom are members of this forum.
http://www.africanmusclecars.com/forum/ ... 42&t=22918
So we can see this is one part of the problem. I'd say you are in a fair position to answer, Brennan. Besides easier uploads, what would it take for guys with a lot of rebuilding experience such as yourself, to partake in discussions a lot more frequently? What would make it worthwhile and interesting/fun/involving for you?
Very good point... I had a look at the link and for me thats the 1st time I have read that thread Jody posted. I can see he is keen and wanting to learn and needs guidance which ZA Perana and a few others took some time to help and advise the guy.

Good question.. Me personally I would like more technical topics and discussions, more people posting their project buids with images, video of what they have done as well as references of what they want to do. This would engage me more.

Maybe ask a few experts to do articles on the forum. As an example a guy that does engine building on the forum for a living. Ask him what is he building cool and would he be interested to do a article on the forum. This is a way of generating much needed content on the forum as well as provide him for some free advertising exposure to his target market. Comments on his article will keep him coming back/ engaged in the article and the forum as a whole.

I think any website needs to be generating content to get views/hits, and participation generates further content which then snowballs..
If you can find someone happy to do this for free with no direct commercial benefit (advertising) I would be happy to create a sub forum dedicated to that particular individual/enterprise. Unfortunately my experience of people is few would do this without direct compensation.

I do feel the technical forum has become a bit cumbersome.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

brennan67

Post by brennan67 » Sun 21 May 2017, 18:35

ZA Perana wrote:
brennan67 wrote:
ZA Perana wrote:
Johann66 wrote:
werner wrote:Brennan, I think posting a pic is one of the big hassels. On newer forums one do not need to resize, you just post and it is resized by the server and it fits the screen. Some pics is on size with the limit, but one needs to move your screen sideways and up and down to view it. Thereby the time it takes and new members battling, not worth the while.
Agree! :D Another fact is that people from that era are growing old/ Passing away 8O I am turning 74 and might be starting a new project! Details will be given at a later stage. We need a younger generation that unfortunately we have not prepared! My own two sons are not interested! I know of several backyard restorers in my area that do not participate in internet activities. Reason? COST! The people that do have the financial ability, do their thing for themselves and do not share! I know several! That is why only one person is aware of my project in making! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Agree completely.
I completely disagree...

I just laugh at this forum as if anyone posts a link and I click on it, all it does is take me AWAY from this forum (which is NOT What you want !!!) , where as it should open the link in a NEW TAB and when I am done with the link I am supposed to close the tab and return back to were I was on the forum. I can tell you EVERYONE either closes the tab and then realizes they have lost AMC forum page and goes somewhere else or they have to hit the back button numerous times on their web browser if they realize the AMC limitation which is very frustrating. These little things.. the devils is always in the little details.
A forum is not designed to "keep people entertained" its a social lounge of sorts and if you say there are so many people interested then where are they? Its not up to the contributors of this forum to "entertain" others, however if you scroll under the racing section there is much entertainment to be had re controversial race cars and heated discussions about provenance of ABC.

Does the forum need more multi media, perhaps yes, is it perfect, definitely not. However to say this hobby is growing fast and economics are irrelevant is perhaps slightly one sided in my opinion. If cars were accessible to people then this hobby would indeed grow, you mention TV, sure but has that really done anything besides give us 100 Eleanor clones and an expectation cars get built in 5 days.

Lol.. multimedia & social content is the way the word has gone, that ship has sailed long time ago, no point in resisting it because its how the world works these days. If you feel that this media is such a ghastly thing as "entertainment" then so be it... your words not mine. My point being that the idea of any website or forum is to keep people engaged, interested and to post content. As an example one of my 1st points of reference to see and learn how to do something is on youtube. From how to rebuild a V8 motor with step by step instruction, how to build a forum, or how to build a elanor its all there. You need to use the tools that are avail and video is a excellent medium.

I dont think economics have a role to play on the forum activity. More to do with content and perhaps attitude of members.. I am bringing this attitude thing up as quite a few new members seem to be saying that its a issue of senior members vs newbies.

But back to economics.. I bought my 1st muscle car when I was in my early 20's. I wanted a Mustang and I could not afford it back then, we talking the mid nineties, and just like most 20 year olds cant afford them now neither could I at the time. But I followed the newspapers and autotrader magazine for probably 2 years until I found a project car and I still could not afford it, anyway I managed to borrow some money and I got into the hobby. Reality is things in this hobby are NEVER Cheap.. you are fooling yourself to think so, and you never will be able to afford whatever you covert.. lets all be honest about that.

Now 20 years later I still cant afford that Boss 429 or that latest and greatest part, but I covert it, I read about them online, I learn about them in the hope that one day I can. Yet there will be someone here on a forum that can afford it and is doing it and I can learn and share in his experience and one day I will to be there and also hopefully share, and so and so and so.. you get the point.

Money is not a limiting factor on social media platforms because it has no cost, its free the only investment I must make is my time and (hopefully for community benefit) provide content.

Dragonkarr

Post by Dragonkarr » Sun 21 May 2017, 19:16

Alex wrote:I am part of the younger generation, as in 26 years old.
I might be writing something now that many don't want to hear, but that is just my 0.00002c.
In agreement with neresh's statement----There is a general lack of interest in what new members have to say... usually when someone else(not the old/frequent members) comments, the thread goes quiet. Thus what is the need to comment or participate... It is like their opinions are being sort of downplayed.
In the beginning I tried to participate....
I put up a thread here to show my progress on my firebird build... not a speck of interest from anyone, so why should I continue posting??
I have been posting my progress on american forums, where there is more interest and people who give me advice etc...
for me it seems that this is rather a private club than rather a community... So that for me is why the forum is getting quiet.. a lack of content created by a lack of interest...

BUT.. on the other hand I have experienced swift help for things that I needed on this forum... which was impressive and that is how I feel like it should be! A community that helps each other to keep the old cars going for the future generations.
I also lose interest fast if this happens!

Back when I joined, I was, uhm, 22/23? I got lots of reaction from the older members back then on posts, but if what Alex is saying is true... Then this actually needs to be addressed. No person - regardless of age! - would keep posting if they don't get (meaningful) response.

Some points keep popping up here:
*Facebook = Short Term info sharing; Forums = more meaningful, long term (ACCESSIBLE) info.
*Ease of posting multimedia clearly irks a lot of members;
*Quite a few (newer?) members feel there's some sort of 'clique' - is this happening? I've never liked cliques. They could kill a forum/hobby!
*Everyone wants the younger generation involved - then make the forum "younger", but still simple to use for everyone...

I think the forum needs a resto-modification :lol:
Smile and wave, boys; just smile and wave...

1979 Ford Escort Mk2 1.6 GL (Running Project - As in I keep running into surprises)
1981 Suzuki GS1000G (Standing Project - As in I'm standing there, wondering, what the previous oke was thinking)

Burnthosetyres

Post by Burnthosetyres » Mon 22 May 2017, 05:59

I certainly log on here a lot less. I also post less....

A few reasons. It's slow. It's a mission to post. I get constant errors... have to re-inter password etc:

But also hard to interact....

But it has a place & purpose.

When you have posted photos of 2 months hard work and progress on your project and you don't even get a ' looks okay' next time you dont bother.....

Just saying!
'A Camaro is a little animal that eats Mustangs!'

Dragonkarr

Post by Dragonkarr » Mon 22 May 2017, 06:18

Burnthosetyres wrote:I certainly log on here a lot less. I also post less....

A few reasons. It's slow. It's a mission to post. I get constant errors... have to re-inter password etc:

But also hard to interact....

But it has a place & purpose.

When you have posted photos of 2 months hard work and progress on your project and you don't even get a ' looks okay' next time you dont bother.....

Just saying!
Exactly!
Smile and wave, boys; just smile and wave...

1979 Ford Escort Mk2 1.6 GL (Running Project - As in I keep running into surprises)
1981 Suzuki GS1000G (Standing Project - As in I'm standing there, wondering, what the previous oke was thinking)

Social Media