What cars do you like/motoring memories.

Chat about anything that doenst fit in anywehere else
Forum rules
When posting topics on the forum please make sure:
  • ● The posts are not political
  • ● The posts are not about religion
  • ● Please keep posts civil and don't be nasty to other members
ZA Perana

What cars do you like/motoring memories.

Post by ZA Perana » Tue 14 Feb 2017, 20:28

The recent XR8, Can Am picture thread made me think of this topic.

I think a lot of what makes cars great is the history associated with them. For example when I drive the Capri I cast my mind back to what it must have been like to drive one in 1970, watching Z181 race, seeing the odd Can Am on the street, perhaps the roar of the "Big Daddy" Fairmont GT.

I recall one day I went out for a drive and I was cruising down the highway and behind me appeared what I thought was an Cortina XR6, it had the fog lights and was in period beige colour, I moved over to the left to enjoy the moment of two legendary Fords. He clearly was enjoying the moment too because when he drew up along side I admired this mint condition Cortina and noticed one tell tale badge on the fender "Xocet", this prompted a thumbs up from me and from him. I heard the Essex V6 next to me roar and it was on.

Basil Green Ford running against Simpson Ford (the Xocet was developed by Simpson Ford), unsurprisingly I had the advantage but had to brake much, much earlier as highway was running out and evidently he was either more brave than I or brakes had (definitely) improved between 1970 and 1983 odd.

I should point out this the owner of this Cortina looked quite "period" himself, in fact there was a faint passing resemblance to someone else who was famous/infamous in the 1980's: Andre Stander. Ironically the next time I saw this Xocet it was parked outside a police station!

In many respects I am lucky to get to drive some amazing(more to follow) cars but its not always power, acceleration that creates the memories.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

V8 fan

Re: What cars do you like/motoring memories.

Post by V8 fan » Tue 14 Feb 2017, 22:13

Well said Jacques ;)
'73 Chevrolet Can-Am
'71 Ford Capri Perana
'84 Ford Sierra XR8
'65 Ford Mustang Convertible
'72 Landy SWB "88 series 3

'78 CJ5 Willys Jeep
'73 Pontiac Grand Prix 400

sidedraught

Post by sidedraught » Wed 15 Feb 2017, 09:46

Great read!

I had a similar event happen to me, on my way home from the Piston Ring event in my Fiat 131 2000 Racing, and at the first intersection a Ford RS2000 parks next to me. Obviously the race was! :P :lol:

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Wed 15 Feb 2017, 21:41

sidedraught wrote:Great read!

I had a similar event happen to me, on my way home from the Piston Ring event in my Fiat 131 2000 Racing, and at the first intersection a Ford RS2000 parks next to me. Obviously the race was! :P :lol:
That must have been awesome. Two rare cars, both icons.

When I take my 916 GTV 3.0 for a drive (its got a non standard exhaust) and I listen to the V6, up to 3000 rpm it sounds great and you don't need to rev higher but when you do the engine really sings. Happened upon a E46 BMW 330 the other day and we enjoyed a spirited drive, the BMW was no match for the Alfa around the corners but my mind was cast back to the BMW and Alfa battles of the early 1980s.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

tobes

Post by tobes » Sun 05 Mar 2017, 22:02

Many years ago,I was travelling down to Durban on the highway.It was at a time before too many speedtraps and all this cameras next to the road.I travelled at ave speed of 140 km/h,then this Studebaker Lark overiook me.It felt if I was moving only 80 .The Studebaker looked like if was cruising casually.I don't see them on the roads anymore.Pity.

hitlers revenge

Post by hitlers revenge » Mon 06 Mar 2017, 16:18

A memory I will never forget was as a +/- 10 year old in my dads MG 1100.

The Cape Town "ou manne" will remember the braai area on the Cape Town side of Killarney and if you frequented Killarney in the day you would remember the traffic jams trying to get home towards Tableview.

No problem to my dad, he would take a short cut through the braai area to miss the T- junction exit.

This was great fun rallying through the trees of the braai area.

Whether it was quicker doing this I will never know. :)

Social Media