Ford motors vs Chevy's : whats wrong with you lot ?

Chat about anything that doenst fit in anywehere else
Forum rules
When posting topics on the forum please make sure:
  • ● The posts are not political
  • ● The posts are not about religion
  • ● Please keep posts civil and don't be nasty to other members
brennan67

Ford motors vs Chevy's : whats wrong with you lot ?

Post by brennan67 » Thu 05 Nov 2015, 21:26

As a true Blue Ford guy, I often hear the comments the the Chevy Brigade that Small Block Chevys (SBC) are cheaper too build for the same level of HP as Fords.

It does my head in when I see a Ford Hotrod with the wrong motor in it because its cheaper ! Not just in SA mind you in the USA as well, the 1st knee jerk reaction is mostly " but its cheaper" !

I know the guys justifying the Chevys in their Fords will say oh no not just cheaper but its more reliable too.. Well let me just cut you down now before you jump in with that reply and just say ja ja whatever as honestly we all know there is nothing true to justify that chirp and its just a chirp and leave it at that.. 8) 8)

The replica AC Cobra guys lined up with their 350 badges on the front fenders, lucky to spot a 427 or 351 badge at any a cobra gathering.

Early Ford T buckets, Model A's, 32's and many a Ford hotrod, very often with wrong motors.

I just dont get it, I really dont, why spend all the money on a build and compromise by putting a " but its cheaper" SBC in it ? Why ? I am not saying that a SBH is a bad motor not at all, I dont honestly believe there is anything in it between a Ford vs Chevy small block push rod motor when it comes down to performance in that a Chevy can put out as much as a Ford and visa versa for given parts and components i.e. like for like. Yes fords cost more but for performance there is nothing in it really between the 2, anyway all the go fast parts come from aftermarket brands like Edelbrock, Holley, Comp cams, MSD, Eagle, etc etc. not Ford or Chevy. So that argument is really a mute point.

We all like the idea of crate motors and given the move these days in putting aluminium EFI reliability into our classics of choice maybe the table have turned a bit in recent years ? Ford has moved over to the modular motor a few years ago and a 5.0 Coyote with its modern OHC setup at $7400 and 420hp is cheaper than a antiquated Chevy LS3 6.2L pushrod technology dinosaur at $7800. The Coyote does same HP at a cheaper price whats not to like?

I am just putting it out there that maybe we will start seeing a trend of Ford motors in Chevys in the future because "they are cheaper" and run modern technology. Its also interesting to point out that GM & Dodge if I am not mistaken is the only ones still to use this old pushrod technology.

So here is to those sexy Fords getting their true Blue power plants back and a plethora of Chevys with ford motors in ??
8)

Bearhawke

Re: Ford motors vs Chevy's : whats wrong with you lot ?

Post by Bearhawke » Fri 06 Nov 2015, 02:03

Nothing wrong with pushrod technology or; for that matter, 2 valve heads. If anything; I don't think overhead cams have a place on any V series engine, inline fours/sixes, I'm the opposite.
Bearhawke in Az, USA

1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager minivan.

Burnthosetyres

Post by Burnthosetyres » Fri 06 Nov 2015, 06:41

You see Brennan you don't see Ford motors in Chevys because we are educated! Ha ha.... Couldn't resist. But seriously I am no purist, I like Resto Mods and modern bling.... but I really do not like Cross Dressing.... If you can't afford a Ford V8 in your Ford then put a Ford V6 in but stay true to your mark!! But that's just me....

Then you see a Lexus V8 in a Cobra and I can hear Carol Shelby shed a tear in his grave.

The other day in my search for a 1st gen Porsche I came across a real bargain...: till I saw it was running an Alfa V6.... as they say, they walk among us!

But there was a time and a movement where it was function over form, and some have their reasons and they burn Tyres and have fun and couldn't give a shit.... and I think hey whatever blows your hair back! In the end we're all still car guys from different walks of life & I'll still have a beer with you, I just wount do it in my cars!!
'A Camaro is a little animal that eats Mustangs!'

IndianaJones

Post by IndianaJones » Fri 06 Nov 2015, 06:59

I agree with most of your sentiments Brennan. If it were up to me I’ll have a Ford powered Ford, and Chevy powered Chevy.

But my 2c is that there are reasons besides cost, for building certain Chevy powered Hot Rods.

Early Hot Rodders favoured the Flathead Ford V8’s, but then a fully built up Flathead made 185HP(according to “Big Daddy” Don Garlits).
When the Chevy 283 came along and even a stock single carb 283 made 185HP, in 1957 the fuel-injection version was one of the first V8’s to make 1HP per cubic inch. Since then the Small Block Chevy became the powerplant of choice. Back then it was all about cheap reliable HP, not brand loyalty. A hot rod wasn't a brand, it was a custom creation. Yes, there were other V8’s which made more HP, notably the Chryslers, but they weren’t built in the numbers the Chevy was. Ford’s Y-block of the same time arguably made similar HP, but Ford themselves phased it out by 1964 in favour of the SBF (Windsor). By that time the aftermarket already had 8 years to develop performance goodies for the SBC, ahead of the SBF. As much as I like the Flathead, and want a Flathead powered Rod one day, the 283 Chevy is truly a traditional Hot Rod motor.

Nowadays with the fuel-injected aluminium motors, the LSx engines with it’s push-rod activation, is still a better swap than the new Ford motors into classics, for one reason, the OHC V8’s are wider than the pushrod V8’s, in some cases even wider than a big-block, and thus more difficult to fit between the shock towers of an older vehicle, without serious cutting, and/or suspension conversion. Also which new cars have been sold in SA with Ford V8 mod motors? Will the new Mustang sell in the numbers the Lumina did?

jlebenon

Post by jlebenon » Fri 06 Nov 2015, 12:49

There's a reason that chevy small blocks and chevy Ls are put in everything ... Cos they're the fckn business ... End of story :lol:
2006 lumina ute
1973 El camino 353ci

jlebenon

Post by jlebenon » Fri 06 Nov 2015, 12:55

Seriously speaking they're all great engines so I agree with Brennan build a ford with a ford and a chevy with a chevy ... Dodge and chrysler don't bother building :lol:
2006 lumina ute
1973 El camino 353ci

Burnthosetyres

Post by Burnthosetyres » Fri 06 Nov 2015, 13:04

There was a 69 Valiant Baracuda for sale not so long ago with a 350 Chevy.... and wait for it the price was R495k I choked on my cornflakes!!

Mopar is next level expensive apparently.... But do it right or don't do it!
'A Camaro is a little animal that eats Mustangs!'

KSF

Post by KSF » Fri 06 Nov 2015, 14:54

I agree with Brennan and I'll go a step further to say I don't get why one would stuff a modern engine in a classics, restomod or not. I get modern ignition systems, new carb, modern intake and maybe modern aluminium heads. I dont get a Lexus engine in a classic and my personal worst, a 2JZ turbo in a Cobra! Sacriledge!

Ford vs Chevy: The Bowtie guys should go and Google why Nascar thought it necesary to outlaw Ford's Boss motors. The Boss(es) were boss. That set up one of the dummest corperate decision of all time when Ford decided to throw their toys out and withdraw factory support from motorsport. It left Chevy in the race on their own and they made full use of it.

Ford's SB's, especially the 'thinwall' windsors do have a problem at elevated power levels, as in approaching 100hp/l and they dont like a big overbore in any case. Fix that, and there really is not much in it at all.

That said, I am guilty too, my Cobra has a 350SBC on 350T box. My excuse is "that is how I got it"! I rebuilt the SBC to get it in good shape to sell before replacing it with a Clevor. Still the plan, just have not got round to it.

ters

Post by ters » Fri 06 Nov 2015, 16:06

jlebenon wrote:Seriously speaking they're all great engines so I agree with Brennan build a ford with a ford and a chevy with a chevy ... Dodge and chrysler don't bother building :lol:
8O Pass them on to the Mopar guys please?! ;)

Ters.
When it comes to the wife its easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission!
AMC Forum now accessible on Tapatalk! http://www.tsclassicclinic.co.za/

parkerya

Post by parkerya » Fri 06 Nov 2015, 19:18

i'll take a stock Chrysler 318 over a stock Ford 302 or Chev 350
A stock Chrysler 383 over a stock Ford 351

Mopar or no Car :lol: :lol: :lol:
" better to be a racer for a moment than a spectator for a lifetime"

Social Media