U-Joint GMB-210-1200

Post here if you are looking for hard to find parts
Forum rules
If you are not a regular forum member, please introduce yourself in the Indroduce yourself/Welcome to new members section. Tell who you are, where you are from and some background details. Your advertisements will be deleted if you don't.
IndianaJones

Re: U-Joint GMB-210-1200

Post by IndianaJones » Wed 06 May 2015, 18:51

Attachments
UniversalJoint.jpg
UniversalJoint.jpg (50.96 KiB) Viewed 2626 times

Doug Hirkham

Post by Doug Hirkham » Thu 07 May 2015, 10:40

Just shows how we take things for granted - one must never presume that the guy asking for help knows what the forum members are talking about. For the technically minded blokes we must remember that this is what the forum is for - to help each other.

Once Weasel has had somebody in to help him replace the U-joint, and sees what it's all about, he'll be a much wiser person. But make sure you get somebody who knows what he's doing, Weasel, because no matter how many joints one replaces, it is always a ticklish
operation. Don't try and do it yourself the first time!

Weasel

Post by Weasel » Thu 07 May 2015, 13:15

Johann72 wrote:Pardon my ignorance!! Is that not a prop shaft! 8O 8O

same difference i think unless someone can enlighten us.
wiki seems to agree :P http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drive_shaft

Weasel

Post by Weasel » Thu 07 May 2015, 13:22

Doug Hirkham wrote:Just shows how we take things for granted - one must never presume that the guy asking for help knows what the forum members are talking about. For the technically minded blokes we must remember that this is what the forum is for - to help each other.

Once Weasel has had somebody in to help him replace the U-joint, and sees what it's all about, he'll be a much wiser person. But make sure you get somebody who knows what he's doing, Weasel, because no matter how many joints one replaces, it is always a ticklish
operation. Don't try and do it yourself the first time!

Thanks for the sentiment and the help although i must confess i am rather technically minded, just haven't done this yet and there's always a first time. mind you in this particular case if it will be press fitted i don't have the equipment anyhow so ill just have it done, sommer both, and have it balanced whilst i'm busy, there's a mean vibration at 140 when i let off which syncs up with the drive line. did i say 140 i meant 120 ;)

Doug Hirkham

Post by Doug Hirkham » Thu 07 May 2015, 14:07

The u-joint is not press fitted - you just need a 6" vice. The big problem is knowing how to put the bearing carriers in without one of the rollers slipping to the bottom. Then, when you press the other side in you push the fallen roller through the end of the carrier. Just get one of your local motor mechs to help you with the first one, then you can do them yourself.

The vibration is understandable considering the u-joint was so worn that the prop fell off.

Weasel

Post by Weasel » Thu 13 Aug 2015, 07:38

So about a month ago finally took my truck to a local mechanic so I can have this done. I was thinking yeah, i could probably do it myself but the clutch is on the fritz as well and i don't really have the time, its better to have it sorted by someone quickly because it will surely take me a week, the Dodge has become my work bakkie so downtime is now an issue.

Now i'm not in the habit of ruining peoples reputations so the shop in question shall remain nameless. In short this is what happened. I explicitly told the guy 1. use the correct parts, if you have an issue call me i will help source anything, let me know what you intend to put in!. 2. don't cut or weld anything to make it work! 3. please use a castrol GL4 gear oil, i think there may be some yellow metal in the box and i believe that one is safe. He told me 2 days and that was it.

After a day he asked for payment, ok fine no problem, but you didn't tell me anything on the parts you intend to install. I know i'm being a pain here but i am particular and it is my baby after all. So he tells me... and i approve... work commences. From here I received no calls, no updates for two and a half weeks. I have to phone then he doesn't answer. I drive there and then get told later today, ill call you. but he doesn't. The next day the same thing. every day an excuse but not actually telling me what the problem is. almost 3 weeks of this absolutely crap service. Best thing, i'm stuck with laryngitis and can hardly speak so i cant even raise my voice.

so what did i end up with. A clutch that shudders so much my bakkie looks like an epileptic grasshopper, and a drive shaft that will never be the same, i had to stand there unable to speak, listening to him proudly explain how he cut the bearing holder to accept another U-joint.

So if not to name and shame why my post?

Simply this, If you can do it yourself then just do it. if you haven't done it before, just give it a go because you cant F%*@ it up worse than some moron who doesn't care.
Attachments
20150805_134421 (Small).jpg
20150805_134421 (Small).jpg (121.07 KiB) Viewed 2534 times

Social Media