Forum rules
When posting topics on the forum please make sure:
  • ● The posts are not political
  • ● The posts are not about religion
  • ● Please keep posts civil and don't be nasty to other members
Hi-Fi

IMPORTANT, IMPORTANT!

Post by Hi-Fi » Thu 09 Oct 2008, 22:16

Guys, I don't know if you have heard or not, but the council in East London are trying to close the very historic Grand Prix circuit and are planning to build a university and campus on the site.

Whether your interests lie in restoring of cars for show, building of engines, or any type of motoring, we are all in the same boat to a greater or lesser degree in that we all have common interest. I don't believe there is one single member on this forum who have not heard of the East London track.

Please guys, I am asking for each one of you to log in to http://www.hrcr.co.za to sign the petition against this ridiculous move that the council is trying to pull.

Let's try and preserve a little bit of our motoring history in South Africa!

Fairlane 500

Re: IMPORTANT, IMPORTANT!

Post by Fairlane 500 » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 08:28

I have been asleep for a while. When I saw this it made me upset. Many years ago thet broke down some lovely old buildings in Pretoria which can never be built again. Nowadays they are trying to change names. On the motoring front, they took away Roy Hesketh in Piermaritzburg and built factories and housing. They say that the track is going to be opened again. How can it happen if a portion has been built on? Now they want to take away a heritage site at East London going back to before the War when racing first started in this country. East London was one of the first Grand Prix tracks in South Africa. All the rest has gone, even Kyalami. The Kyalami of today is not the real track.

I have signed the petition. I hope all of us will.

Gavin RS

Post by Gavin RS » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 10:49

I have signed already.

A few years ago in the UK they council tried to close down one of the most famous Hill Climb tracks as the lease had expired. The club needed to raise £1million to save the event..club membere and enthusiasts etc managed to raise the funds and saved the track for the next 10-15 years or so,, wish we had the right people over hear that could actually buy the property and create an environment like Zwartkops has done....
1984 Rover Vanden Plas V8 (Historic Race car)
1986 Rover 3500 Vitesse (UK Import Ex London Police Car)
1983 Rover Vanden Plas undergoing conversion to race car.
2009 Ford Territory ST,
2006 Ford Fiesta 1.6 Auto, daily driver

FPT

Post by FPT » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 13:21

I don't want to change this into a political debate but what the hell is happening to this country of ours? Street names changed, historic buildings being leveled, historic race circuits being closed down etc. I hear the Springbok is also not good enough any more for rugby and will be changed within three weeks. How do we as a country stand up to the arrogant behavior and open waste of heritage and taxpayers money!
Greetings
Andre'
Greetings
André

There is no Replacement for Displacement!!!

Hi-Fi

Post by Hi-Fi » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 13:33

But Gavin, we HAVE got companies in the country that can buy places like East London. What about all the oil companies?

Hi-Fi

Post by Hi-Fi » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 13:37

So right Andre! Remember, the Springbok emblem is devisive! We, all of us, need to look to the future and preserve ALL of our history. Forget about the past. It's done and dusted. No one can change what has been, but we can build for the future. I think the leaders in this country should take leaf out of Germany's book! Anyway, enough of that, I guess

gordini

Post by gordini » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 15:38

Hi-Fi wrote: Anyway, enough of that, I guess
Ja please, this topic will get us all diemoerin and then we do and say things about the Gov and other worthless instututions, that we will [hopefully] regret later..........i voted a week ago :evil: :evil:
In my old age...
i drink a tripple,i see double and i act single..

From Malmesbury

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Mon 13 Oct 2008, 21:54

OFF TOPIC: Hey Fairlane 500 good to see you back! :D

Johann65

Post by Johann65 » Mon 13 Oct 2008, 22:31

Anybody remember the PE 500 and the track between PE and Uitenhage around the salt pan? 8O 1950's If you are over 65 you may remember 8)
Member No: 209
Ah! Yes I remember it well! (Only GM's!)
1966 Opel Rekord L CLASSIC SEDAN Current Project

Social Media