351C help needed.

Any questions or suggestions regarding restorations
Bennie

351C help needed.

Post by Bennie » Tue 26 Aug 2008, 09:49

Hi

I am new on the V8 scene and can do with all the advice I can get from the experienced okes. I recently bought a 73 F100 with a Fairmont GT drive train fitted. The 351C unfortunately is not running to well, and needs some carb work. Before I send the carb in for a rebuild, I would like to make sure it is the right on for the vehicle.(Holley: List-6291-1, 3249) Does this mean anything to anyone? Can anyone recommend a carb expert in CPT? I would also like to replace the cracked exh manifolds with branches, but heard rumors that they create problems on the 351C. Any truth in that? What cam is recommended for moderate street performance?
only milk and juice should come in 2 liters

hanov0

Re: 351C help needed.

Post by hanov0 » Tue 26 Aug 2008, 10:36

From my records that is a 390 cfm carb. much to small for a Cleveland unless you like to replace burnt valves.
Better to look for a 600cm upwards.
Never had any problems with headers. Also you mentioned its a 4v , Not a good choice for an F- series truck IMO.
I would use a 212 I and 224 E duration. Nice RV cam
Cheers
Hano'

For custom Aluminum work www.saicperformance.com

moby302

Post by moby302 » Wed 27 Aug 2008, 10:02

Why do all F100's seem to have cracked exhaust manifolds?

Benny, remember with a truck like the F100 you are looking for torque more than speed. You need a workhorse to power it, not a perfomance engine, personally, and I am sure I will get shouted down on this one, but I think the Ford Inline 6 engines have way more grunt power than the V8's, our old ranchero with 250cui inline 6 could pull anything around the yard. So thats goes back to the branches, they won't make much of a difference as you are not really going to be racing around in the F100, on the other hand, the engine bay of the F100 has loads of space so putting in branches would not be a problem, unlike our cougar where you can barely move around the engine.

I am starting to hate Holley carbs, wish I could find a nice old fashioned 4 barrel Autolite to replace my holley, they are so damn finicky, always packing up ;)
Moby's Site - Car Related Information, Photos
S A Transport Site - Photos of Various Modes of Transport in South Africa

I am a legend in my own mind, if you want sun, give me a shout and I will stand up, I look in the mirror and see perfection!

hanov0

Post by hanov0 » Wed 27 Aug 2008, 12:22

Ill agree with moby. Torque is what youre need.
The Holley vacume secodaries are a big pain in the $@#!!.
Cheers
Hano'

For custom Aluminum work www.saicperformance.com

Bennie

Post by Bennie » Wed 27 Aug 2008, 23:22

Hi Guys,

Thanx for the replies. Does not seem like you guys are too impressed with the low down power of the 351C? Well, if it’s any consolation, it’s nothing more than a hobby/toy truck. I have a V6 D/C to drag the caravan around on holiday. Actually I bought the 73 F100 as a engine donor for my 56 F100 rebuild project, but then realized that the condition was not as bad as I thought, and decided to rather restore it. Just love the sound of a rumbling V8, especially with branches, even though I’ve never noticed the performance difference on any of my cars before. It’s that metallic sound I’m after. What was the std Fairmont GT carbs like? Chances are good that I can get my hands on the original.

Thanx

Bennie
only milk and juice should come in 2 liters

RASSIE

Post by RASSIE » Thu 28 Aug 2008, 07:07

Hi Bennie a F100, is a truck that will run for ever. I got my 5th F100 and it is a good truck. I use my truck twice a week with a 351W and 5 speed T5 gearbox. I got a Holley on and got 40 spare Holley carbs. They are good if they are recon. My F250 4x4 got a 460 with a 750 Holley and no nonsense as well.
The best advice to you is to take the 4V heads of and put 302C heads with a 2V intake and a Motorcraft carburator. That is plenty torque and reliable. Cheers Rassie.
http://www.rassiesauto.co.za/
“Cowboys do not ride donkeys”
“I will die driving a V8”

moby302

Post by moby302 » Tue 02 Sep 2008, 18:39

Hi Bennie

We are all impressed with the power of a 351C :D I would love a 4V in the cougar.
Moby's Site - Car Related Information, Photos
S A Transport Site - Photos of Various Modes of Transport in South Africa

I am a legend in my own mind, if you want sun, give me a shout and I will stand up, I look in the mirror and see perfection!

Social Media