Forum rules
When posting topics on the forum please make sure:
  • ● The posts are not political
  • ● The posts are not about religion
  • ● Please keep posts civil and don't be nasty to other members
Gavin RS

Re: BREAKING NEWS - CAPE TOWN HARBOUR CONTAINER TERMINAL

Post by Gavin RS » Mon 10 Sep 2007, 10:41

You guys have some real passion towards the cars.

As far as I am concerned, if you are not in the business of buying and selling muscle cars and classic cars then who cares about prices.As long as you own and enjoy your cars and show them for time to time then that should be what counts.

Placing a value to a certain car is not hard.
Yes the huge classic car crash in "90-91" saw a lot of people losing huge amounts of money in a very short time.That market has slowly gained value to where it is today and has been stable for quite a few years.and the experts in Europe and the US are saying it will remain like that for years to come.
The cars we have in SA are more valuable to an overseas buyer due to its exclusivity and uniqueness,the sale of your GT or CanAm is short term and there will always be the "what if factor" should I have waited longer and made a bigger profit, or should I have rather kept my car etc etc.Our exchange rate always catches us out, it is great for exporting at the moment.but who knows.

All our muscle cars should be bought and sold locally where the prices can be made stable and values are realistic to a potential buyer.If a car has a genuine race history then obviously values increase.But keep them hear for all the enthusiasts.
1984 Rover Vanden Plas V8 (Historic Race car)
1986 Rover 3500 Vitesse (UK Import Ex London Police Car)
1983 Rover Vanden Plas undergoing conversion to race car.
2009 Ford Territory ST,
2006 Ford Fiesta 1.6 Auto, daily driver

Firenza GT

Post by Firenza GT » Mon 10 Sep 2007, 12:12

Well at the rate we are still moving, it's slowed down abit maybe yes, soon you'll struggle even to find a few Chev Nomad's that has not been "re-designed", fitted ith a Ford V6 or motors of sorts. The stockcar crowd did an excellent job of destroying their limited lip diffs. We considered making ours diesel then decided against it as it simply would not be a Nomad anymore. This "Iron Duke" 2500 31 year old motor a month ago did did a quick 2500 km in two days from Namibia down including long distance on dirt roads. all my brotehr did was change the oil, check the points and off they went. It's not a Musclecar but still it was somewhere there in that era seen at places where Musclecars hung out. As far as I am aware the highest "content" locally made vehicle to date. So we have a 5 speed in ours. But everything reversable in an afternoon with the prop, 4 speed and bits stored.

Chev Nomad, Suid Afrika se eie "skaapkarrekie .......

Who remembers "They Call Me Kelly" TV series years ago ?

Stealth GT

Post by Stealth GT » Mon 10 Sep 2007, 17:16

Hi to all

Daan maybe you should sell those GT's and invest in some cups and sauces , maybe some Royal Albert :D

Listen I don't want to go on about driving Ive driven V8's that are more temperamental than a Fairmont Gt in Cape Town wet weather Im talking about driving year after year ,beacause I never wanted to own anything else but a V8 and when my car's are up and running Ill not be one of those people that only drive them on a sunny day and go on a V8 run with the Isuzu or the wifes Kombi .

I suppose my reasoning behind it all is that I was raised on V8's and Im not worried what they are worth and more about the goose bumps I get when they run flat out

Cheers Warren

Firenza GT

Post by Firenza GT » Mon 10 Sep 2007, 17:57

I did just that in the 80's in a big way Warren. And got away with it. Hit the fence behind the main stand there at Killarney before they put those speedbumps. Was thrown out of Killarney for that too. Stopped completely out of control centremetres from a kerb on a main road. This all in a Can Am in the wet. Chased anything that was 750 and below bikes before these race reps arrived. Got arrested in Cape Town central and made to attend a "rehabillitation" road thing that for wheelspinning through first and well into second between robots. Holy Mackerell, thank goodness I got through that as now it's taxi's too, poor roads and camera's everywhere.

For a person living on a salary on the Railway I think it's best to not do any of that anymore as the cars now probably are creeping up in value of what my pension fund is worth !

John zahistorics will explain to you that this behaviour could not have been possible. As they guy wants to jump out his own car when I drive. I crawl with his Capri V8 and it's just lekker, safe in a way, sounds lekker and like a time warp. Most importantly I have stopped riskign the lives of others which I was most guilty of every time I carried on like I did back then. Then again yes, a burst in safe enviroment is just as good.

FairmontGT
Site Admin

Post by FairmontGT » Mon 10 Sep 2007, 18:03

I drive a bit less like a maniac since I totalled one of my rims on the sidewalk - but when I get into the car I really struggle not to drive it hard, it might be impossible.
Yes we did build muscle cars in RSA!!!!
http://www.africanmusclecars.com

Stealth GT

Post by Stealth GT » Mon 10 Sep 2007, 18:31

Guys I was the same have a prang and swear Ill never do it again ,man Ive landed in the old graveyard at the libertas robots,taken out a street lamp 100 m from my parents house but once that feel of power comes in all is forgotten :D

But today I must admit Ive matured a bit and I rather do the burst on the open road
Cheers

Firenza GT

Post by Firenza GT » Mon 10 Sep 2007, 18:41

I think back now when I paid 2000 bucks for a Honda CBX in 1986 19 000 km's on the clock. Just as with the cars, we wound them up till those 24 valves stuttered.

Today I look at this same bike with just 27 000 km and say sorry all the time to it. Please don't break now, won't do that again as the last I saw a headgasket was probably on the way to 2000 bucks.

So I think it was just an era where the odd's were more for us than against us. escpecially the mid eighties, everything was cheap even relative to period salaries. But sure, that temptation never goes away.

72XYGT

Post by 72XYGT » Mon 10 Sep 2007, 18:49

Well now guys..... huh, I'm a bit too old for that now. I'd rather sit and have a cup of tea from the wifes fine china!
NO WAY!!!! I love the sound of a V8 and for me its always better pedal to the metal. Took a friend the other day for a spin in the white XYGT and just could'nt resist flooring it. I just love it! My friend also bought a GT, its a manual and looks absolutely great.
Cheers,
Daan

Firenza GT

Post by Firenza GT » Mon 10 Sep 2007, 19:19

With regards peddling a Fairmont, this is my take. I have put an auto through it's paces on dry and wet road. It felt very controllable however with my bit of school physics memory something kept warning me about weight. Where as the Can Am for example in the wet tends to go out of control very quick and tend to want to spin like a top around the heavy lump of motor, the Fairmont feels like a big boat that will go through a harbour breakwater wall. The manual Fairmont actually scared me abit. Ok say it's only about 300 horses, but it hauls like a big Perana as you shift. Man there's nothing like that shaker shifting as you shift. You can see the motor torque over as it pulls then relaxes till the next flooring of the pedal.

Fairmont GT, in my opinion the most usable, practical plain spacious 4 door musclecar seen around here. And I think that must have something to do why they are becoming so valuable. The Aussies can't be wrong too !

TdL351GT

Post by TdL351GT » Mon 10 Sep 2007, 20:08

As far as I am concerned, if you are not in the business of buying and selling muscle cars and classic cars then who cares about prices.As long as you own and enjoy your cars and show them for time to time then that should be what counts

Agree with you Gavin...I love my cars for what they mean to me.

For the great times they remind me of.
For the good times we are having now.
For all the good friends I've made through all these years that share the same passion for these cars.
For how special they make me feel when being admired by others.
For the adrenalin rush I get when flooring a willing V8.

Not for what they're worth anywhere else in the world!!!

This is how I feel about each of my cars...and that is something that money cannot buy. That is something you cannot put a value too.
And the true enthusiast and car lover will feel that way about his 6 cylinder Fairmont as well. Even if its the only car he has got. So much more the reason for him never to sell it.

Firenza...I admire and respect your love and devotion towards the Firenza. Both for the CanAm and the 2.5. Remember somebody mentioning the 2door body not being the prettiest car, but its funny how when you grow up with something it grows on you. To me the CanAm has great lines, and I would love to have that 2 door...regardless of the engine size.

Another thing that brought back memories was the bike thing! I remember paying R3300 for a brand new 750FA in 1981. Metallic blue. Exactly like John Clark's who won the 750 Championship in that year on a similar bike. Didn't miss a race on Killarney back then. Rod Gray, Dave Petersen, Kevin Petersen, Kevin Hel???ier(cant remember the spelling) Remember Motor Cycle Mecca in Parow?

Sorry Tiaan...I know it should be about cars.

regards

Theuns
There is no replacement for cubic inches....

Social Media