Forum rules
When posting topics on the forum please make sure:
  • ● The posts are not political
  • ● The posts are not about religion
  • ● Please keep posts civil and don't be nasty to other members
Firenza GT

Re: TOP 10 GARAGE

Post by Firenza GT » Sat 01 Sep 2007, 19:33

If they are both standard, you get out of a just run Can Am, climb into a Capri Perana and leave the scene. You will feel excited at first, noisy, endless first gear, short shifts there after and all that. Then you check that 45 litre tank fuel guage has moved within a very short time. Get stuck in traffic on a hot day, a standard unmodified one that is and feel it spit in your face and sulk. On return get back into the Perana and you will see just how easy and unruffled the whole Perana conversion was as a practical and usable classic in any conditions. First gear "wheels" you gently forward more like an extra-torque 3 litre Capri, not as noisy, reasonable on fuel, no noisy solid lifters, no clapping piston's in the bore and so on.

Probably why many Can Am's were sold over and over through gatvol owners expecting a 230 km/h rocket and the general perception of them from the side. Sold through having learnt to swear fluently when things go wrong as they do if not maintained. See, you got to have some level of stubborness and like for them to be able to "enjoy" such a car. We mostly forget that an 11:1 motor with warnish enough cam to make shopping awkward and a 1st gear that's more like a secondwill get upset when not freely revved or allowed to run out on open roads.
Last edited by Firenza GT on Sat 01 Sep 2007, 20:30, edited 1 time in total.

TdL351GT

Post by TdL351GT » Sat 01 Sep 2007, 20:04

Nee man Theuns, nie 'n Capri Perana of Can Am nie. As jy braaivleis en sonskyn geniet het moet een van hulle op jou lys wees !

Sorry Firenza…Did that on purpose. To be honest, but if I have to choose between them, the CanAm will come out tops easily. I’m not a Capri fan, never have been. Sorry ZA.

Something strange is happening though, must be an age thing, but this new Lumina SS…eeishhh. Donno, but I like that car!!

regards

Theuns
There is no replacement for cubic inches....

Firenza GT

Post by Firenza GT » Sat 01 Sep 2007, 20:37

Of all these cars the Fairmont GT is the bigdaddy of them. To me the most no-nonesnse get up and go comfortable, powerfull enough and fast practical 4 door saloon. With an attitude shaker in you face ! The smaller V8's if you fill them with just 4 adults and the Fairmont just the driver just to level out the weight abit, then we see who can get into the 14's over the quartermile ? Standard unmodified that it ? The Fairmont's were worth over 220 km/h in 1970 already is'nt it ? And probably the best loved caravan tower this country has known through generations. Then they go on and win at Bathurst too ..........

FairmontGT
Site Admin

Post by FairmontGT » Sat 01 Sep 2007, 21:17

ZA Per. don't tell anyone that the Capri was a better finnished off car, better engineered conversion, lighter on fuel, easy to drive and cost less when new .....

A toyota corolla is also light on fuel, easy to drive and cost less when new. And thats the main reason I'll never drive one. (And my wife says she will never drive one because their handling sucks).

My point is with that argument I think you wont win many converts on this forum!

Start being more enthused about your CanAm Firenza GT!
Yes we did build muscle cars in RSA!!!!
http://www.africanmusclecars.com

V8GFISH

Post by V8GFISH » Tue 04 Sep 2007, 19:59

Well it's a good thing i love all brands of cars, at least that way you get to experiance and appreciate them all.
Once a Rev Head....... 8)
Cheers, Daz
72 Capri Perana
www.perthcapri.com

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21

Gavin RS

Post by Gavin RS » Tue 04 Sep 2007, 21:57

FairmontGT wrote:
ZA Per. don't tell anyone that the Capri was a better finnished off car, better engineered conversion, lighter on fuel, easy to drive and cost less when new .....

A toyota corolla is also light on fuel, easy to drive and cost less when new. And thats the main reason I'll never drive one. (And my wife says she will never drive one because their handling sucks).

My point is with that argument I think you wont win many converts on this forum!

Start being more enthused about your CanAm Firenza GT!

A Toyota is like a kitchen appliance,there when you need it but easily forgotten, but it is also an excuse for not walking,personallynI love a good walk.

I could never choose, I would have to have a CanAm and a Perana
1984 Rover Vanden Plas V8 (Historic Race car)
1986 Rover 3500 Vitesse (UK Import Ex London Police Car)
1983 Rover Vanden Plas undergoing conversion to race car.
2009 Ford Territory ST,
2006 Ford Fiesta 1.6 Auto, daily driver

Firenza GT

Post by Firenza GT » Fri 07 Sep 2007, 23:23

Well Gavin, I'll bear you in mind but be warned that for some reason the whole Can Am phenonema has been dissapointing. By now after most have been taken apart, crashed and so on, we'd hope to see some sort of historical significance to the cars. But it seems that the numerous copies some even anounced as "so original" recent article in S&S, has done the cars no justice. The Can Am will survive abroad as the present owners there (Perth, California, UK and Sweden) are all intent on detailed restorations to original where their cars lack now. If you look at local cars for some reason once they have been worked on they go in all directions of partial restoration mixed with custom. Yet they are so easy to restore being based on the Firenza chassis.

Gavin RS

Post by Gavin RS » Mon 10 Sep 2007, 09:48

I must agree with you there.It is a pet hate of mine how cars get trashed in SA.

When I say that I would like both cars, they would have to be totally original and unmolested.

I do agree however with the previous post that the Perana was a better car overall.The CanAm was a hot rod...but that what is expected of the car.
1984 Rover Vanden Plas V8 (Historic Race car)
1986 Rover 3500 Vitesse (UK Import Ex London Police Car)
1983 Rover Vanden Plas undergoing conversion to race car.
2009 Ford Territory ST,
2006 Ford Fiesta 1.6 Auto, daily driver

Firenza GT

Post by Firenza GT » Mon 10 Sep 2007, 12:22

Well Gavin, you're the type of oke I would'nt mind seeing a car I have treasured going to. What I am doing is drawing up a bluepring for detailed restoration. very detailed to things like washer's, screws and nuts. We have that information is other manuals which apply to our ZA cars. As we have gone through much effort to go out and look for detail again, buy it, source it whatever, our cars can only be moved on to anyone that would apreciate this. Here the criteria does not seen to be as such. Little things, trimmings, trim etc.

After all these years now it's sort of become irrelevent which is best. Both Can Am and Perana are absolute ZA icons second to nothing in their specific era of power craziness. The thing now is to restore them meticulously so that one can share the experience with other fellow enthiusiasts of how different they really were. and that is what is becoming less and less likely as Can Am's for example are being "improved" with modern mods etc. When you get into an original Can Am you must hear that rough noise, it must be a pig after you start it. And when you get into a Capri Perana you must feel relieved you got out the Can Am into a civilised and well sorted practical classic. But in the end they both represent themselves a different phase of madness of the seventies.

Arnold du P

Post by Arnold du P » Mon 06 Oct 2014, 21:26

I like this thread!
Please don't bite off my head for my choice in cars.

1. 1973 Chevrolet Firenza Cam-Am
A friend of mine's dad still own a original one. Love the story and history behind this car.
2. 1971 Chevrolet Custom-10
My Grandpa had one. Sentimental attachment to this truck. Will give anything to have that truck back and
looking like it looked last time I saw it.
3. 1973 Opel Manta A 1600 GT
Well I own one. Lovely car.
4. 1969 Chevrolet Camaro SS/RS/Z28
Love this iconic muscle car.
5. 1969 Dodge Charger R/T
Well who doesn't wan't to own one.
6. 1951 Chevrolet 3100 Pick-up
Iconic classic Pick-up truck
7. 1972 Chevrolet Chevelle SS
This car screams Muscle car.
8. 1991 Opel Kadett Superboss
Not a muscle car, but a South African legend.
9. 2013 Chevrolet Lumina SS
This car will be a classic in a few years time, one of very few new cars that can put a smile on your face.
10. Hummer H1- Military spec
Why not, I liked it from the day I saw this monster.

Thanks for allowing me to share this info.

Social Media