Fairmont (XY) 6cyl to GT restauration (Sort of)

Any questions or suggestions regarding restorations
FAIRMONTXY

Fairmont (XY) 6cyl to GT restauration (Sort of)

Post by FAIRMONTXY » Thu 24 Jul 2008, 12:37

Hi Guys,my first time on the forum.
I found this gem in a store room outside pretoria and intend on making a sort of clone of a GT but with a few modern touches(Digital instrumentation etc.) My only problem now is getting storage sorted.My dad used to have a 1970 (XW) shape Fairmont GT Reg no NV4471 (if any one knows it used to be candy white with a shaker instead of a side scoop) wich he swopped for a Cortina 3.0 S!!!!!!!

The body seems to be in fair condition except for the usual rust on the doors.As you can see from the pics im gonna need doors(the ones with rust) and also lenses on the outside.The interior is still 99% complete,just want to get rid of the coulomn shift!!!!! No engine and gearbox though.

Please let me know what parts you guys have lying around.Im in Pretoria. Need to get this baby up an running asap.

RASSIE

Re: Fairmont (XY) 6cyl to GT restauration (Sort of)

Post by RASSIE » Thu 24 Jul 2008, 13:26

Hi, you are very lucky to find a Fairmont so close to Perana cars. Cheers Rassie.
http://www.rassiesauto.co.za/
“Cowboys do not ride donkeys”
“I will die driving a V8”

FAIRMONTXY

Post by FAIRMONTXY » Thu 24 Jul 2008, 14:05

Hi Rassie,I have read most of your posts,so I asume youre quite a boffin on these cars......From the pics I posted do you think she is weort the effort??

macca9

Post by macca9 » Thu 24 Jul 2008, 17:23

To be honest I think you are gonna spend a lot of money and time trying to restore this car even if the car is for free to strat with. There are actually still some very good fairmonts arround for very decent prices if you are patient. I think in the long run you will be better off spending 20K-35K and get yourself a really good body that is complete with no rust and go from there.

Just my opinion,

Cheers
Macca

FPT

Post by FPT » Fri 25 Jul 2008, 09:03

Hi FAIRMONTXY

I have to agree with Macca but if you are prepared to do most of the work yourself and the car can be bought very cheap or is up for free, one might get away with less cost involved. Your biggest problem will be lenses and beadings which are not readily available and will have to be imported if nothing can be sourced secondhand. Any way this is a huge project, believe me I've been through it a couple of times. Good luck it is always good to see someone rescuing a car from a certain death.

Greetings
Andre'
There is no Replacement for Displacement
Greetings
André

There is no Replacement for Displacement!!!

RASSIE

Post by RASSIE » Fri 25 Jul 2008, 09:18

Hi Andre, nothing wrong with that car. You can turn it in a super looking "GT". At least OZ won't buy it so it will stay in S.A. for the kids to see a "GT" at car shows.
I will put some pictures to inspire you on the project. Cheers Rassie.

68barracuda

Post by 68barracuda » Fri 25 Jul 2008, 09:39

Cool car

Some one I know who must not be named has sold a running minimal rust 6 cyl fairmont, with all the bits to make it a gt clone for R4000 a couple of months ago.

Shaker hood, engine, gearbox rearend suspensions, rims, optional aircon, center console with gt badge

I nearly killed him myself.
Regards,
Fanie Gerber
It's never junk, it's just a part you're not currently using

http://www.valiant50.co.za
Just say I own a few Mopars

RASSIE

Post by RASSIE » Fri 25 Jul 2008, 11:39

Hi Andre I change a real 6 silinder to a V8 "GT". You can do the same. Cheers Rassie.

FAIRMONTXY

Post by FAIRMONTXY » Wed 30 Jul 2008, 07:57

Thanks alot guys for the feedback.!!! WOW did not know there is so many enthusiasts!!!! Where do I look for rust on the Chassis ETC before I continue with the Resto??

Just want to make 100 % sure Im not gonna waste my time. Also guys when I start im gonna need parts....Mostly doors etc.....someone please???

FPT

Post by FPT » Wed 30 Jul 2008, 09:37

Hi FAIRMONTXY

Enthusiasts on these cars are more than you would imagn! Parts are getting few and far between at this stage but keep on asking arround and visit a few townships (if you are to affraid let somebody living there ask arround). The 6 sylinder body tend to pop up from under trees and can be used as donors. Also visit the Fairmont Gt site where you will find alot of info spesifically on these bodies. Good luck!

Greetings
andre'
There is no Replacement for Displacement!
Greetings
André

There is no Replacement for Displacement!!!

Social Media