When posting topics on the forum please make sure:
  • ● The posts are not political
  • ● The posts are not about religion
  • ● Please keep posts civil and don't be nasty to other members
ZA Perana

Re: 928 stuff

Post by ZA Perana » Fri 03 Jan 2014, 09:15

ters wrote:
ZA Perana wrote:I'd be careful of a 928, especially a poorly maintained one. Head gaskets are known to fail and overheating problems are not unheard of, the car needs the right anti freeze mix due to the aluminium block. The auto box is from a Mercedes and is apparently quite reliable.

Electronics are perhaps the biggest issue, when I looked at buying one half heartedly I was put off when research indicated that this car has one of the most complicated electrical systems fitted to any car.

They are still a good buy but one needs to buy a well maintained one and those usually aren't cheap.
Thank you for your concern J. We take a gamble everytime we purchase an older car, even more so with performance vehicles. I like doing thorough research on vehicles I want to buy. General consensus normally is higher mileage vehicles have outgrown their little niggles, although up to a point when component failure occurs because of wear.

Headgasket failure can be attributed to general maintenance on cooling system not performed, driver allertness. Cambelt failure would be prevented once again by preventative maintenance. True what you say about the electronics....I will have to put my faith in German engineering. Mainly Bosch component used for the fuel system, again good availability. The 928's have a huge following in US and UK markets, making spare part availability easier.

I am looking at one, good overall condition with partial service history from the agents. Stock exterior/interior (tastefully recovered) and wheels. This is the auto MB box. Read on UK/US sites of vehicles in excess of 500 000km's on original engine internals and gearboxes.

I think I am going to bite the bullet on this one.......

Ters.
Cool, as Gordini would say..."We love pictures here" :D

I will say this the 928 S4 is rather quick.... :D
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

ters

Post by ters » Fri 03 Jan 2014, 09:32

Waterhond wrote:Hi Ters,

Please convey best wishes to your son !

Just spoke to my cousin who had a 928 S4. I asked what should one say to someone interested in buying. He's words..."Dit was die meeste pret wat ek nog met enige kar gehad het". He had Mercedes', a Honda S2000, several others, bikes and more...

Pieter
Thank you Pieter, I will tell the young man!! :mrgreen: Reassuring to know about the 928 thank you!.

Ters.
When it comes to the wife its easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission!
AMC Forum now accessible on Tapatalk! http://www.tsclassicclinic.co.za/

ters

Post by ters » Fri 03 Jan 2014, 09:39

ZA Perana wrote:.

Cool, as Gordini would say..."We love pictures here" :D

I will say this the 928 S4 is rather quick.... :D
You guys (and 1 active lady!) will be the first to know!! The one I am looking at is the
S with 4.5 V8.

Ters.

Sorry, I edited to "S" only.....
When it comes to the wife its easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission!

Craig

Post by Craig » Fri 03 Jan 2014, 19:31

:lol: Rassie my dogs smaak cats like cats smaak mice, so gotta rely on ratex and traps.
Yip Ters they are serious super cars and sadly most have them mixed up with teh pap 924s the guy who got me to get one sold his and I see he could not last 2 years to get another one. You get a few models 4.5L carb early ones quite collectable now if you can find a mint one with telephone dial wheels, then the 928S slot rims 4.7L motor with early fuel injection and 3 speed auto up to 1983 ish, then the gem the 928S2 labled 928s also 4.7L 16v non inter fering valves, looks same but has more modern fuel injection 310HP and ABS, 4 speed auto 5 speed manual 84-86 then you 928S4 more modern bumpers 5.0L 32valve only little more HP and if you loose the s2 rear silencer you gain the same power. It can make a speeding past you 911 number plate expand if you gas it and in 1984 was still faster top end than the RS4 V8 Audi with many more horses. They were designed to run 200km/h all day long without getting the oil into a froath and you can't really go faster than 250km on our roads and it wa steh first car Car mag tested that could break 250km on there tests in 86, so it's all you'll rearly would ever need. LOL plus it can apparently embarress a Galardo up to 200km/h then you can slap on a bolt on super charger kit for R45k and get a 100HP extra ponies with out even having to take it to a tuner or dyno it, but get more with fine tuning. They cost 3x the average house in the UK, US and probably 7 houses in SA in there day so spare can be dear but they mainly just have some electrical gremlines. Wiring is 80 pounds and they have a fuse for each bulb almost on the car. Mines been ill with a electrical bug no fuel pump, but I'm just glad I got it. The auto is sought after but have to drive 140km/h to trick it into 4th the idel back to 125km/h then it light on gas for a 310 HP motor. Mine idles up town hill 140km/h 2400rpm and flats 2100Rpm. They were also designed as a GT grand tourer not a sporst car which makes the ride soft and super comfy. Plus I been told they like tanks you really can't get a stronger GT car to crash in if you had to. Yip the motors up front just fits in gearbox and diff rear for 50/50 and ha sa funny name rear suspension that allows teh rear wheels to steer slightly in hard cornering. It was way ahead of it time and if you go through one you should be amazed what all it had back then. Hope that helps. Only down side owning a 928 is people in general get very sour and you get some snotty remarks. But that super car terotory I guess. LOL yip it's probably the cheapest super car you can buy and it also the only to ever be car of the year too. You soon understand all it pros once you just drive one. Good luck and hope you find a nice one. PS mine I bought in CT at airport drove to Durban 1800km, next day went for road worthy tester was to scared to dirty my seats, so I had to drive it onto brake tester etc and then said it's a porsche half way through checking lights and passed flying colours no oil leaks even to this day and had it parked on a carpet in my garage. But was lucky it was in mint condidtion. They just at a way different level of engineering.
1984 928S
1970 Fairlane
1972 Ranchero

gordini

Post by gordini » Fri 03 Jan 2014, 19:36

Craig wrote::lol: Rassie my dogs smaak cats like cats smaak mice, so gotta rely on ratex and traps.
Yip Ters they are serious super cars and sadly most have them mixed up with teh pap 924s the guy who got me to get one sold his and I see he could not last 2 years to get another one. You get a few models 4.5L carb early ones quite collectable now if you can find a mint one with telephone dial wheels, then the 928S slot rims 4.7L motor with early fuel injection and 3 speed auto up to 1983 ish, then the gem the 928S2 labled 928s also 4.7L 16v non inter fering valves, looks same but has more modern fuel injection 310HP and ABS, 4 speed auto 5 speed manual 84-86 then you 928S4 more modern bumpers 5.0L 32valve only little more HP and if you loose the s2 rear silencer you gain the same power. It can make a speeding past you 911 number plate expand if you gas it and in 1984 was still faster top end than the RS4 V8 Audi with many more horses. They were designed to run 200km/h all day long without getting the oil into a froath and you can't really go faster than 250km on our roads and it wa steh first car Car mag tested that could break 250km on there tests in 86, so it's all you'll rearly would ever need. LOL plus it can apparently embarress a Galardo up to 200km/h then you can slap on a bolt on super charger kit for R45k and get a 100HP extra ponies with out even having to take it to a tuner or dyno it, but get more with fine tuning. They cost 3x the average house in the UK, US and probably 7 houses in SA in there day so spare can be dear but they mainly just have some electrical gremlines. Wiring is 80 pounds and they have a fuse for each bulb almost on the car. Mines been ill with a electrical bug no fuel pump, but I'm just glad I got it. The auto is sought after but have to drive 140km/h to trick it into 4th the idel back to 125km/h then it light on gas for a 310 HP motor. Mine idles up town hill 140km/h 2400rpm and flats 2100Rpm. They were also designed as a GT grand tourer not a sporst car which makes the ride soft and super comfy. Plus I been told they like tanks you really can't get a stronger GT car to crash in if you had to. Yip the motors up front just fits in gearbox and diff rear for 50/50 and ha sa funny name rear suspension that allows teh rear wheels to steer slightly in hard cornering. It was way ahead of it time and if you go through one you should be amazed what all it had back then. Hope that helps. Only down side owning a 928 is people in general get very sour and you get some snotty remarks. But that super car terotory I guess. LOL yip it's probably the cheapest super car you can buy and it also the only to ever be car of the year too. You soon understand all it pros once you just drive one. Good luck and hope you find a nice one. PS mine I bought in CT at airport drove to Durban 1800km, next day went for road worthy tester was to scared to dirty my seats, so I had to drive it onto brake tester etc and then said it's a porsche half way through checking lights and passed flying colours no oil leaks even to this day and had it parked on a carpet in my garage. But was lucky it was in mint condidtion. They just at a way different level of engineering.
Yoyo Craig....punctuation is free :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: im old and battle to read ;) ;) ;)
In my old age...
i drink a tripple,i see double and i act single..

From Malmesbury

ters

Post by ters » Fri 03 Jan 2014, 19:42

Thank you for the very thorough reply Craig!! You certainly covered all my concerns. I can't wait to get my hands on one!

Ters.

ps. My Bantam is provisionally sold! :mrgreen:

Waterhond

Post by Waterhond » Fri 03 Jan 2014, 20:09

Ters, you might want to speak to these guys. They seem somewhat secretive about where they are, but I am almost sure they are in Pretoria.

http://www.aircooledwonders.com/

http://www.exclusiveconversion.co.za/

Craig

Post by Craig » Mon 06 Jan 2014, 15:17

:lol: Sorry Gordini, but was in a rush to get ready for a biking trip to up Sani pass. Hehe phew luckily spelling and grammar has gone out of fashion.

Yip Ters good luck just take your time you bound to snap up a deal soon. Try get a RHD just easier at tolls but then LHD gains you reduced theft risk.
Here my Sharkie in White and some black. Also a pic of S4 with fatter tackies.
Attachments
928 rear fat.jpg
928 rear fat.jpg (67.74 KiB) Viewed 2497 times
928 sharkie.JPG
928 sharkie.JPG (96.84 KiB) Viewed 2497 times
1984 928S
1970 Fairlane
1972 Ranchero

ters

Post by ters » Mon 06 Jan 2014, 17:02

Thank you for the pics Craig! Yours looks neat! :mrgreen: I have my eyes on an '84 RHD Auto.

:evil: Frikken PDA has not returned with agreed sum of purchase yet! :evil: I have re posted my ad on Gum.... :roll:
DSC00565.jpg
DSC00565.jpg (155.12 KiB) Viewed 2486 times
DSC00564.jpg
DSC00564.jpg (102.71 KiB) Viewed 2486 times
Ters.

ters

Post by ters » Mon 06 Jan 2014, 17:07

Waterhond wrote:Ters, you might want to speak to these guys. They seem somewhat secretive about where they are, but I am almost sure they are in Pretoria.

http://www.aircooledwonders.com/

http://www.exclusiveconversion.co.za/
Thank you for the links Pieter! I think you have to bring your own anesthetist to remove a kidney.... Nonetheless
very nice work they do!

Ters.

Social Media