Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside BILLYBOB

Pictures of your muscle car!
Grizz

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside BILL

Post by Grizz » Sat 07 Dec 2013, 00:09

Bought this in April when I was doing my ride with my brother.

Grizz

Post by Grizz » Sat 07 Dec 2013, 00:10

In the ongoing introduction to the truck and all its woe's

Because I post on a variety of forums, from trains, planes and automobiles to teardrop trailers, so stuff may not be of interest to all, but I cannot write entries for every forum, so here goes.

Tonight I am posting the main dings and dents to the trim.

Right, some idiot, at some point had obviously locked themselves out of the truck, and then proceeded to try enter through the quarter light with the help of a crowbar. With the repaint 9 years ago the mirror was relocated and the holes filled with chewing gum, maybe.... The quarterlight rubber seals as rotten too, fortunately the front and rear screen seals are good.

Next up, passenger door flipped open by wind and put a crease all the way down, taking the shiny trim with it.

Not particularly repairable in my book.

Front spear passenger side.

Passenger side door and cab trim.

Fleetside rear passenger side. Inbetween the trim there used to a sticker and some idiot removed it with a screwdriver or knife, damaging the paint.
You can see how the paint has been damaged.

Driver side, some of the trim had been bent over and pushed back.

Front grille had been struck at some point over the second "E" and repaired with a ballpein hammer.
The grille is very scratched from some "attention" it had been given in the past.

There is rust on the trailing edges of the fenders that needs repairing and a variety of other bits to be fixed when the paint gets done.

More later.

Grizz

Post by Grizz » Sat 07 Dec 2013, 00:13

And a few more from the farm

Just goes to show, this is one photogenic truck.

Despite the flaws, it is going to be good when I am done with it.

Looking forward to it evolving with Nicola and I.

Grizz

Post by Grizz » Sat 07 Dec 2013, 00:15

Spent the day reading clinical papers, summarizing them and did some other studying and online training.

Postman had dropped of a 8000 pound capacity towball today, it has a 32mm stem, so now I need to have the hole in the bumper enlarged to fit it.
Thanks to mate Tim for sending it.

I have also bought a pre-wired plug to fit on Saturday with Scott "Jabbo" doing all the actual work.

By 19.30 I had had dinner (thanks Nicola) and then sneaked out to the garage for some "Wax on, Wax off" action to help me unwind a bit.

Took the truck out and before I parked it, Mickey was there..... he loves the truck.

On the front bumper I used Wenol metal polish on the right, then mate Jon took a pic showing the left a bit dull.
This convinced me to take of the number plate to clean up properly at least once.

Left side not yet polished, it all came up really well, also did the front grille and rear bumper. Satisfied with the results of my efforts.

After this I took my time and polished up the Chrome smoothies..... thought they were clean, polish proved me wrong.

Next up I used Autoglym tyre/tire polish for the tyres.

Before tyre polish but after rims were done.

Couple of pics to show size perspective of the truck, in relation to my daily Audi A3 for those who are interested.

Next to Nicola's Peugeot 1007

Truck now ready for 4th of July tomorrow :beer:

Grizz

Post by Grizz » Sat 07 Dec 2013, 00:17

After work yesterday I raced about and took the truck, with Mickey my neighbour down to a local industrial estate to see if we could get the hole for the towball enlarged.

I had spoken to an engineering shop already who said bring it in after work, but he insisted we go try an old friend he had not seen a few years.

Got to where Raj had his shop before ..... Nothing. Turns out he moved a few years ago to much bigger premises less than a kilometer away.

Got there and the big guy was not there but "the boys" were impressed by the truck and prepared to give it a go (This is now after hours and Raj allows them to earn "a drink" (English term for a few pounds for a small odd job off the books, a bit like a tip)

Out came the Mag drill and some clamps along with a bit of 10mm steel plate. The drill has a strong electro magnet that allows it to effectively clamp onto the job and work as a pillar drill. With Mickey applying the cutting compound we soon had a 40mm hole for the 32mm bolt to fit through, yes I know, but a couple of heavy duty washers will sort that out. Everything still fits correctly.

Many hands make light work.

At this point Raj came back from a job site into the shop and if Mickey was a puppy he would have peed all over Raj's feet. They obviously have good friendship that has stood the test of time.

I gave the main operator £20 for a "drink" which he was very happy with. I believe in fairness and this will allow me to go back another day with some niggly job.

Job done.

Grizz

Post by Grizz » Sat 07 Dec 2013, 00:22

Video of hole being drilled.

Another job done.

gordini

Post by gordini » Sun 08 Dec 2013, 09:44

Quite a neat job there Rian... ;) ;) If i look at the pix that lorrie seems to be in good rebuildable nick 8) 8) . Did you sell the Thames :?: :?:
In my old age...
i drink a tripple,i see double and i act single..

From Malmesbury

Grizz

Post by Grizz » Sun 08 Dec 2013, 10:26

gordini wrote:Quite a neat job there Rian... ;) ;) If i look at the pix that lorrie seems to be in good rebuildable nick 8) 8) . Did you sell the Thames :?: :?:
Hi buddy, not a Thames, but a 1963 Ford Transit.

Yes, sold it and the 1956 Ford 100E Anglia to raise nearly enough to buy the Chevy, so added a bit from secret savings to the proceeds to buy the truck.

I do agree that they truck is a relatively easy repair and rebuild. Which is why I went ahead and bought it.

I knew at that point what they cost in the USA and despite having friends there who would help me get it here, the price would ultimately not have been very different, and I got to inspect this one myself.

Grizz

Post by Grizz » Sun 08 Dec 2013, 10:31

PS: Thanks to those of you who have taken the time to comment on the thread.

I am always amazed when I see over 200 views and three or four replies, not including the updates I post up.Maybe there is a message in that ??

Well I had Scott "Jabbo" over here today, he got called out to work last night, so had a quick few hours sleep this morning and then came over by 13.00

Scott had wired up the Grizz-Pod Teardrop Trailer a few years ago for me, I had a regular light board which he then wired up to the Taxi cab lights I fitted to the rear.

When it cam to wiring the truck for Euro lighting, I contacted Scott to ask if he was up for a bit of abuse..... to which he thankfully agreed.

I had cut and broken some of the driveway this morning and mixed a batch of concrete to redo the bits I had removed, just wrapping up when he got here.

Soon we had the truck out, and this was the view.

I decided to mount the plug under the load body, behind the bumper for looks and also to keep it safely tucked out of harms way, so this as the result.

My mate Peter "Goose" with whom I traveled in Europe on our bikes last year and his wife came down for an evening BBQ and sleep over as they wanted to join us for bootfair in the morning.

We found via Vernier caliper that the US Spec 2" chromed towball is about 1/2mm bigger than the UK Spec 50mm towball.

So he suggested stripping back the chrome to get it to fit securely into the trailer hitch.

Some time spent in the woodwork shed, gently sanding the ball on my linisher left us with a perfect fitting union.

Of course we needed to get some photos.

Scott and his family had recently moved to a new house and behind the shed he found this......

Seems I have a spare wheel rim now. Just need to get a tyre onto it. Thanks Buddy.

Next up I will clean and refurbish the rim.

That's all for now folks.

Grizz

Post by Grizz » Sun 08 Dec 2013, 10:33

Right, went to bootfair this morning with some friends who slept over last night.
Got lots of bits n bobs.

Then right at the end, last stall, there was a steel trunk.

Asked the price..... Got it for £10.00

Been looking for a trunk to bolt into the rear of the truck to act as seat at shows, safe box for tools, jack etc and another bit of "personal decoration" to add.

Brought it home and now have to decide what route to go.

Outside is completely rusted on the surface.
Inside has been painted at some point.
It also has "The Times of India" from 4th of July 1945 stuck in the bottom, fairly messed up, but we want to protect or keep it in there.

Advice needed please How do I keep the interior with the paper stuck to it in one piece and what way is the best for the outside?

My thoughts are clear varnish inside and clear lacquer on the outside with some pinstriping later when I can afford to have it done.

Latches are all brass.

Social Media