What is the data dot story?

Post any technical questions, FAQs or tutorials in this section
RASSIE

What is the data dot story?

Post by RASSIE » Sun 03 Nov 2013, 17:58

I am not 100% sure what this is as I have heard the data dot name a few times. Any more info from the members?
Rassie.
http://www.rassiesauto.co.za/
“Cowboys do not ride donkeys”
“I will die driving a V8”

Donovan Smith

Re: What is the data dot story?

Post by Donovan Smith » Sun 03 Nov 2013, 18:43

Data dot is a system that they have developed to identify stolen property. The spray the item be it a car or DVD player with these dots. the are about 1mm big. these dots go in everywhere. It is virtually impossible to get rid of them once the car has been sprayed. If the car is stolen and found back they vacuum the car and find the dots. They have a microscope to look at the dots find the info and they will know who it belongs to.
This is what micro dot say about the product.

What are DataDots?
DataDots are tiny microscopic discs (microdots), that contain unique information that's linked to your property and you. As small as a grain of sand, DataDots are recognised as being one of the most effective ways of preventing theft, and play a crucial role in the recovery and return of stolen goods. The unique etched code on the DataDot is stored on our worldwide verification database, DataBaseDNA.

DataDots can be brushed or sprayed onto assets, and stay there for the life of the asset. DataDot Technology Ltd has patented its own innovative spray process, which can now spray a complete car in less than 60 seconds. A car can be fitted with thousands of DataDots, most often applied at the place of assembly, importation facility, or in the aftermarket through dealers. DataDots can be detected with a UV light due to DataTraceDNA which is included in the adhesive as an invisible or ‘covert' marker, providing absolute proof of product, and supplying an additional layer of security. The unique code on the DataDot can be read with a simple magnifying device - no complicated forensic investigation necessary.

DataDots are most widely used to protect motor vehicles, motor cycles, trailers, marine craft, business and personal assets.

RASSIE

Post by RASSIE » Sun 03 Nov 2013, 18:51

Thanks Donovan. This is what we need in S.A.
Why is this not advertised in S.A.?
Rassie.
http://www.rassiesauto.co.za/
“Cowboys do not ride donkeys”
“I will die driving a V8”

Johann65

Post by Johann65 » Sun 03 Nov 2013, 19:14

RASSIE wrote:Thanks Donovan. This is what we need in S.A.
Why is this not advertised in S.A.?
Rassie.
It is available but costs a lot!!
Member No: 209
Ah! Yes I remember it well! (Only GM's!)
1966 Opel Rekord L CLASSIC SEDAN Current Project

Donovan Smith

Post by Donovan Smith » Sun 03 Nov 2013, 19:39

I understand that some insurance companies insist that you have it done on new cars. These guys had a stand at the Rand Show. I still have there brochure somewhere. Nor a bad system

Moering Tool

Post by Moering Tool » Sun 03 Nov 2013, 19:43

They put in lots of effort to market it by integrating it into the story line of one of the local soapies. Egoli I think but not sure - I dont watch tv!

Johann65

Post by Johann65 » Sun 03 Nov 2013, 19:56

Over 1.6 million vehicles are fitted with DataDot in South Africa.

Reduces your chance of Hijacking or theft by 50%! Criminals avoid DataDot.

If your car does not have DataDot it is an easy target for thieves.

All South African motor manufacturers are now microdotting their vehicles in anticipation of government legislation expected to be enacted early 2012. Why is the government legislating for the microdotting of all new and imported vehicles? The simple answer is that it is currently too easy for criminals to change the identity of a vehicle and either put that stolen vehicle back on the road, export it or chop it up for parts.
Theft Deterrent
Micro dotting a vehicle makes it virtually impossible to change that vehicles original identity. This acts as a powerful deterrent to criminal syndicates to leave microdotted vehicles alone as these are now seen as being "too hot to handle".
Theft Recovery
Between 12 000 and 14 000 recovered vehicles to the value of R1 billion are crushed every year because the owners cannot be traced. Microdotted vehicles, however, have a high recovery rate. A study conducted by Business Against Crime South Africa found that the recovery rate of cars with microdot technology is 91 percent.

How does DataDot® work?
•Thousands of DataDots are sprayed onto various locations on your car.
•The unique code on each DataDot is then stored on a secure national database, which can be accessed by police if your car is stolen.
•The DataDots are almost invisible to the naked eye, but can be detected by a UV light and magnifying device.
•It's virtually impossible to locate and remove all the DataDots, making it extremely difficult for thieves to sell your car or car parts without fear of being caught.
•Warning stickers act as a further deterrent to thieves.

Benefits of DataDot®
•45 Minute fitment at DataDot fitment facilities located countrywide.
•Once-off cost, no monthly charges.
•Peace of mind - If your car is stolen, its ownership is easily traceable via the secure DataDot® national database.
•Proof of ownership - The unique laser etched code on each DataDot links your car back to you, making it virtually impossible for thieves to sell it safely.
•Insurance savings - Enjoy a range of potential insurance discounts and incentives.
•Awareness - Business Against Crime and the police have acknowledged the effectiveness of DataDot technology in car theft prevention.

Your DataDot® Vehicle Protection Pack includes:
•Coded PIN DataDots registered to your vehicle.
•Fitment of 10 000 DataDots.
•Please note: Fitment to vehicles is controlled by SANS and must be fitted by an accredited fitter at one of our accredited fitment centres.
•Warning Identification stickers.
•Fitment certificate

R530.00 (incl. VAT)

Prices may vary per Fitment Centre if booking is not made through the website
Member No: 209
Ah! Yes I remember it well! (Only GM's!)
1966 Opel Rekord L CLASSIC SEDAN Current Project

First V8

Post by First V8 » Sun 03 Nov 2013, 21:32

R530.00 (incl. VAT) QUOTE

That is inexpensive .
2010 Chev Lumina SS
1968 Chevy Impala (SOLD)
1968 Vw Beetle ( SOLD)
1963 Mini Pick Up ( Exported to UK )

73Ranchero

Post by 73Ranchero » Sun 03 Nov 2013, 22:04

This has now become compulsary on all new vehicles and new trailers we sell. It is also enforced on vehicles older than 10 years and ANY vehicle that has a "rebuilt" status or ANY vehicle that needs a "police clearance" (As with vehicles with an engine change). Although it is a good thing, someone is making good money from law abiding citizens again. What will they think of next?

Problem at the moment is that the cops don't know yet how to look for it at roadblocks and don't have scanners to identify data dotted vehicles yet. By the time they do, the criminals will have figured a way around it again. It will soon be compulsary for all vehicles to have it on every vehicle you sell, just like a RWC is compulsary before the new owner can licence a vehicle on his name.
There's no substitute for cubic inches
Deon

Weasel

Post by Weasel » Sun 03 Nov 2013, 22:53

Got it on my truck, they have sprayed it absolutely everywhere, its actually a bit annoying because you can clearly see it.

Social Media