Cheers, Daz
72 Capri Perana
www.perthcapri.com

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21

TdL351GT

Re: Another Yellow Capri Perana

Post by TdL351GT » Sat 05 Jan 2008, 21:42

Hi Guys,

I told you guys about the other 3 yellow Peranas we have here in Krugersdorp. Well Johan finally put his car together and today we took the four of them to the Burgerbox roadhouse in Roodepoort.

Caused quite a comotion the four cars when we all met at Mikes place and then cruised slowly to the roadhouse for maximum exposure.

Not everyday that you see four of them together, belonging to four friends in the same town! It wasn't long before a fifth perana joined us. One we did not know about.

regards

Theuns.
Attachments
IMG_0664.jpg
IMG_0666.jpg
There is no replacement for cubic inches....

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Sat 05 Jan 2008, 22:02

Good to see that you are back behind the wheel! You must be a fair bit better to be able to wind that Perana steering wheel. :)

Those are absolutely brilliant pictures. So nice to see 4 immaculate Peranas all together. Almost brought tears to my eyes.

Well done to all four of you.

(I've put a link back to this from the Perana forum http://www.perana.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=182#182 the guys there will love it)
Last edited by zahistorics on Sat 05 Jan 2008, 22:08, edited 1 time in total.

FairmontGT
Site Admin

Post by FairmontGT » Sat 05 Jan 2008, 22:03

Theuns dis die coolste foto wat ek in 'n lang tyd gesien het.
Yes we did build muscle cars in RSA!!!!
http://www.africanmusclecars.com

TdL351GT

Post by TdL351GT » Sat 05 Jan 2008, 22:13

Thanks Tiaan.

John my left arm is still in plaster of paris and out of action...but they kept on nagging until I gave in. My wife, Estie, had to change gears and also had to help with the steering wheel, especially when we turn left, its a mission to turn these bloody Peranas...but it was worth it, and we're safely home!

regards

Theuns

72XYGT

Post by 72XYGT » Sun 06 Jan 2008, 11:24

Hi Theuns,
Good to hear you are mobile again and on the recovery.
Congrats on a very nice Perana. Dont know how I missed this post. You certainly have a "special gift" in getting rare finds. How about sharing your secret, maybe I can capitalise on it. ;)
That Perana looks soooo cool and you dont even have to do any resto work. A very nice find indeed. The 4 yellow Preanas must cause quite an upstir in your town and should soon reach some motor magazines pages. (Like the Cortina Perana V6)
You now really getting a very rare collection of Fords together. Something I always wanted to do but havent succeeded yet!
Enjoy the Perana!

Daan

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Sun 06 Jan 2008, 14:37

Awesome pictures....never seen anything like that before, can only imagine the ammount of attention the 4 cars got, all you needed now was a Peri- Peri red one.....

When the time comes to do pictures for the book I am writting on the Perana and Cam Am story I know where to look for good cars....
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

TdL351GT

Post by TdL351GT » Sun 06 Jan 2008, 15:07

Thanks Daan,
I haven’t had much time to enjoy the Capri when disaster strike and I had the accident, but I am getting better and can’t wait to be driving again. The Cortina Perana is also going to be finished this week hopefully and will be begging to be driven. At the moment the AMG will have to do. I have to say this in favour of the C55, the shaped sporty seat helps to keep my body still and in position when driving, which I only started to do a week ago.
John…two question on the Capri Perana.
You will see on the pic we have two black boots and two yellow boots. The yellow boot car furthest away is an unrestored, unmolested, one owner car, with only 80 000km on the clock. D/A on the plate is December 1972, registered in ’73. The newest of the lot, and our sample car for whenever we need to check anything. The only car with amber flicker lenses in the front.
The fifth car that joined us, also yellow, also had a black boot (no Louvre). I noticed that Jacques car also has a black boot, Magda’s red car body colour… The road test we have also does not have a black boot, so was that an option or was it done afterwards.
Battery position also seems to be an issue. We know they were moved to help with airflow in the engine bay as some experienced overheating problems. Weight distribution is also one of the reasons I’ve heard but I’m not so sure that would have been the main reason. Again the pic of the road test clearly shows the battery in the engine bay. Our unrestored car has the battery in the engine bay. So once again we have 2 batteries in the boot, 2 in front.
What’s the story?
Some of our other members with answers please? Do we have a right and wrong here…or are they all right?
Henry…you seem to have everything on Fords, plus a good memory. Can you assist us on these issues?

Regards

Theuns
Attachments
IMG_0671.jpg

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Sun 06 Jan 2008, 15:51

Well from what I understand the black boot was an option, there is a picture somewhere of the cars in the BG workshop and while I cant remember correctly I recall seeing some with black boots, thesedays strangely I see more black boots than anything else.

As for the battery....try changing the plugs with the battery in the front...its a huge debacle as you can only access the plug from underneath.

What puts me off the batter in the boot idea is the close proximity to the fuel tank.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Sun 06 Jan 2008, 16:36

Guys,

Battery
The battery in the boot is not a Basil Green modification.

Correct production location is front left.

The original battery was a bit smaller that what most people seem to have now. Jacques your battery looks a bit bigger than original. Lino tells me that you cannot get a battery of the original size anymore.

Reasons they are moved:
Access - probably made worse by bigger batteries
Battery size - smaller original not available
Cooling - mmm don't know why - if you have the original stuff all in place the car shouldn't overheat
Weight distribution - yes maybe

I suppose it comes down to how original you want to keep your car.

Black Boot
The first production prototype had a black boot. The two adverts I have with a photo have the same picture, with a black boot. There is one ad with a line drawing - the copy I have is an incrediby bad scan, but it looks like the boot may have been 'shaded' by the artist.

In the two pictures of the BG assembly line (Motoring Mirror May 1971) most cars have boots that are not black. One car has a black boot. The significant thing is that the car with the black boot is the only one with stripes. I think the cars were delivered from Ford without the black bits and these were added at BG. [side note: cars came from Ford already in the correct Perana colours - they were not resprayed by BG]

In my youth all the Peranas I saw had black boots. I am enough of a detail anorak to have noticed if there were differences.

My conclusion was till now, that the cars without black boots lost that at some stage in restoration, but now you tell me you have a unrestored one that looks like that.

Maybe black boot was a 'delete' option in later years - you got a black boot unless you requested not to.

Personally I prefer the black boot.

Social Media