Page 12 of 14

Re: '72 Escort - Finally!

Posted: Fri 10 Jan 2014, 22:06
by Dragonkarr
Took Skortie's gearbox to the 'shop on Wednesday... So, since the 'box was already out of the way, I schemed pulling the engine should be something worth doing... We (my brother and I) disconnected and removed everything that was in the way tonight, will be borrowing a fellow Forum member's lift to get the block out tomorrow. Will post pics of what we've found... You should see what 'held' the fan 'in place' 8O

(Some people shouldn't be let anywhere near a car. Period. In fact, they shouldn't even own tools.)

Re: '72 Escort - Finally!

Posted: Tue 14 Jan 2014, 07:44
by Dragonkarr
Okay, need some help here - See all those pipes blocked off? Especially the one at the oil filter, and the one top left? What are they, and where should they be going?

Re: '72 Escort - Finally!

Posted: Tue 14 Jan 2014, 18:53
by werner
Ek het nou op die cortina gaan kyk. Die pyp by die olie filter is glad nie op die cortina nie. Die dik pyp onder die carb is n waterpyp wat gekoppel word waar die water terugvloei na die enjin, net voor die waterpomp. Op die cortina is die pyp links bo gekoppel aan die inlet manifold met n " T " koppeling en die ander kant van die T gaan na die brakebooster.
Hoop dit help.

Re: '72 Escort - Finally!

Posted: Tue 14 Jan 2014, 20:07
by Dragonkarr
werner wrote:Ek het nou op die cortina gaan kyk. Die pyp by die olie filter is glad nie op die cortina nie. Die dik pyp onder die carb is n waterpyp wat gekoppel word waar die water terugvloei na die enjin, net voor die waterpomp. Op die cortina is die pyp links bo gekoppel aan die inlet manifold met n " T " koppeling en die ander kant van die T gaan na die brakebooster.
Hoop dit help.
Dankie, sal more bietjie gaan kyk.

The pipe at the oil filter leaks oil terribly, it leads straight into the sump...

Re: '72 Escort - Finally!

Posted: Tue 14 Jan 2014, 21:29
by Scorpionman
Where does the oil pressure switch go on these engines? Could be that the switch was removed so that a mechanical oil pressure gauge could be fitted. Gauge is now gone/removed and pipe blocked off.

Re: '72 Escort - Finally!

Posted: Tue 14 Jan 2014, 21:30
by zahistorics
k.jpg
k.jpg (188.63 KiB) Viewed 2666 times
Karien,
A = crankcase breather - to air filter, or to manifold vacuum for PCV - depends on what the Eskie had originally
B = oil pressure - scary stuff there from the previous master craftsman - oil pressure light switch goes here, or oil pressure gauge.
C = manifold heat hot water - not really required unless you are going drive around in the snow - unscrew fitting from manifold and screw in a blanking plug.

Re: '72 Escort - Finally!

Posted: Tue 14 Jan 2014, 22:02
by gordini
zahistorics wrote:
k.jpg
Karien,
A = crankcase breather - to air filter, or to manifold vacuum for PCV - depends on what the Eskie had originally
B = oil pressure - scary stuff there from the previous master craftsman - oil pressure light switch goes here, or oil pressure gauge.
C = manifold heat hot water - not really required unless you are going drive around in the snow - unscrew fitting from manifold and screw in a blanking plug.
Amen to that ;) ;)

Re: '72 Escort - Finally!

Posted: Wed 15 Jan 2014, 06:28
by Dragonkarr
zahistorics wrote:
k.jpg
Karien,
A = crankcase breather - to air filter, or to manifold vacuum for PCV - depends on what the Eskie had originally
B = oil pressure - scary stuff there from the previous master craftsman - oil pressure light switch goes here, or oil pressure gauge.
C = manifold heat hot water - not really required unless you are going drive around in the snow - unscrew fitting from manifold and screw in a blanking plug.
Thanks :D My dad suspected A to be a breather. Would it go to the tappet cover (Just above A)? No space for it on air filter.

"Master Craftsman" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Re: '72 Escort - Finally!

Posted: Wed 15 Jan 2014, 12:29
by gordini
While its out remove the flywheel and the pully up front and replace those seals. Dirt cheap and way much better to do it now than to remove the engine again :idea: :idea: :idea: Same with the gearbox seals ;) ;)

Re: '72 Escort - Finally!

Posted: Wed 15 Jan 2014, 18:20
by zahistorics
Dragonkarr wrote:Would it go to the tappet cover (Just above A)? No space for it on air filter.
Karien,

No. If no fittings on filter it should be PCV. So pipe from rocker cover to tee with breather other branch of tee to another tee to manifold and brake booster. Make sure you have a non-vented oil cap.