V8 ford capri project

Any questions or suggestions regarding restorations
IbanezRG

V8 ford capri project

Post by IbanezRG » Mon 03 Oct 2011, 20:52

ok so this is my second project car. my first car was a opel kadett GSI. don't think u guys wil be interested in this but here's the link anyways http://www.opelownersforum.co.za/forum/ ... t=ibanezrg. problem with that project was money and i had to rush it after i had an accident with my other car.

so now after selling that car and buying a Polo TDI.... i was in need of something with a little more power. searched a few weeks and decided to buy a Ford Capri and fit a V8 in it. Like with the opel i need some help from the guys who know how its done. so i bought this 1971 capri, originaly this was the 2000GT, the guy i bought it from fitted a 3L V6.

now what i need to know is:

-what engine will work best? ford 351 or 302 ?
-what gearbox?
-what diff?
-what radiator?

now i know that i'll have to mod the steering rack, can i mod the original one or is there a replacement ?

the rubbers that hold the front and back windscreen in place seem brittle, where can i get new ones ?

now i've stripped the car and started to cut out the rust and welding some metal in from a beetle roof that i still had lying around.

zahistorics

Re: V8 ford capri project

Post by zahistorics » Mon 03 Oct 2011, 23:34

Hi, welcome

Some answers:
IbanezRG wrote:-what engine will work best? ford 351 or 302 ?
302 Windsor, because it is the smallest and lightest, and has been done plenty times before
-what gearbox?
* 4 speed Ford top loader - practically indestructable, uses standard parts - only 4 gears
* Toyota Cressida - very strong, 5 nice ratios - needs non standard parts
* Tremec T5 - cheap, plentiful, uses standard parts - does not take abuse, bit is fine with a fairly stock motor
-what diff?
* Clone a Perana diff. Borg Warner center (used on many South African cars and bakkies) Capri 3 litre tubes and hubs - needs custom sideshafts
* Narrowed Borg Warner (from those many ZA cars)
* Stock 3 litre axle - will live behing a mild V8 if not abused
Don't be tempted to use a 9 inch, unless you are building a big power car. Although indestructable they are big and soak up quite a bit of power.
-what radiator?
Look at a Perana - anything of similar size. Electric fans make life much easier
now i know that i'll have to mod the steering rack, can i mod the original one or is there a replacement ?
If you use a Mustang camel sump (two humps) you don't have to touch a thing it all just fits.
the rubbers that hold the front and back windscreen in place seem brittle, where can i get new ones ?
Available from the UK - search for user 'Jumblemaster' on ebay.co.uk. Excellent product and excellent service. Don't waste your time with any other either from the UK or in ZA. Back rubbers are expensive! About £50 now. Unless your back windscreen rubber is totally rubbish, just replace the chrome filler strip, and hide it under a louvre. DON'T lose the little aluminium corner pieces for the trim - virtually unobtainable, and so expensive.

IbanezRG

Post by IbanezRG » Tue 04 Oct 2011, 08:02

thanks a lot for the answers :D

as for those alu trimming corners .....i've got one :?

paulusvrotius1

Post by paulusvrotius1 » Tue 04 Oct 2011, 16:02

Hi Ibanez,

All Johns' advice is spot on, he has a Perana rep of his own.

The 302 will have all the power you will need in a Capri body and they're relatively cheap to build.

If you need any advice as you go along just ask.

Good luck with the build.

Cheers

Paul
Cheers

My AMC:
1971 Capri Perana Yellow/Blk.

Old Fords never die because some clotheads keep bodging them back together!!

IbanezRG

Post by IbanezRG » Wed 05 Oct 2011, 08:18

Thanks paul.. At the moment time and money is slowing me down a bit. But I will certainly need the advice !

Thanks

Denis

peranaman

Post by peranaman » Wed 05 Oct 2011, 08:28

IbanezRG wrote: ......money is slowing me down a bit. ...........
Thanks

Denis
Hi Dennis - speaking of 'slowing down' I notice you haven't addressed the prospect of wanting to stop the car yet?

Front brakes?

When you do - give me a shout!

ta Chris
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do

paulusvrotius1

Post by paulusvrotius1 » Wed 05 Oct 2011, 12:14

Good point Chris, you can only go as fast as you can stop!! :mrgreen:
Cheers

My AMC:
1971 Capri Perana Yellow/Blk.

Old Fords never die because some clotheads keep bodging them back together!!

IbanezRG

Post by IbanezRG » Wed 05 Oct 2011, 13:30

Yes I forgot to mention upgrading the brakes. Will certainly give you a shout ! Thanks chris

For now I'm just gonna do all the body work first and save some money for the other stuff

IbanezRG

Post by IbanezRG » Sun 16 Oct 2011, 21:01

still busy with bodywork.. car is stripped, did a lot of cutting, welding and grinding. will start with filler this week. i'll upload some photos of the progress soon.

needboost

Post by needboost » Sun 16 Oct 2011, 22:51

T5 gearboxes are not cheap and not plentifull... 8) Maybe in the UK not in SA...

Social Media