V8 ford capri project

Any questions or suggestions regarding restorations
paulusvrotius1

Re: V8 ford capri project

Post by paulusvrotius1 » Mon 26 Nov 2018, 09:49

I'll have a look at mine and see which type they are. I'm pretty sure mine have the metal chrome surrounds. Here in the UK all the lenses I have seen don't have the screws visible in the lens, they are fastened from behind by the metal surround. I have a small crack in one of my reflectors so wanted to replace the lens with the correct type.
Cheers

My AMC:
1971 Capri Perana Yellow/Blk.

Old Fords never die because some clotheads keep bodging them back together!!

IbanezRG

Post by IbanezRG » Mon 26 Nov 2018, 10:04

paulusvrotius1 wrote:
Mon 26 Nov 2018, 09:49
I'll have a look at mine and see which type they are. I'm pretty sure mine have the metal chrome surrounds. Here in the UK all the lenses I have seen don't have the screws visible in the lens, they are fastened from behind by the metal surround. I have a small crack in one of my reflectors so wanted to replace the lens with the correct type.
These are the other type I think the European Capris have these, I accidentally ordered these from the guy and had to return them, but these had all the lettering on them, think it even says made in England

paulusvrotius1

Post by paulusvrotius1 » Mon 26 Nov 2018, 15:10

Yes those are the ones I can get here, in fact I bought a few then realized they were different to the SA ones.
Cheers

My AMC:
1971 Capri Perana Yellow/Blk.

Old Fords never die because some clotheads keep bodging them back together!!

IbanezRG

Post by IbanezRG » Tue 26 May 2020, 15:59

So, I had some leave scheduled in April to finally get paint on the car. Unfortunately COVID-19 changed my plans. Had to cancel my leave.

I still want to paint the car once we are in level 3 or 2 of lockdown.

However, I don't own a spray booth and I'm concerned that the cold weather will be a problem.

Any advise ? I have never sprayed a car in cold weather. Will I be fine if I use fast hardener and do the work during hottest time of the day ?

or should I not risk it and rather wait for warmer weather again?

also considering taking the car to someone to just do the paint work for me. however, I don't know of anyone that I can trust and that won't rip me off. I don't want them to tell me that they need to re-prep the entire car and charge me a fortune for it.

IbanezRG

Post by IbanezRG » Mon 15 Jun 2020, 13:29

So I managed to find a shifter for my auto box as well as the pedals.

Got a quote for 25k to paint the car, so decided to stick with my plan and just do it myself.

I'm in the process of buying a house which has a double garage, plan is to paint the car, get the engine and gearbox in and then move the car to my house to avoid having to travel 80km one way to work on it.

Very exited as I can then work on it whenever I want in the comfort of my home.

I did some more research on the diff, so it seems that the 3L Cortinas had a 3.08 ration diff, these are quite easy to find with price ranges around 1.5 to 2k.

I'm sure the Cortina axle should fit no problem.

Social Media