502 C3 Vette sportsback

Any questions or suggestions regarding restorations
puttybag

502 C3 Vette sportsback

Post by puttybag » Mon 15 Nov 2010, 02:58

And now for something different (and very rare) a Corvette Sportsback (some would call it a Vette Wagon, but this is one of the first examples without side windows and the back does not open)
Its one of those cars you either love or hate it, there is nothing in-between. I found her like this (but in a terrible state) and decided to keep it that way, even though I had the choice to put her back into a stock convertible while I was building. Its the only one in Africa and there are not many examples in the world.
So after 10 long years and some help..........(a lot of help) from my Dad in the early days and Lemuel Auto towards the end, she is on the road.
A big thanks to Vic (snr and jnr) and Janet. :) She now has "the go with the show".
Lemuel Auto installed a 502 motor, 6 speed Tremec box, VBP suspension, big Wiillwood brakes all round, Hooker headers sidepipes and Autometer gauges for me, not to mention loads of fabrication to get that all working...............first class workmanship THANKS GUYS. She is really solid now. It took some time but was well worth the wait.

See you on the road. :twisted:

PaleMoonLight

Re: 502 C3 Vette sportsback

Post by PaleMoonLight » Mon 15 Nov 2010, 13:47

Congrats! Well done on finishing her! Looks good!

OldSkool II

Post by OldSkool II » Mon 15 Nov 2010, 14:08

looking good there sir
i bet she goes like stink too! thats 500 horses and mountains of torque
Driving a 10 sec Honda is like coming out the closet
At first your friends are in awe, but you still gay

Tony69

Post by Tony69 » Mon 15 Nov 2010, 20:22

Sweet :D

puttybag

Post by puttybag » Wed 17 Nov 2010, 00:46

Thanks guys, Im glad some of you appreciate it I know there will be some that wont, but I can live with that. (Different strokes for different folks)
One thing is for sure out on the road people cannot believe what they are seeing. :)
:)

drgfinger
Technical Guru

Post by drgfinger » Wed 17 Nov 2010, 06:00

Fastest sports hearse in Africa? :)
I never knew that there was actually one of these "shooting brake" vettes in Africa - always wondered who did the conversion to these - was it an aftermerket kit from the US? at least you got some packing space for groceries etc. I would like to see some more detailed pis of this car. Must go like stink with a 502 - I had a 400 hp 350 in my c3, 3000 stall and 3.55 rear gears and it was downright scary to drive...tore out the left hand engine mountings a few times...
Mine got its nose taken out when an idiot skipped a red robot - now got a stock wimpy c4...
The nicest thing about smacking your head against the wall is........the feeling you get when you stop!!

05 Jag S-type R - supercharged v8
95 C4 lt1 corvette

RIP

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Wed 17 Nov 2010, 07:13

Congrats on the completition, it certainly looks unique and different.......
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

puttybag

Post by puttybag » Mon 29 Nov 2010, 08:40

Made my first long distance trip, JHB to Durban and back.
She developed a fuel pressure problems half way down and there was much roadside "make a plan" repairs going on etc.
Other than this irritation, it has become clear to me that a 502 on the open road, is better than anything I've ever had the pleasure of driving.
The trip also provided clues as to how to best adjust and set-up the cars suspension going forward.
(The importance of good working window wipers became clear as well)
Other than than she sits solid and straight as an arrow on reasonable surface. There is is bit of deviation over rougher patches and surfaces, but nothing too scary. Its now all about fine tuning the wheel alignment.
At 135km per hour she is "putting" along at just under 2000rpm in 6 gear. I will post some fuel economy figures later for interest.
Strangely enough I drove there and back without plates on the car and Mr Plod didn't even take any notice of me, while he was pulling off many other motorists for the "once over".................

mahleu

Post by mahleu » Mon 29 Nov 2010, 15:26

Let me know when you're next in Dbn, would love to do some pics of your car.
That's how I roll. Down the hill 'cause the car won't start and the brakes don't work.

puttybag

Post by puttybag » Wed 01 Dec 2010, 08:06

Ok will do. Please send me a PM with your details.

Social Media