Daans XW getting the treatment

Any questions or suggestions regarding restorations
72XYGT

Re: Daans XW getting the treatment

Post by 72XYGT » Fri 03 Aug 2007, 06:53

Theuns

Thanks for the support. You know restoring a car can be very frustrating especially when you work and work and it looks like there is no progress. What make things worse is I am busy with 3 projects at the same time which is terribly frustrating. The XW, Capri Perana replica, and Corsair 3.4 V6. So you never can devote time just to one project and have to devide yourself in three. But I have started it now and must push through. Fortunately the Corsair project is in the beginning stages of building the motor so its not that bad. I just love that Cortina you bought, sure I saw it before at the George Old Car show. If you want to part with it I would like to be first in line to take it.

Daan

FairmontGT
Site Admin

Post by FairmontGT » Fri 03 Aug 2007, 20:29

It sounds more like bragging (being busy with 3 nice projects)! I look forward to seeing the finished XW.
Yes we did build muscle cars in RSA!!!!
http://www.africanmusclecars.com

72XYGT

Post by 72XYGT » Fri 03 Aug 2007, 23:29

Tiaan, definitely not bragging, more like complaining. The XW got its treatment and I must say the Wimbleton white looks OK. Car's done but doors, engine bay and boot needs to get final treatment tomorrow morning. Will let it stand and dry properly for a week and then start preparing it for its final treatment and a good clearcoat finish. Then the blackouts and a good buff and polish. Might leave the final polishing stage for once the car has been completely assembled. A few pics.

FairmontGT
Site Admin

Post by FairmontGT » Sat 04 Aug 2007, 09:23

Dit lyk befok Daan. The car is gonna look a lot better than new.
Yes we did build muscle cars in RSA!!!!
http://www.africanmusclecars.com

TdL351GT

Post by TdL351GT » Sat 04 Aug 2007, 17:08

Tiaan, definitely not bragging, more like complaining.

You may brag my friend..you may brag!!

Daan…I really think you should spent more time, money and effort on the Corsair, or the Capri.
Let me lighten your burden by taking the XW problem away from you…since you’re complaining. Damn..what are friends for anyway?
There is no replacement for cubic inches....

72XYGT

Post by 72XYGT » Fri 10 Aug 2007, 22:55

Had a interesting situation on painting the XW!!!! :mrgreen:

Since it is a full repaint job inside /out I never bought enough paint. So the first 5lt arrived and the Wimbleton white looked great. Unfortunately in the final blocking stages someof my guys took short cuts, and me, taking things for granted never checked the final block results.

To make a long story short we had to redo the doors resulting in more paint to be ordered. No way could the supplier match the original 5lt supplied and blending is out of the question. So the rest of the panels and body needs to be repainted one final coat. Aaargh, thats how it go sometimes but at least its something thats not a train smash. Must say those doors now look like brand new panels now, not even a wave in them. (My favourite question: Why is there always enough time to do a job twice, but never enough time to do it right the first time?) :evil:

My target is to finish the final colour coat this weekend if the weather holds. Hold thumbs guys!!

I need to post some progress pictures. Took all the door hinges to engneering firm to refurbish all pins/bushes.

Daan

Stealth GT

Post by Stealth GT » Fri 10 Aug 2007, 23:11

Daan
Excellent Job Ill have to send my wreck up to you :D do we get discount if we belong to this forum :D :D good job send more pic's

Cheers Warren

TdL351GT

Post by TdL351GT » Sat 11 Aug 2007, 19:07

Great effort Daan, This really looks like a very straight car...in which case you are doing things right. Keep it up! Look forward to see finished product.

Theuns
There is no replacement for cubic inches....

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Sat 11 Aug 2007, 19:38

Daan, I am sure this car will look awesome when it finished but as they say perfection takes time..... :D
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

72XYGT

Post by 72XYGT » Sat 11 Aug 2007, 20:15

The paint issue is after all not too much of an issue and I can get away with a good blend on the front and rear fenders. This will certainly save me some time as I am getting tired of everything going too slow.
Did the bonnet and boot today in clearcoat and it came out beautiful. As normal with clearcoat a slight run surfaced on the boot but fortunately the black out will go over it so I can sand the run out. I am quite pleased with the results and will be over the moon if the rest of the car comes out like this.
At least this is getting me more exited in getting the car finished. Next week will see the rear seats recovered and a new hoodlining made. Door hinges should be ready by Wednesday so doors could be fitted end of next week.

Social Media