Troubleshooting help

Any questions or suggestions regarding restorations
wally

Re: Troubleshooting help

Post by wally » Fri 08 Feb 2008, 12:41

not really V8 expert (yet), but apparently it is a Cleveland.

this particular Ranchero came out with the 6 cylinder motor. the V8 was added in afterwards.

btw - going to to Warren early next (Stealth GT).

thanx again for the quick help! sorry Ernu, your ones has to wait a bit.
besides, you have enough cars already! my turn to start! :mrgreen:
http://www.projectamazinggrace.org - Uniting the world's Christian community in one song on 8 November 2015 @ 15h00 GMT. Come sing with us!

paul351xb

Post by paul351xb » Fri 08 Feb 2008, 12:58

As long as that top radiator hose is going into the block and not the manifold then I guess it's a clevo. Couple of quick questions. Have you checked the inside of the dizzy cap? Also have you checked all the vacume hoses? You say you are getting fuel. Are you getting enough or too much? Have you checked the float levels and jets?

wally

Post by wally » Fri 08 Feb 2008, 13:30

previous owner apparently installed new carb kit (which might be where problem lies.)

cap is fine, rotor is fine, installed new condenser and points.
seems to be crack on vacuum advance which has been fixed, but i was assured you should be able to start without vacuum pipe.

in any case, it is going away for fixing next week and getting it in a road worthy condition so i can take it for a roadworthy certificate.
http://www.projectamazinggrace.org - Uniting the world's Christian community in one song on 8 November 2015 @ 15h00 GMT. Come sing with us!

PeteLeathersac

Post by PeteLeathersac » Fri 08 Feb 2008, 15:30

A couple of thoughts...

If coil, leads, plugs, cap etc. are all known good, as others have indicated, hot wire the coil to the battery to make sure there's ignition after you let off the key..

If the distrib is 180 out they usually backfire through the carb making a woof sound...have you confirmed distrib rotation also that you indeed know which cyl. is number one on the engine itself (furthest forward if you're looking down from above the engine).

What fuel supply is happening?. If there's lots there but any chance of bad fuel or air sucking going on, connect a remote fuel supply in a jug above the carb so it's a gravity feed going on ruling out fuel pump and bad gas as the problems..

And the crankcase isn't full of gas is it...check oil level and sniff test?.

Not sure how long since this unit has last been run but if it's power brake equipped and all else is good, sometimes it's worthwhile blocking off the vacuum supply to the booster until you isolate your problem?.

If these things are all for sure correct, you need to confirm the timing chain is installed correctly or hasn't jumped and work your way ahead from there..

Good luck getting it going!.
~ Pete
CANADA

wally

Post by wally » Fri 08 Feb 2008, 15:45

hey Pete.

distributer is on correctly, swings anti-clockwise, we checked firing order - also correct.
vehicle has been standing for about 6 months. previous owner has way to many other cars standing around.

set timing on engine, but suppose valve timing might be out.
fuel spurting in carb when you step on accelerator.

i'll leave it up to pros to get it started next week.

this is my first V8, so i have loads to learn! 8O

72XYGT

Post by 72XYGT » Fri 08 Feb 2008, 19:00

Hi Wally, after checking everything, have you had the new owner checked. May be the faullt is there. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just a joke, I would have thought by now after you tried so many different things the thing would have started. Cant you get some of the forum members closeby to give a hand. Maybe you should list eveything you have done/checked/tried so far so that we can see if we shouldnt look at another way of getting it started. Can you also try and get as much as possible history on it from the previous owner and if they changed something. Very unlikely to get the valve timing wrong on these engines as it is very straight forward. Also dont try and think of the most likely major things to be wrong it may be something very small like a vacuum leak or firing problem.

sixpak

Post by sixpak » Fri 08 Feb 2008, 21:58

Howzit Wally

Going by everything you have said that has been checked I am still convinced that your timing is out by 180 degrees. What I am trying to say is that although your firing order is in the correct sequence, it is firing in rocking mode instead of compression/firing in the typical 4-cycle engine sequence, hence the backfiring through the carb. The solution is free and easy..... no cost involved....just swap your plug wires to the direct opposite terminals on your distributor cap and your engine should start irrespective of how far out your vacuum/retard adjustment is. Then you should be able to at least drive your car instead of having it towed to Stealth to do the rest for you. ;)

Regards and good luck!!

wally

Post by wally » Sat 09 Feb 2008, 08:37

Warren (Stealth GT on this forum) is taking it under his wing next week to sort it out.

i am sure he will get it started!

wally

Post by wally » Sat 09 Feb 2008, 08:39

sixpak wrote: Howzit Wally

Going by everything you have said that has been checked I am still convinced that your timing is out by 180 degrees. What I am trying to say is that although your firing order is in the correct sequence, it is firing in rocking mode instead of compression/firing in the typical 4-cycle engine sequence, hence the backfiring through the carb. The solution is free and easy..... no cost involved....just swap your plug wires to the direct opposite terminals on your distributor cap and your engine should start irrespective of how far out your vacuum/retard adjustment is. Then you should be able to at least drive your car instead of having it towed to Stealth to do the rest for you. ;)

Regards and good luck!!

we tried that as well. i am baffled.... :?:

wally

Post by wally » Wed 13 Feb 2008, 15:54

happy to report that my baby has gone to Warren today to get everything sorted out.

can't wait! :D

cept for the bill... 8O

thanx again Warren for being able to squeeze me in.

Social Media