what is difference between C4 and C6 gearbox?

Any questions or suggestions regarding restorations
wally

what is difference between C4 and C6 gearbox?

Post by wally » Tue 11 Dec 2007, 12:50

ja i know i have been quiet, but between work and downhill racing...what's a man to do!!??

and my project has been standing still for about a month now! itching to get going on it again, but that probably won't happen for another 2 weeks... :x

so, same guy who has 315 C motor SMSed me to say he has C6 box to go with it. i know Fairlane had C4 in.

what i difference between C4 and C6?

dankie!
http://www.projectamazinggrace.org - Uniting the world's Christian community in one song on 8 November 2015 @ 15h00 GMT. Come sing with us!

Gavin RS

Re: what is difference between C4 and C6 gearbox?

Post by Gavin RS » Tue 11 Dec 2007, 14:45

wally wrote: ja i know i have been quiet, but between work and downhill racing...what's a man to do!!??

and my project has been standing still for about a month now! itching to get going on it again, but that probably won't happen for another 2 weeks... :x

so, same guy who has 315 C motor SMSed me to say he has C6 box to go with it. i know Fairlane had C4 in.

what i difference between C4 and C6?

dankie!

Hope this helps you out.

Gavin

C4 and C6 Automatic Transmission Info

C4 History and Information

The C4 transmission came out in 1964 and was produced up until 1981 The C5 was then introduced which is a modified C4.and ran through 1986 and it's major difference was an improved lockup converter along with a better lubrication .

1. Use Caution when swapping C4 and C5 trannys. C5’s are usually about one inch longer, (deeper bell housing because of the larger converter) which may make the driveshaft the wrong length.

2. The large bellhousing/pan fed C4’s are normally found in truck, vans, big bodied cars (Galaxy, Torino etc.) and cars with larger engines like the FEs or Big Block 460s. Small bellhousing C4’s are in the small cars (Mustang, Granada, Pinto, Fairmont, etc.) with smaller engines like the 289, 302 and 351w but with most Ford parts there are always some exceptions to this rule. Engine Factory provides the matching flexplate teeth size and dimension based upon your vehicle and Transmssion. It's wise to match your existing flexplate with the one we provide. Don't swap your old flexplate over being that the engine balance could be affected.

3.. If you have trouble getting the bellhousing even with the engine block during installation or can’t turn the flywheel after bolting up, the converter may not be all the way in the pump. The converter must engage the input shaft, stator support and pump gear lugs. With the converter installed properly, the converter hub will be deeper than the straight edge surface of the bell housing. With the transmission bolted tight to the block, you should be able to wiggle the converter stud easily in the flywheel.;

4. The factory C4 is capable of handling a higher output engine for a lighter weight car. We've had customers use our 350 HP / 302 with success. Substituting a higher stall speed converter or shift kit can improve it. These days aftermarket companies like TCI sell C4 Trannys that can handle loads over 450HP for a reasonable cost.

C6 Automatic Transmission
The C6 came out in 1966 and ended production in the mid 90's and was used in heavier cars and Trucks. The C6 has a good reputation for carrying big loads as well.
1984 Rover Vandenplas V8 (Historic Race car)
1986 Rover 3500 Vitesse with 4.6lt from V8 Developments (UK Import Ex London Police Car)
1982 Rover SDS V8 manual
2009 Ford Territory ST,
2006 Ford Fiesta 1.6 Auto, daily driver

wally

Post by wally » Tue 11 Dec 2007, 14:58

shot! thanx!
so, would it it be better to have the C4 or is C6 OK?

i will basically be using my car as an everyday driver/cruiser.
no racing, etc.
http://www.projectamazinggrace.org - Uniting the world's Christian community in one song on 8 November 2015 @ 15h00 GMT. Come sing with us!

Gavin RS

Post by Gavin RS » Thu 13 Dec 2007, 15:04

wally wrote: shot! thanx!
so, would it it be better to have the C4 or is C6 OK?

i will basically be using my car as an everyday driver/cruiser.
no racing, etc.

Either one would be ok,if you have a C6 already then rather use that.
1984 Rover Vandenplas V8 (Historic Race car)
1986 Rover 3500 Vitesse with 4.6lt from V8 Developments (UK Import Ex London Police Car)
1982 Rover SDS V8 manual
2009 Ford Territory ST,
2006 Ford Fiesta 1.6 Auto, daily driver

wally

Post by wally » Thu 13 Dec 2007, 23:28

i have an option to buy 351 Cleveland with C6 box for R9000-00

but think i will give it a skip.
priority for next year is the body and the year after that the motor.

so, if anybody wants this motor, i can give you the contact details.

paul351xb

Post by paul351xb » Sat 22 Dec 2007, 09:52

The C6 is a tough box, actually it's more a small truck box. You might have trouble fitting the C6 to a Fairmont/Falcon. It will fit, but it has to made to fit as it is larger than a C4 and FMX and heaps heavier too. So if the thought of having to modify the transmisson tunnel and fiddle with linkages etc doesn't bother you go for it. Not sure but I think the transmission mounting area also needs modding for the C6 to fit.

For ease and peace of mind it might be wiser to go the C4. They are lighter, can be made almost bullet proof and there is a lot more aftermarket stuff available for them to keep them going strong.

Social Media