1965/66 OpelRekord "B" Front alignment

Any questions or suggestions regarding restorations
Post Reply
User avatar
Johann66
Posts: 245
Joined: Fri 14 Apr 2017, 13:21

1965/66 OpelRekord "B" Front alignment

Post by Johann66 » Mon 23 Apr 2018, 17:28

I have tried chevyII, Ranger, measurements and still cannot get the wheel aligment to be right! I am on my 3rd set of tires!
In desperation I decided to try my "Boere Manier" of adjustment!
I pointed the nose and steering to be pointing straight and marked with chalk on the cement the front and rear each tire!
The left front had a toe-in of 30mm and the right front had a toe-in of 10mm 8O
This after adjustment by a tyre fitment centre. The caster and camber was OK!
I used my Bobbejaan spanner and adusted the toe-in's to as near as dammit to parralell and almost no toe-in!
Steering control is much better! :)
However I am stilllooking for the "B" Mckinnon engined specs. The German Cam in head "B' body is different!.
Please help if you can! My new tyres are in the boot!! :mrgreen:

User avatar
Can-Am ZN
Posts: 735
Joined: Mon 23 Jun 2014, 15:27
Location: Valley of 1000 Hills, KwaZulu-Natal

Re: 1965/66 OpelRekord "B" Front alignment

Post by Can-Am ZN » Mon 23 Apr 2018, 21:03

Here's quite a detailed history of the GM Canada Mckinnin Industries...no mention of the 2.5 4-cylinder engine though:

http://hotrod.gregwapling.com/chevrolet/mckinnon.html
Gavin

1974 Chev Can-Am 302
1991 BMW 325iS Evolution (SOLD)


"The sad reality about the uneducated is that they don't know that they don't know." - Me

Image

User avatar
Johann66
Posts: 245
Joined: Fri 14 Apr 2017, 13:21

Re: 1965/66 OpelRekord "B" Front alignment

Post by Johann66 » Tue 24 Apr 2018, 10:01

Thanks Gavin, The "B" body came out with a 2.1 McKinnon engine. Several different engines were tried during the 65/66 period when Pre-Production planning was done for the Ranger. Fitting a 2.5 engine was one of those.

User avatar
Johann66
Posts: 245
Joined: Fri 14 Apr 2017, 13:21

Re: 1965/66 OpelRekord "B" Front alignment

Post by Johann66 » Wed 25 Apr 2018, 11:42

Johann66 wrote:
Tue 24 Apr 2018, 10:01
Thanks Gavin, The "B" body came out with a 2.1 McKinnon engine. Several different engines were tried during the 65/66 period when Pre-Production planning was done for the Ranger. Fitting a 2.5 engine was one of those.
This about the time when GM's engine plant started at Motherwell! Also the worst time for record keeping!

User avatar
Johann66
Posts: 245
Joined: Fri 14 Apr 2017, 13:21

Re: 1965/66 OpelRekord "B" Front alignment

Post by Johann66 » Thu 26 Apr 2018, 17:48

Just for info!! My Boere Manier appears to be working! Tyres look much better and handling much better! Slight adjustment on Left front required! :D

User avatar
ZA Perana
Posts: 7272
Joined: Sun 15 Jul 2007, 18:01
Location: Cape Town

Re: 1965/66 OpelRekord "B" Front alignment

Post by ZA Perana » Fri 27 Apr 2018, 11:33

Johann66 wrote:
Thu 26 Apr 2018, 17:48
Just for info!! My Boere Manier appears to be working! Tyres look much better and handling much better! Slight adjustment on Left front required! :D
Its actually a very clever method, I was taught similar using rope between the front of the car and the back of the car.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

User avatar
Johann66
Posts: 245
Joined: Fri 14 Apr 2017, 13:21

Re: 1965/66 OpelRekord "B" Front alignment

Post by Johann66 » Fri 27 Apr 2018, 11:41

ZA Perana wrote:
Fri 27 Apr 2018, 11:33
Johann66 wrote:
Thu 26 Apr 2018, 17:48
Just for info!! My Boere Manier appears to be working! Tyres look much better and handling much better! Slight adjustment on Left front required! :D
Its actually a very clever method, I was taught similar using rope between the front of the car and the back of the car.
Just went to the hardware shop and the road holding is great! No riffles on the tread! The front and rear measure requires that your tires must have the same offset. I have 25mm wider front than rear! Now I know why they could not align the front wheels! 8O

Post Reply

Social Media

     

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests