58 Chevy Build

Any questions or suggestions regarding restorations
pas-chill

Re: 58 Chevy Build

Post by pas-chill » Wed 02 Aug 2017, 01:12

This is an amazing adventure. I'm glad that you included us in it. If I'm not mistaken, those Chevy Express vans have an "Econo" button. When you press it, it makes the gearbox change up at lower revs. I'm not sure what it does to the motor tune, but it makes a large difference on fuel consumption. I used to rent these vans vans here, from time to time. You should check if the ECU that you purchased, has that function.
It's quite sad how people still have to pay a huge price for simple basic parts from the US. These engines, gearboxes, parts etc. can be picked up for a days wages.
That cab that you spent so much of time and money overhauling can be purchased "brand new" here from the local repro company. Just saves time = money. I believe that they actually have a dealer in Durban.

Chev58

Re: 58 Chevy Build

Post by Chev58 » Wed 02 Aug 2017, 10:38

Thanks pas-chill, yes I am aware of the econo/performance setting(also known as Tow/haul) this mainly changes the way the gearbox shifts.
his is something I am working on already, currently in cruizing type driving (light throttle applications) I have it shifting into top gear @ 60km/hr then it is @ under 1500 rpm.
With having fitted a shift kit and changed diff gearing I have to custom tune all the shift speeds etc, results are coming along nicely :D , at cruizing speeds/normal driving(which is difficult at the best of times :twisted: ) it shifts smooth and effortless, from about half throttle upwards it will chirp the tires on up shifts( nice firm shifts).
I am aware of the replacement cabs and pretty much all steel body parts for these trucks, but the fit and quality are despicable at best of times :roll: .
At this end of the globe we are sheisstered out of good money to build these cars :evil:
58 Chevy Apache

Social Media