Ford Capri brake upgrade

Any questions or suggestions regarding restorations
Leraj

Ford Capri brake upgrade

Post by Leraj » Thu 05 Nov 2015, 17:19

Hey guys.
Wonder if anyone can help?
I am in the beginning of my Capri restoration and I am looking at the options for the brake and upgrade.
I am gonna put a ford v8 302 engine and was wondering what options are available in SA for the upgrades.
I know that Wilwood does a brake upgrade but that is quite pricey.
Is the stock brakes adequate, or do I have to upgrade to wilwood, or is there something available in between.
I have seen online the use of Volvo calipers but this involves machining the holes and I am a bit sceptical of this.
Thanks for the input in advance.

ZA Perana

Re: Ford Capri brake upgrade

Post by ZA Perana » Fri 06 Nov 2015, 20:14

You can use Golf Mk2 GTI calipers at the back and Jetta Mk2 handbrake cables, combine this with a Bantam solid disk.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

Leraj

Post by Leraj » Sat 07 Nov 2015, 11:20

Thanks Za.
So is the standard front brakes adequate?
I can just upgrade the rear.
And has anyone used a x-frame, axle location kit.
Thanks again.
Lee

Leraj

Post by Leraj » Tue 10 Nov 2015, 13:56

Hey all.
Here are some pics of my Capri. Sent it off for sandblasting as it has lots of bodyfiller.
Then going to start with getting it ready for painting. Will see what is beneath the body filler :?
I am waiting for Rocket88 to get back to me regarding a ford 302 engine, seems like their shipment was delayed.
Then to plan gearbox, diff, brakes and suspension.
I have a 3000gt so will keep front suspension but change inserts, also might get shorter stronger springs. I want to drop the car 1 inch.
The diff I was thinking ford 9 inch but reading some posts, maybe I will see if someone can clone the perana diff.
Will keep you guys posted.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (242.27 KiB) Viewed 9400 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (332.21 KiB) Viewed 9400 times

Ranger1

Post by Ranger1 » Tue 10 Nov 2015, 15:51

The diff is a 292 Borg Warner diff as far as I understand and so is the chev 4100 so I would think that they are the same. Maybe just mounting brackets differ.
I could be wrong.
Mark

colin davids

Post by colin davids » Fri 13 Nov 2015, 09:01

Hi Leraj.If you want a quick and cheap minor upgrade on the front,rover calipers bolt straight on.I have this on one of my capris.My other car runs bmw 328 discs.You will need to redrill them to your 108 pcd and have spigot rings made.Also a caliper bracket must be fabricated. A friend of mine has used brakes from the old bmw 7 series which are much bigger and run four-pot calipers. I will find out what was involved in that conversion as i think it would be better than mine.When it comes to the diff,i have used the chev stuff and its a bit fragile. Also when you need parts like sideshafts its a problem as they have to be shortened.I used an m75 out of a hilux bakkie. Thick shafts and its only 10mm narrower than the capri diff so it goes in as is.Also parts are plentiful.I made my own spring perches and anti-tramprod brackets. Redrill the shafts to fit your wheels and youve got a strong and serviceable diff.
Just remember those hilux bakkies come with 4.88:1 diff ratios so you may want to change that...or wheelspin all the way into top gear. :D :D :D
FORD CAPRI PERANA NO. 66
FORD CAPRI V8 DRAG CAR
FORD SIERRA XR8
FORD CORTINA 3.0 S W/CHEVY V8
BMW E30 W/ FORD 347 STROKER
1970 MUSTANG MACH 1 MANUAL W/4V CLEVELAND
SUZUKI GSXR 1000
FORD SAPPHIRE 2 LITRE 16 VALVE TURBO

Leraj

Post by Leraj » Fri 13 Nov 2015, 11:12

Thanks Colin and Mark.
I need to start getting the diff, suspension and brakes parts sorted.
Colin, what chev diff did you use, and and chance I could see a pic of your brakes, just for an idea of what needs to be done.
Been looking on the web for diffs but not many available on offer, might have to cruise the scrap yards and look for a gem.
Thanks again.
Car has been sandblasted and primed, now to get the body sorted.
Going today to Rocket88 to get engine.
Will post pics soon.
Lee

Gavin RS

Post by Gavin RS » Fri 13 Nov 2015, 12:39

Try find Focus ST170 front brakes, you can adapt the discs and calipers to fit and they are nice and big.
1984 Rover Vanden Plas V8 (Historic Race car)
1986 Rover 3500 Vitesse (UK Import Ex London Police Car)
1983 Rover Vanden Plas undergoing conversion to race car.
2009 Ford Territory ST,
2006 Ford Fiesta 1.6 Auto, daily driver

Leraj

Post by Leraj » Tue 17 Nov 2015, 11:45

Hi all, and thanks Gavin,
I need to go hunting for that ST170 brakes.
I got the engine from Rocket 88, and the calesman, Criag who was very helpful, said that i should use the ford 8.8 diff with LSD that they sell.
the option sounded interesting, but the diff will probablly need shortening, so i think i will visit Transaxle and see if they can make a perana clone diff.
Going to strip engine and recon it, also going to to a head job, though it would be great to get a aluminium performance head, but the cost is quite high to get them from th e US.
Thanks again all.
Leraj

Bearhawke

Post by Bearhawke » Sat 28 Nov 2015, 01:03

Toyota minitruck diffs are quite strong.
Bearhawke in Az, USA

1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager minivan.

Social Media