Modern Jag Suspension

Any questions or suggestions regarding restorations
RIC

Modern Jag Suspension

Post by RIC » Sun 22 Mar 2015, 23:50

Hi all

Has anybody used or have any thoughts on the feasibility of using a modern Jaguar (2003) suspension on a rebuild....I am looking for a suspension for my 58 Chevy Apache and 58 Biscayne Coupe. Any thoughts, comments, views, advise will be most appreciated.

RiC

ters

Re: Modern Jag Suspension

Post by ters » Mon 23 Mar 2015, 06:21

Older Jaguar suspensions were revolutionary for it's time, but has long ago been passed. Modern (eg BMW,Mercedes, Audi) has long surpassed their levels of handling and comfort. The era you are considering was essentially a Mazda/Ford Mondeo platform.

Some Cobra conversions are done on M3 suspensions, offering the possibility of using the ABS, DSC systems of the donor. Although not very common in SA, Toyota Soarer suspensions are rumored to be well balanced also.

My Z$1....

Ters.
When it comes to the wife its easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission!
AMC Forum now accessible on Tapatalk! http://www.tsclassicclinic.co.za/

HughMuller

Post by HughMuller » Mon 23 Mar 2015, 07:41

Well We are working on 2 Suspensions option
Currently I am Building a 56 F100 and decided to opt for some other then a jag suspension

With this being said we are running a few test

I have a Corvette C4 Front Suspension. That will be the first test for drive-ability
It is a very common option in the USA market

The second which is still in Soliworks state but is being designed specifically for Classic trucks
We are reverse engineering the REVO Ifs from Roadstershop, reason we are reverse engineering is due to cost firstly $4000 that's before it even leaves the USA
We plan running 42mm x 3mmOD seamless tube for lower control arms and 35mm x3mm OD seamless tube for upper control arms
The bulkier arms means that the suspension will be built to last

The plan is to have this available for all classic Chev, Fords and a few classic cars
1969 Camaro Convertible RS/SS Full Frame 427CI ZL1
1971 Plymouth Cuda
1956 Ford F100

Tagg

Post by Tagg » Mon 23 Mar 2015, 12:16

You guys make my 8 to 5 seem so boring! Here I am feverishly typing a report that was due last week that that none of the clients will read in its entirety because I have to present my findings and "take them through it" anyway!

Garage

Post by Garage » Tue 24 Mar 2015, 03:01

Old Jag works (and is still valid in the right vehicle) because pretty much everything (except upper shock mount) sits on the cross member. And geometry is good. 'Newer' options like BMW etc are a lot more work to get right.

Out of interest Hugh, where are you sourcing seamless tubing from? Hard to find proper seamless (not pipe) locally, say DOM (drawn over mandrel) and most don't have a clue what you are talking about.
Keen to see your setup once done, but hard to imagine you'll come in under the cost of Jag?
Barry

Metalshaping courses, Replacement panels, Full Builds, General Fabrication.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Garag ... 2857822743

IndianaJones

Post by IndianaJones » Tue 24 Mar 2015, 08:13

Garage wrote:where are you sourcing seamless tubing from? Hard to find proper seamless (not pipe) locally, say DOM (drawn over mandrel) and most don't have a clue what you are talking about.
Like this?
http://www.hyflo.co.za/products.asp?Cat ... eel%20Tube

HughMuller

Post by HughMuller » Tue 24 Mar 2015, 12:04

@Barry The Product i am using is called Docol Tubecon supply it
Also ProcessPipe has DOM seamless tubing as well
1971 Plymouth Cuda
1956 Ford F100

HughMuller

Post by HughMuller » Tue 24 Mar 2015, 12:13

Garage wrote:Old Jag works (and is still valid in the right vehicle) because pretty much everything (except upper shock mount) sits on the cross member. And geometry is good. 'Newer' options like BMW etc are a lot more work to get right.

Out of interest Hugh, where are you sourcing seamless tubing from? Hard to find proper seamless (not pipe) locally, say DOM (drawn over mandrel) and most don't have a clue what you are talking about.
Keen to see your setup once done, but hard to imagine you'll come in under the cost of Jag?
With regards to costs
Current estimate with Wilwood Spindle and 6 Pot brembos used of course from the Porsche Cayenne laser cutting parts approx about 200 individual parts that get interlocked to give strength and the DOM Seamless Tubing , jig etc at moment i am currently in at R3500 the end unit cost of materials etc with finish of at about R4500 ok that does exclude shocks and that will be what i have into it.
the advantage is I will have 42mm OD Lower Control Arms and 33MM OD Upper arms so it will handle the roads we currently face
camber and caster can be adjusted with the eccentric bolts on lower suspension, bump steer correct and will either be bolt in or weld in.
Attachments
cad-designed-revo-ifs.jpg
cad-designed-revo-ifs.jpg (167.3 KiB) Viewed 4837 times
1971 Plymouth Cuda
1956 Ford F100

Chevy 54

Post by Chevy 54 » Tue 24 Mar 2015, 17:32

Hi Hugh,

Where can one buy this suspension?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If everything fails, just keep on rodding

HughMuller

Post by HughMuller » Tue 24 Mar 2015, 21:20

Pro type will be going into my 56 F100
And one all the teething challenges have been sorted I will make it available to everyone
I expect another month or 2

Pm me is you want more info
1971 Plymouth Cuda
1956 Ford F100

Social Media