Any questions or suggestions regarding restorations
IndianaJones

Re: '49 Ford

Post by IndianaJones » Sun 03 May 2015, 14:23

Looks good, just love these shoeboxes.

hitlers revenge

Post by hitlers revenge » Sun 03 May 2015, 20:35

I'm so happy, all I wanna do is drive. Every 5 minutes I keep asking the wife if she needs something from the shop. :) :) :) :) :)

Today we refitted all the carpets and the front seat, connected up the speedometer cable, tuned the brakes up a bit and away we went.

Not without trouble though.

Our first drive (my son and I ) was to the garage to make sure there was enough air in the tyres. As we left he asked if I had my wallet. I frowned as you don't need money for air.

Maybe he knew something, but when we got 100 m from our driveway on the return trip we ran out of fuel. :) :) :)

We also then noticed a overheated front brake. So while my son went for petrol, I adjusted the brake shoes.

Next it was time to take the family to the shop for tomorrows bread and milk.

Now, as I said, I keep asking them don't they need anything else. :) :)

Tuesday I will replace the exhaust as the final thing to do before licencing the car

hitlers revenge

Post by hitlers revenge » Sun 10 May 2015, 13:22

Fifty km round trip yesterday to replace full exhaust and the car ran beautifully.

Today the car won't start. Off to buy petrol in a can. Car still don't wanna start.

Put in an electric fuel pump and there she goes. Disconnect the electric pump and car keeps on running.

Therefore the problem must be the standard pump.

Will remove it next week as today I wanna show her off at the EFCC.

hitlers revenge

Post by hitlers revenge » Tue 12 May 2015, 16:49

So over 2 afternoons it was to the Traffic Dept, Police Clearance, Data Dot, Police Clearance, Traffic Dept. Number plate maker and finally home to cut out and paste the licence disc onto the front windscreen.

Now let the fun begin. :) :)

On the trip home, I stopped at a friend who lives directly opposite the Traffic officer school. Luck would have it that 2 cadets stopped at my car and looked at the licence. It is a S licence and dated 2011.

The funny thing was that they had been learning about S licences today, and had a discussion about the licence disc.

I then asked them to explain how it works, which they did.

Don't know if they were surprised to see a S licence disc on the day they were taught about them, but they completely missed the 2011 bit. :) :) :)
Last edited by hitlers revenge on Tue 12 May 2015, 22:42, edited 1 time in total.

Chev58

Post by Chev58 » Tue 12 May 2015, 21:39

Cool, congratulations.
Excuse my ignorance, please explain what an S license is?
Tom
58 Chevy Apache

hitlers revenge

Post by hitlers revenge » Tue 12 May 2015, 22:41

It is to licence a show car ie, cars to be driven to shows only and with no passengers. :) :) :)

The car does not have a roadworthy test and your licence fees are +/-R140 a year.

hitlers revenge

Post by hitlers revenge » Sat 16 May 2015, 20:39

So this weekend I removed the petrol pump and water pump.

I had the ford manual pump running and was using an electric pump as standby. Last week the manual pump let me down 3 times.

I think the diaphragm might be shot, so connected the electric pump permanently.

The car was getting very hot in traffic. So everything to do with cooling was removed today.

Found no problems, so cleaned up everything and replaced.

Test drive tonight an it still gets hot in traffic. Might have to invest in an electric fan.

I will see tomorrow (Sunday) on the breakfast run.

ters

Post by ters » Sun 17 May 2015, 07:24

hitlers revenge wrote: The car was getting very hot in traffic. So everything to do with cooling was removed today.

Found no problems, so cleaned up everything and replaced.

Test drive tonight an it still gets hot in traffic. Might have to invest in an electric fan.

I will see tomorrow (Sunday) on the breakfast run.
What is the temperature like while cruising? Not a bad idea to fit an auxiliary fan, but also check the thermostat operating properly.....fit a "cooler" one? Drill two 5mm holes in the thermo casing for peace of mind?

Enjoy the outing with the oldie! Post some pics please! :mrgreen:

Ters.
When it comes to the wife its easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission!
AMC Forum now accessible on Tapatalk! http://www.tsclassicclinic.co.za/

IndianaJones

Post by IndianaJones » Sun 17 May 2015, 14:32

What radiator are you currently using, is it at least a 4-core, how many litres coolant in total, do you have a fan shroud, etc, etc?

hitlers revenge

Post by hitlers revenge » Sun 17 May 2015, 20:48

I am using the original radiator from the Ford. I added 2 litres of anti freeze and no, I don't have a fan shroud. (I believe I am using about 6 litres of coolant in total)

Se my post - yesterday and today's radiators in tech section.

Social Media