67 545ci Mustang Fastback conversion!

Any questions or suggestions regarding restorations
383CUDA

67 545ci Mustang Fastback conversion!

Post by 383CUDA » Wed 20 Nov 2013, 07:30

First up I want to send n huge thank you to Colin and his brother who drove 1800km one way (and back) to bring us our new 545 ci beast. It takes trust, character and balls.

So, My brother in law and I acquired a seriously messed up 67 Stang with the idea to bring in fastback panels and do a 390 GT clone. But now that we have nearly 9 liters of Armageddon we just gonna build a monster. Car is now stripped down to bare metal and we found a lot more kak than we thought was there...but that's how it goes isn't it?

I have a feeling someone on AMC may know some history about this car and I would love any interesting stories.
Now before you blue oval guys get too excited, this is the perfect car to convert and by far the better option:
1) it's been made a convertible before we bought it :roll: so the roof is non existent.
2) It's been rear ended so hard you would not believe what the trunk floor looks like, like crumpled newspaper.
3) side braces from heavy sheet metal have been arc welded in by a seemingly two year old.
4) Plenty rust
5) It's pretty much a basketcase, not what you would call straight.

There are no illusions that this will be an easy project and we will encounter a lot of obstacles.
But that's rodding, this will be a very slow build but I will update when I can.

Lastly this will NOT be some "Eleanor and all" typical Fastback, this will be against the grain.
Pics on the way of current status.

Cheers Etienne
Web: www.automotivefocus.co.za
Mail: Info@automotivefocus.co.za
Instagram: automotive__focus

gordini

Re: 67 545ci Mustang Fastback conversion!

Post by gordini » Wed 20 Nov 2013, 07:49

Awesome Ettiene, bringing an old lady back to life again. 8) 8) 8) Now you need to change your signature :lol: :lol:

Gooi pix please
In my old age...
i drink a tripple,i see double and i act single..

From Malmesbury

383CUDA

Post by 383CUDA » Wed 20 Nov 2013, 07:54

Thanks man, I love all Muscle Cars, but I love Mopar the most.

49Shoebox

Post by 49Shoebox » Wed 20 Nov 2013, 08:44

Not for long :mrgreen: I recall a blue 67 that once was a coupe then became a conv.....same car?
Just enjoy life, it doesnt last forever.

383CUDA

Post by 383CUDA » Wed 20 Nov 2013, 08:52

49Shoebox wrote:Not for long :mrgreen: I recall a blue 67 that once was a coupe then became a conv.....same car?
Dont think so shoebox, this thing was coated in 1 meter thick appliance white?

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Wed 20 Nov 2013, 09:01

Wonder if this one ever had a panga taken to it.....
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

383CUDA

Post by 383CUDA » Wed 20 Nov 2013, 09:13

ZA Perana wrote:Wonder if this one ever had a panga taken to it.....
Not sure I follow ZA?

colin davids

Post by colin davids » Wed 20 Nov 2013, 10:38

383CUDA wrote:First up I want to send n huge thank you to Colin and his brother who drove 1800km one way (and back) to bring us our new 545 ci beast. It takes trust, character and balls.

So, My brother in law and I acquired a seriously messed up 67 Stang with the idea to bring in fastback panels and do a 390 GT clone. But now that we have nearly 9 liters of Armageddon we just gonna build a monster. Car is now stripped down to bare metal and we found a lot more kak than we thought was there...but that's how it goes isn't it?

I have a feeling someone on AMC may know some history about this car and I would love any interesting stories.
Now before you blue oval guys get too excited, this is the perfect car to convert and by far the better option:
1) it's been made a convertible before we bought it :roll: so the roof is non existent.
2) It's been rear ended so hard you would not believe what the trunk floor looks like, like crumpled newspaper.
3) side braces from heavy sheet metal have been arc welded in by a seemingly two year old.
4) Plenty rust

There are no illusions that this will be an easy project and we will encounter a lot of obstacles.
But that's rodding, this will be a very slow build but I will update when I can.

Lastly this will NOT be some "Eleanor and all" typical Fastback, this will be against the grain.

Cheers Etienne
No probs Etienne.The important thing is that you received the engine in the same condition as when it left Cape Town. Cant wait for the build pics and to see the finished product.Speak to Ralph at Motown about those panels...............but don't ask me to bring it to you. Dis kak ver.:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
FORD CAPRI PERANA NO. 66
FORD CAPRI V8 DRAG CAR
FORD SIERRA XR8
FORD CORTINA 3.0 S W/CHEVY V8
BMW E30 W/ FORD 347 STROKER
1970 MUSTANG MACH 1 MANUAL W/4V CLEVELAND
SUZUKI GSXR 1000
FORD SAPPHIRE 2 LITRE 16 VALVE TURBO

383CUDA

Post by 383CUDA » Wed 20 Nov 2013, 10:40

colin davids wrote:
383CUDA wrote:First up I want to send n huge thank you to Colin and his brother who drove 1800km one way (and back) to bring us our new 545 ci beast. It takes trust, character and balls.

4) Plenty rust

Cheers Etienne
No probs Etienne.The important thing is that you received the engine in the same condition as when it left Cape Town. Cant wait for the build pics and to see the finished product.Speak to Ralph at Motown about those panels...............but don't ask me to bring it to you. Dis kak ver.:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ha ha ha ha ha ja dit is kak ver man. In die middel van nerens...en dit word 40 grade + elke dag.
Will keep everyone posted on build progress.

Buckaroo

Post by Buckaroo » Wed 20 Nov 2013, 12:51

Etienne - before you spend a fortune on repair/replacement panels from the USA - we have in stock a number of Dynacorn - ie Ford licenced - rear floor panels with rear arches - they go from the door opening backwards - plus other parts - as well as 2 complete 67 Dynacorn bodyshells - experience tells me the ultimately cheapest option - as a number people we know ended up spending way more on doing up a 40 year old body/car - which is always a 40 year old body/car - than they would have if they had bought a Dynacorn body in the first place - with brand new 2012 steel and manufacturing processes.
www:amcarimports.co.za : New 67/68/69/70 RHD Mustang Fastbacks, Restomod: RHD 65-70 Mustangs, RHD Chevelle coupes, RHD 68 Camaros.
Amcar Imports : RHD 2012/13/14 Mustangs and Shelbys, F150 Raptor
Dynacorn Bodies.

Social Media