Fairmont GT Dash Repairs

Any questions or suggestions regarding restorations
72XYGT

Re: Fairmont GT Dash Repairs

Post by 72XYGT » Mon 24 Dec 2007, 17:23

If you have another fascia its easier to cut out a piece to the size required and glue it in with epoxy. Its not that bad and can be repaired.

72XYGT

Post by 72XYGT » Sun 06 Jan 2008, 17:16

Guys, I eventually took a pic today of the refurbished fascia. Overall its reasonable and chrome painting came out tops. Dont know how this will withstand the weathering and UV rays from our harsh sun. Only time will tell. The chrome looks like the real thing. My only complain is that with this sort of thing the masking has to be tops. Unfortunately here and there it wasnt done so neatly but nothing patience, a steady hand and some thinners cant do.
Well, the flat is finished (and wife is happy) and no excuse now, I have to finish this XW. Last time I touched it was end October. Wish me luck!!!

Daan

j1autotech

Post by j1autotech » Sun 06 Jan 2008, 18:59

Nice Daan, nice

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Sun 06 Jan 2008, 19:50

Daan,

That looks excellent.

How much did the Cosmichrome cost you? How long did it take? Who did the black paint you or them?

I might be tempted to get the Capri's dash done.

72XYGT

Post by 72XYGT » Sun 06 Jan 2008, 20:14

John, the chrome spray cost came to R500. The argent grey came out a bit darker, it was mixed according to the sample given to the paint shop. They were unable to match or cross reference the Dulon code. The Argent grey paint was supplied by me but painted by the guy who did the chrome spray job.

Apparently there is also another spray-on chrome which is much cheaper than this method. I have yet to see results but was told it is quite acceptable

Cheers,
Daan

Stealth GT

Post by Stealth GT » Sun 06 Jan 2008, 20:51

Daan really good job there , Im going to try a guy down here in Cape Town otherwise Ill have to send it up to you ;)

Cheers warren

Social Media