302w starting prob

Any questions or suggestions regarding restorations
V8GFISH

302w starting prob

Post by V8GFISH » Wed 17 Sep 2008, 17:14

Hi guys,

I havn't posted for a while so i thought i'd give you all a brain teaser!! :D

I have rebuilt my 302w and am trying to fire her up for the 1st time but am having no luck.
I have put the dizzy rotor arm pointing to the number 1 piston at TDC and have put the leads in correct firing order from number 1 in an anti clock wise direction.
V8_15426378.gif
I have fuel going into the carby then down the throat and have tested for spark by earthing a plug on the body, all good there.
It cranks over easy but dosn't want to start or even sounds like it wants to start?
Here is a pic before i pulled my motor out, the number 1 is facing foward yet i thought it had to face number 1 piston at TDC?
Any help would be great thanks as i'm stumped!!
No1 lead.bmp
Ford_cyln_1234.gif
V8_dist_ro_ccw.gif
Cheers, Daz
72 Capri Perana
www.perthcapri.com

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21

PeteLeathersac

Re: 302w starting prob

Post by PeteLeathersac » Wed 17 Sep 2008, 17:56

Is your distributor 180 degrees out and making a woofing sound out the carb?.
~ Pete
CANADA

FairmontGT
Site Admin

Post by FairmontGT » Wed 17 Sep 2008, 18:01

On my 351c Im pretty sure the 1 lead is at the back of the dizzy - but they might work totally differently.
Yes we did build muscle cars in RSA!!!!
http://www.africanmusclecars.com

V8GFISH

Post by V8GFISH » Wed 17 Sep 2008, 18:12

I have set the dizzy rotor arm to aim for no:1 piston at TDC not at the front like my before pic shows.
I heard some woofing a couple of times yesterday but then nothing today. Yeah the 351 firing order is different i think.

I need to know were the dizzy arm should be pointing when no:1 piston is at TDC (top dead centre) i think.

Sooo close to hearing it rumble!!! :x
Cheers, Daz
72 Capri Perana
www.perthcapri.com

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21

Lino

Post by Lino » Wed 17 Sep 2008, 18:41

I once confused the issue properly in that I counted our Ford 302's pots the same way as our Chev's left right left right etc. :oops: :oops:

Problem is my brother is the mechanic so when I tackle these things I learn the hard way but have always got it right in the end.

Elimination Daz that's the trick as it may even be something else and the Dizzy correct.

The important thing is the dizzy No. 1 cylinder at TDC for No. 1 that point on the dizzy needs to be where the arm is. And then off course the firing order correct.

Best you take off the one rocker cover and check which cycle the motor is on as it could be 180 out when the dizzy seems to be correct as before. Which means that if the motor is on the wrong stroke for No. 1 and the dizzy is as before then the dizzy is wrong.

Warren you Ford-kop where's your 25 cents information ?? :oops:

Lino

Post by Lino » Wed 17 Sep 2008, 19:25

But before that Daz check if there is any spark at the end of the lead even if it's 180' out. Just unplug one cap and put a sparkplug in it earthed.

V8GFISH

Post by V8GFISH » Wed 17 Sep 2008, 19:52

Cheers Lino, have checked for spark and all ok there. I'll re-check the TDC settings but pretty sure they are ok.

Any other ideas out there? :mrgreen:
Cheers, Daz
72 Capri Perana
www.perthcapri.com

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21

Lino

Post by Lino » Wed 17 Sep 2008, 20:02

Daz, if there is a flame and fuel by the spark there mustr be an explosion. fact that it does'nt even "cough" they can't be meeting even if some plug wires were wrong;y placed.

This is what I would do which is what I did with mine, I made sure No.1 cyl was on the compression stroke you TDC it. Then I took that plug wire off fitted a loose plug, earthed and turned the distributor to and fro across where it's supposed to spark the plug. Tt should throw a flame if the No 1 plug wire is in the right position in the cap acording to the arm passing inside the cap. If you get that even if the timing is a bit out and there is fuel it must go bang.

So if you get there and still nothing then it may be a fuel problem give it a tot of fule through the carb then it must say something. If not then maybe when the motor is being swung the spark is so weak due to the current being swiped by the high amps demanded by the starter. To get around that I've taken a piece of wire from the battery to the coil direct. These are my simple find by elimination ideas.

Stealth GT

Post by Stealth GT » Wed 17 Sep 2008, 21:30

I would first check if the valves settings are correct ( is it a hydraulic cam or solid )then rock number six with number 1 firing ,check where the rotor is pointing ( remember the engine doesn't care where the rotor is pointing as long as number one is timed from this spot ) turn the housing to get points to fire lock the dizzy then start to put your leads from this position to the plugs in the correct firing order of course
If you have spark ,petrol and the valve settings are correct it must fire if its hydraulic its always best to prime the oil system with a drilling machine until the oil has come up through all 16 of the pushrods and rockers this always works for me

Warren

RASSIE

Post by RASSIE » Thu 18 Sep 2008, 10:46

If it don,t work, you have to take your dist. to be tested as I had the same noncence with a straight 6 Fairmont, all spark was perfect but as it swing it lost the spark and it was too weak to start. Cheers Rassie.
http://www.rassiesauto.co.za/
“Cowboys do not ride donkeys”
“I will die driving a V8”

Social Media