1965/66 Opel Rekord L Rally GMSA

Any questions or suggestions regarding restorations
Johann65

Re: 1966 engine development on the Ranger SS!!

Post by Johann65 » Sat 21 Sep 2013, 21:54

Hullo All. Now you will understand why I am over the moon! ;) ;)

Here is a condensed report on the 1965/6 Opel Rekord and the "Very Few" McKinnon engine Locally built Rekords 8O 8O
The wiring and regulators were are "Made in Canada" and not Adam Opel like the "Real" Opel's!! :D :D
Will pic the details as we go along! 8) 8) Enjoy the reading!

The Rekord B can be seen as a cross-over model and an emergency response: Opel had originally intended to launch their all new generation of four cylinder engines in an all new Opel Rekord, but as the scheduled launch data approached it became clear that while the new engines would be ready for a 1965 launch, other key elements for the new models would not. With the marketing department and dealers geared up for a new model, the decision was therefore taken to present the new engines in what was essentially the old body, albeit with certain styling cues that adumbrated the new model that in the event would appear a year later.

The Rekord B therefore featured the (then highly unusual) rectangular headlights that would be a feature of the 1966 Rekord C, as well as similar patterns of exterior chrome decoration.

At the back the traditional rectangular light groupings of the Rekord A were, for the Rekord B, replaced with four bold round light units similar to those planned for the forthcoming Opel GT.

The interior design and even the colour and trim options were only mildly modified for the Rekord B. Rekord Bs rolled down the Rüsselsheim production lines for rather less than a year between late Summer 1965 and mid Summer 1966.

All models now came with disc brakes at the front and drum brakes at the back, controlled using a dual circuit system and brake booster.

The standard transmission package for the saloon/sedan and estate/station wagon bodied Rekord Bs featured a manual all-synchromesh gearbox, controlled by a column mounted lever. Customers could choose between three or four forward speeds.

Coupé buyers found the four speed manual transmission, but controlled using a centrally positioned floor mounted gear lever, included in the price.

Earlier models had carried the name "Opel Olympia Rekord", and although this had been shortened to "Opel Rekord" in 1959, Opel retained an attachment to the Olympia name. levels that the 1966 Rekord based Opel Olympia was the last Opel for which it was necessary to pay extra if you wanted your car fitted with a heater.
The Rekord B was produced between 1965 and 1966 for approximately ten months. During this period 296,627 were produced.
Member No: 209
Ah! Yes I remember it well! (Only GM's!)
1966 Opel Rekord L CLASSIC SEDAN Current Project

kavesh

Post by kavesh » Sun 22 Sep 2013, 08:40

Congratulations Johann. Very nice indeed.

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Sun 22 Sep 2013, 19:41

Congratulations, that is indeed a rare car.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

Johann65

Post by Johann65 » Sun 22 Sep 2013, 19:58

ZA Perana wrote:Congratulations, that is indeed a rare car.
Thanks! :D What makes it more special is very little fiddling took place with the wiring, trim and body "NO Holes" :D :D
The left rear door suffered minor damage from some or other incident, but has been nicely repaired.
The two front seats are going to receive new centre inserts, that is all! The trim will remain stock standard 8)
It still has its original Parachute safety belts it was fitted out with.
The only real rust I found is in the Spare wheel well! :?
The car is not going to be re-sprayed!! It is going to be burnished and polished till it Shines!!

Another plus point is that I found a complete 1975 4.1 motor that I am stripping of all the parts that are same as the Rekord's 4 cylinder McKinnon, :D :D
I checked the block and it was cast in 1965, Numbers Matching! All 6 cylinder parts are going to the new owner of the Malibu as an added bonus for him :D :D

Real Cost is going to be minimal!! 8) 8)

gordini

Post by gordini » Sun 22 Sep 2013, 20:59

Johann65 wrote:
ZA Perana wrote:Congratulations, that is indeed a rare car.
Thanks! :D What makes it more special is very little fiddling took place with the wiring, trim and body "NO Holes" :D :D
The left rear door suffered minor damage from some or other incident, but has been nicely repaired.
The two front seats are going to receive new centre inserts, that is all! The trim will remain stock standard 8)
It still has its original Parachute safety belts it was fitted out with.
The only real rust I found is in the Spare wheel well! :?
The car is not going to be re-sprayed!! It is going to be burnished and polished till it Shines!!

Another plus point is that I found a complete 1975 4.1 motor that I am stripping of all the parts that are same as the Rekord's 4 cylinder McKinnon, :D :D
I checked the block and it was cast in 1965, Numbers Matching! All 6 cylinder parts are going to the new owner of the Malibu as an added bonus for him :D :D

Real Cost is going to be minimal!! 8) 8)
'n man met 'n plan.. ;) ;) ;)
In my old age...
i drink a tripple,i see double and i act single..

From Malmesbury

RASSIE

Post by RASSIE » Mon 23 Sep 2013, 07:08

Very nice oom Johann. You are always busy!! :lol:
Rassie.
http://www.rassiesauto.co.za/
“Cowboys do not ride donkeys”
“I will die driving a V8”

Johann65

Post by Johann65 » Mon 23 Sep 2013, 11:39

RASSIE wrote:Very nice oom Johann. You are always busy!! :lol:
Rassie.
Thanks Rassie,
Went this morning to get a duplicate registration certificate for the Malibu. No problem to get! :D :D Only problem is the new regulation that calls for a 7 day waiting period!! 8O

Asked about the registration for the Opel and to my surprise all the documentation in order, forms completed and I will be able to register the Opel in my name by next week subject to SAPS clearance. :D :D Just shows; DON"T BUY A CAR WITHOUT PAPERS!!! :roll: :roll:

Fitted new tyres this morning :) :) Thomas Tyres can't wait to see the car and do the wheel alignment!!

Johann65

Post by Johann65 » Mon 23 Sep 2013, 19:24

The GM development and standardisation :D The "B" model was the "in between Model" :D :D
1965 Vauxhall_1.jpg
Vauxhall A Model
1965 Vauxhall_1.jpg (145.34 KiB) Viewed 2861 times
1965_Opel_Rekord-2.jpg
Opel A Model
1965_Opel_Rekord-2.jpg (75.39 KiB) Viewed 2861 times
1966_Opel_Rekord_B_7.jpg
between A and C models
1966_Opel_Rekord_B_7.jpg (94.63 KiB) Viewed 2861 times
Opel_rekord_c_1.jpg
Opel C Model
Opel_rekord_c_1.jpg (131.7 KiB) Viewed 2860 times

Bearhawke

Post by Bearhawke » Tue 24 Sep 2013, 06:09

Johann65 wrote:The GM development and standardisation :D The "B" model was the "in between Model" :D :D
1965 Vauxhall_1.jpg
1965_Opel_Rekord-2.jpg
1966_Opel_Rekord_B_7.jpg
Opel_rekord_c_1.jpg
The basic styling is quite similar to a 1964-65 Chevelle/Beaumont and especially a 1962-65 Chevy II Nova/Acadian as well. 8)
Bearhawke in Az, USA

1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager minivan.

RASSIE

Post by RASSIE » Tue 24 Sep 2013, 08:52

Hi oom Johann ask Scorpionman if he got a Car test on your car.
Rassie.
http://www.rassiesauto.co.za/
“Cowboys do not ride donkeys”
“I will die driving a V8”

Social Media