Forum rules
When posting topics on the forum please make sure:
  • ● The posts are not political
  • ● The posts are not about religion
  • ● Please keep posts civil and don't be nasty to other members
Tony69

Re: SA Hotrods

Post by Tony69 » Fri 08 Apr 2011, 18:47

Some constructive critism here.. i hope.
I havent picked up the latest mag yet.. or the last few infact. So maybe its been adressed already, but here goes.

Id like to see the table of contents catergorized..... tech, featured cars etc. makes it easier to figure out whats going on in the mag without flipping through.

I realise the reason they probably haven't catergorised it yet, is because they only have two tech articles so it was a better idea to jumble it around. Nobody will complain about four or five tech articles. But I give them credit for trying, i know it cant be easy.

There's nothing wrong with the cars/bikes featured, there are usually five & thats enough. I like the garage scene section too. The rest is all good.

I would like to see more... budget bolt-ons, latest performance parts, tools etc. rather than RedBull in the 'must haves' section.
'How to build a low buck motor' .... 500hp motor' etc. with supplier details is always a hit.
Hot performance combo's.. available locally , that kinda stuff.

...but there's alot more to a car than body & motor, and SAHR should use this to thier advantage.

Unfortunately... our local mag does not compare to the likes of Carcraft , Hod Rod, Super Chevy, etc. but it definitely could & I'm sure it will some day.

barry

Post by barry » Fri 08 Apr 2011, 20:07

Nice comments - thanks Tony!

I am keen to hear why you haven't bought the mag - and what it would take for you to start doing so again!

The "little" things that add up are the things I'm interested in hearing more about.

Tech articles are the hardest work, and the ramifications of getting it wrong and misinformation are bigger.
Certainly something I'd like to see more of though, with more coherency from issue to issue. Series or similar subjects, or sequential aspects of various parts of a "build" for instance.
This does take a lot of planning, and must often be set up months in advance - not the way things have been running until now........
Hopefully that will change soon - everyone's input here is really valued, and some very valid points and ideas are being raised.

Thanks
Barry
just because you welded it - doesn't mean it's welded......

woblzdesign

Post by woblzdesign » Fri 08 Apr 2011, 22:03

i was involved with torque magazine doing articles and design on the last few issues before it went bust (i offered my services for free). anyway the content in the end came down to the editor, who in the end of the day can make or break a magazine.

i think the magazine scene in sa is abit of a jumble up, i think the smaller "make a quick buck magazines" are actually causing problems because they feature a wide variety of cars (to boost sales) and are not focused on a certain aspect of car culture. hopefully they either find a niche and focus on it or fall away.

SA hotrods needs to focus on the hotrods, muscle cars, custom bike...there is a need and the scene is growing. more informative articles, like famous hotrods, and hotrod builders, etc would be great.

This will take time as i know how costly it is to produce a magazine, and growing the magazine can only happen if people support it; if you dont have big advertisers and sponsors (look at speed and sound, and autostyle had alot to do with helping each other grow).

Due to the current restriction on LHD and importing of parts and stuff, there are a few players in the game as a result prices are very very high. there is no competition, companies dont have to advertise in local magazines. if there is no advertising then local magazines cannot exist.
daily drive: VW 1.4 9n3 polo
weekend drive: '72 ford capri v6

Tony69

Post by Tony69 » Fri 08 Apr 2011, 23:21

Barry...

I bought my copy of the first issue @ a Pakistani supermarket. I had never heard of or seen it before, and there it was on a shelf between the tin foods aisle & the rat poison. I couldn't believe my eyes! This was something I've always wanted in our country and here it is. I bought every issue that I've come across since, mostly as Spar. I look for it in every supermarket..... I just haven't seen it around anymore, except at CNA. Which is okay, I'll just have to remember the next time I'm in the mall. :oops:

At this stage, Barry, I'd buy it just to help it grow. I know the mag is pretty skinny but if we don't buy it now, it'll never get any healthier. :idea:

Tony69

Post by Tony69 » Fri 08 Apr 2011, 23:26

oh... and i've never been to the SAHR show... i think there should be atleast two shows in different cities at different times of the year. It's totally unfair for the Cape okies to hog all the action! More shows means more exposure for the mag.

An SAHR cruise night or breakfast run would be awesome too.

barry

Post by barry » Sat 09 Apr 2011, 04:49

Thanks Woblz & Tony

Well at this stage I don't know exactly what direction my involvement is going to take, but I do intend to continue to make the effort improve things further.
All the points raised are valid, some take more time & money to achieve.

Availability/distribution is part of the setup that I have no info on, but certainly seems to be coming up strongly.
The mag does seem to have pretty good sell through though, and that could account for it not always being too easy to find.....

Burnthosetyres

Post by Burnthosetyres » Sat 09 Apr 2011, 09:58

The question is.... is Joe open to constructive criticism? Is he open to change?
'A Camaro is a little animal that eats Mustangs!'

barry

Post by barry » Sat 09 Apr 2011, 14:26

I for one hope so, since I've been asked to get involved.
Sure hope I wouldn't be doing it for nothing....

barry

Post by barry » Wed 13 Apr 2011, 06:59

Just giving this a gentle bump if anyone has anything more to suggest....

Also I am looking for cars and other ideas (stories, roadtrips etc) to write about. Please PM or e-mail me rather than including replies on that in this thread

Thanks

Burnthosetyres

Post by Burnthosetyres » Wed 13 Apr 2011, 12:06

Barry, whats your e-mail address?

On a serious note, the model in your latest edition, Yolande Engelbrecht, is dinamite. My wife asked me if I bought the car for the cars, or her? Was difficult to answer!
'A Camaro is a little animal that eats Mustangs!'

Social Media