A Perana Road trip - or - Use your Classic!

Chat about anything that doenst fit in anywehere else
Forum rules
When posting topics on the forum please make sure:
  • ● The posts are not political
  • ● The posts are not about religion
  • ● Please keep posts civil and don't be nasty to other members
zahistorics

A Perana Road trip - or - Use your Classic!

Post by zahistorics » Fri 04 Apr 2008, 02:46

While I was in ZA I drove my Capri Perana replica accross the land. Here is a little photo diary of some of the stops along the way.

... well it would have been if the stupid thing hadn't discarded all of my attachments. I'll fix it up an repost it again tomorrow. Sorry about that!

Re: A Perana Road trip - or - Use your Classic!

Post by 302 » Fri 04 Apr 2008, 08:59

We wait in antici-PATION :D
Never too late for a V8

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Fri 04 Apr 2008, 16:12

Seeing as the image uploader got upset with lots of pictures, I'll do it in installments.

There is a part of my trip before I got to my Perana replica - done in a hire car. See: John's Road trip - Part 1

05 February: Flew to Cape Town - made very welcome by Lino, and finally got my hands on my favorite car again.

06 February: Went to meet Jacques, and went for a ride in a real Perana:
ZA Perana - zahistorics.jpg
07 Feb - 10 Feb Spent a few days at the Piper Races at Killarney:
1 Killarney.jpg
Jacques was there too:
John and Jacques.jpg
So were Henry, Craig and Theuns:
Henry, Craig and Theuns.jpg
I ended up helping out on Eddie Perk's Lehman. That's me standing in the car hanging on to the cam chain:
Eddie Perk's Lehman Twin Cam.jpg
We were two bays away from the grandfather of Perana Capris:
Z181.jpg

11 February: Had to resort to the bus while my car was at Speedy getting brakes sorted out and wheels balanced:
Golden Arrow.jpg
13 February: Went for a drive along the wondereful bends on Chapman's Peak Drive - but I left the camera at home. :cry:

14 February: Left Cape Town late (after a quick fix to a loose rocker) and got as far as Swellendam by the time it got dark. Went for supper, and after wondering why every other table had exactly two people it dawned on me that it was Velentine's Day:
2 Swellendam.jpg
15 February: Left Swellendam and headed for the coast.

All was good, nice quiet roads, until about 50 km outside Mosselbaai I lifted of the gas as I closed up behind a truck and there was one hell of a gear noise.

Oh shit! Put my foot down again. Noise went away. Lift off noise came back. Foot down - quiet. So I decided to try my luck to get to Mosselbaai. Crept along at around 70 km/h.

When I got there I parked up and had a look underneath. Oil pissing out of the diff at the front. Now what? I was standing there when a helpful Mr Liebenberg stopped. I asked him where I could find a garage. He recommended Fred.

At first Fred was reluctant to take yet another job on on a Friday afternoon, but he warmed up to the idea and had a look. The diff pinion nut had fallen off. But after stripping off the UJ he was able to clean up everything, refit the seal tighten up the nut with Locktite this time, topped up the oil and we were good to go.

Great bloke who really knew his stuff. I think Fred enjoyed his little test drive:
3 Diff Repair - Mosselbaai.jpg
Dove on. Stopped at Blouwkrans Bridge - the world's highest commercial bungee jumping spot.

To get and idea of the scale look at the size of the car on the bridge. Now look at the while markers on the rope way below the bridge on the rope on the right. That is is bounce zone!

Watched a few crazy people throw themselves into 200 metres of fresh air:
4 Blouwkrans Bridge.jpg
Carried on to Jeffries Bay where I stopped for the night.

Edited:Added more Cape Town stuff

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Fri 04 Apr 2008, 20:30

Was wondering when we would hear about this epic road trip.... :D One small thing though did he put LS oil in the diff because there is apparently a big differance.....
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Sat 05 Apr 2008, 16:55

I've edited the first bit - added a few more pictures and a bit more text.

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Sat 05 Apr 2008, 17:21

Must say the two Capris looks great parked close together.....
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Sun 06 Apr 2008, 18:42

Jacques, yes that was a good pic. I was also amused when your dad came back from work and he said he wondered what your car was doing parked on the road.

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Sun 06 Apr 2008, 18:51

16 February: When I left the next morning, from the B&B just outside Jeffries Bay , I found that they had modified the road a bit just after dawn:
6 Roadworks near Jeffrys Bay.jpg
Scary when you see a big yellow machine chasing you down while you are trying dodge rocks and not to put a hole in the far too low sump:
5 Roadworks near Jeffrys Bay.jpg
Later in the day at Knysna I found a young man called Shaun who Jannie van Aswegen had told me about. Shaun didn't believe it when his manager told him there was another Perana driving up and down the main road. Nice bloke - he drives his Perana every day, and will slowly restore it back to standard:
7 Knysna Perana.jpg

Gunter

Post by Gunter » Sun 06 Apr 2008, 19:02

Shaun must be the guy who works at the Speedy exhaust in Knysna? , saw his car last year when he just got it...strangely enough i have just arrived in Knysna for a few days break...as i drove in, i was wondering if that guy still has his Perana.
RACECAR spelt backwards spells RACECAR.....

zahistorics

Post by zahistorics » Sun 06 Apr 2008, 19:16

Gunter: Ja that's the guy. His first mission is to get the front of the car sorted out from where it was so badly repaired. Other than that, the taillights and the overdrive gearbox the rest of the car is all there, correct and original. It will make a very nice car when done.

Social Media