Forum rules
When posting topics on the forum please make sure:
  • ● The posts are not political
  • ● The posts are not about religion
  • ● Please keep posts civil and don't be nasty to other members
ZA Perana

Warning

Post by ZA Perana » Sun 04 Nov 2018, 20:39

I debated a fair amount about posting this on the forum but decided to.

Two weeks ago I got a call from my dad, someone had phoned and asked if we wanted to sell the Capri. A broker acting on behalf a gentleman in the UK and said broker had obtained our telephone number/address from a contact said broker has in the traffic department which is ILLEGAL. I repeat ILLEGAL.

I phoned said broker, mentioned I would be taking further action should we ever be contacted again. I am sorry but how did anyone think its ok to do the below, when challenged he apologised profusely and the conversation was ended amicably.

1: obtain information illegally
2: have the gall to cold call someone.

I'd like to advise the gentleman in the UK that this IS NOT the way to try buy cars in the UK and also that in SA, the distribution of personal information without the users consent is illegal.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

peranaman

Re: Warning

Post by peranaman » Sun 04 Nov 2018, 22:45

I read this three times and still not clear.

Which country is car in?

Which Traffic Dept? UK or ZA?

Broker based in?

Prospective buyer based in?

You're right to warn folk.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do

hitlers revenge

Post by hitlers revenge » Mon 05 Nov 2018, 19:18

I posted a story a while back when somebody contacted me about my Ford. They got all my information from the Krugersdorp traffic department.

peranaman

Post by peranaman » Mon 05 Nov 2018, 19:30

Corruption?

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Mon 05 Nov 2018, 21:05

peranaman wrote:
Sun 04 Nov 2018, 22:45
I read this three times and still not clear.

Which country is car in?

Which Traffic Dept? UK or ZA?

Broker based in?

Prospective buyer based in?

You're right to warn folk.

I am based in SA. The broker is based in SA and as per the broker the buyer is based in the UK. The broker was very upfront in terms of disclosing the buyers name to me and actually was happy to put me in contact with the buyer directly.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

peranaman

Post by peranaman » Mon 05 Nov 2018, 21:11

OK. Clearer now. Something still isn't right with this occurrence.

johan wepener

Post by johan wepener » Sun 11 Nov 2018, 17:15

peranaman wrote:
Mon 05 Nov 2018, 21:11

What is not right with this occurrence is the fact that people have access to private information stored in traffic authorities'

records. Given the level of corruption in South Africa this occurrence should not come as a surprise.

Should this occurrence happened to me, as it has happened to Jacques, the conversation will not, as in the case with

Jacques, ended amicably. The broker knew his information has been obtained illegally, why be nice to him ?

Johan
JOHAN WEPENER

IF YOU WISH TO DRAW AN INFERENCE IT HAS TO BE CONSISTENT WITH ALL THE PROVEN FACTS.IF NOT, THE INFERENCE CANNOT BE DRAWN

peranaman

Post by peranaman » Sun 11 Nov 2018, 17:21

Agreed 100%
johan wepener wrote:
peranaman wrote:

What is not right with this occurrence is the fact that people have access to private information stored in traffic authorities'

records. Given the level of corruption in South Africa this occurrence should not come as a surprise.

Should this occurrence happened to me, as it has happened to Jacques, the conversation will not, as in the case with

Jacques, ended amicably. The broker knew his information has been obtained illegally, why be nice to him ?

Johan

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Mon 12 Nov 2018, 07:49

johan wepener wrote:
Sun 11 Nov 2018, 17:15
peranaman wrote:

Johan
As soon as said broker realised he was dealing with someone fairly angry he apologized profusely and at the end of the day I have various battles to fight each day this one would have taken time I simply don't have a lot of at the moment. I may investigate this further but the issue when third parties have ones personal information there are a fair number of risks involved and taking action does not completely remove those risks irrespective of the course of action taken.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8

WCC

Post by WCC » Mon 12 Nov 2018, 21:12

Personal information is a hot commodity these days. Of course, we assume that the Government is taking their custodial duty to protect this information serious, but alas. What most do not know is that privileged access is just one issue, but the lack of skills and ability to protect it is a different situation entireley. I think it is safe to assume that your personal information is currently quite freely available on the internet.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.za/2017/1 ... _23248618/

Social Media