When posting topics on the forum please make sure:
  • ● The posts are not political
  • ● The posts are not about religion
  • ● Please keep posts civil and don't be nasty to other members
Peranamac

Late 70s/early 80s Mazda 323 Turbo

Post by Peranamac » Tue 23 Oct 2018, 17:50

Hi all,

Apologies, as this topic is not really muscle related, but hoping that some of the forum members may be able to assist.

As a kid I used to go with my dad to visit a friend who probably kept ALL his old CAR magazines, so I would sit in his garage and read them the whole day. I still distinctly remember an article from circa '81 to '83 about a Mazda 323 Turbo with full body kit that, I seem to think, was built in SA.
This was the round shape 323 from the 70s up to early 80s. I remember the article showing a red 323 and it looked pretty impressive for a little 323 and it always stuck with me over the past 30 odd years. Does anyone on the forum remember this or have perhaps seen the article? I'm quite interested to find out if these were actually sold in SA and if so, if any of them survived.

I've also slowly started restoring my '84 Renault 5 Soleil cabriolet and would like to find out if any of the forum members have more detail around these SA customised R5s. If memory serves, I think there was a place in PE and in Cape Town that were making these. I'd appreciate any info or if someone can point me in the right direction to another forum or group that may have more info. I believe these also featured in the CAR magazine in the early 80's.

As regards the Granada Perana sedan, I've been putting off work on this with the usual excuses of marriage; house renovations and baby on the way, but I've purchased a Peugeot RCZ recently, so I can at least have a bit of fun until I finally get the Granada sorted out - I've got a few questions regarding part sourcing round the CT area, but I'll get to that in a new topic.

Greetings from a blistering hot Cape Town!

werner

Re: Late 70s/early 80s Mazda 323 Turbo

Post by werner » Tue 23 Oct 2018, 20:31

One do not see that RCZ very often, but I travelled behind one in Frans Conradie this morning. Had a good look at the car and stood next to it at the T junction where it turned left and I went right. Very nice car

Peranamac

Post by Peranamac » Tue 23 Oct 2018, 22:03

Thanks Werner!

I've always loved the lines of the RCZ - like an artwork. Dis soos kuns! :lol:
She drives as good as she looks, but I still miss rear wheel drive muscle.....Can't wait to get working on the Granada!

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Tue 23 Oct 2018, 22:06

I remember the 323 article, was published around 1980 I think.

Not sure how many were made though, suspect finding one today would be tough as seeing a standard rwd 323 is a far from common.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

Social Media