• ● The posts are not political
  • ● The posts are not about religion
  • ● Please keep posts civil and don't be nasty to other members
twincam nc

Re: SAPPHIRE V8

Post by twincam nc » Tue 16 Jan 2018, 14:11

ZA Perana wrote:
Tue 16 Jan 2018, 14:09
I am 99% certain with those wheels its a Novel Ford car, for me the most sought after of the V8 Sapphire conversions.
i can believe so cause he had plenty of people interested in the car.
Do you perhaps know any spec's on this car or how many was made back then

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Tue 16 Jan 2018, 14:16

twincam nc wrote:
Tue 16 Jan 2018, 14:11
ZA Perana wrote:
I am 99% certain with those wheels its a Novel Ford car, for me the most sought after of the V8 Sapphire conversions.
If you don't have to sell then don't sell.

Specs are 160 kw and 384 nm of torque, 0-100 in the 7 second range and 233 km/h top speed.

Many of these were killed on drag strips around the country so very few survive in unmolested condition.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

jlebenon

Post by jlebenon » Tue 16 Jan 2018, 14:20

Ya I agree , with the different bumper and those wheels it's most likely the real deal ... Put it together properly and keep it , If you need advice I know forum members who owned those exact cars
2006 lumina ute
1973 El camino 353ci

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Tue 16 Jan 2018, 14:22

Thinking about it I think these motors were converted from Marine spec which might explain the raised compression/different pistons
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

twincam nc

Post by twincam nc » Tue 16 Jan 2018, 14:32

jlebenon wrote:
Tue 16 Jan 2018, 14:20
Ya I agree , with the different bumper and those wheels it's most likely the real deal ... Put it together properly and keep it , If you need advice I know forum members who owned those exact cars
Would appreciate it once i have the car with me ill give a shout for help.
I wont sell it as it was my dad's pride.

twincam nc

Post by twincam nc » Tue 16 Jan 2018, 14:33

ZA Perana wrote:
Tue 16 Jan 2018, 14:16
twincam nc wrote:
Tue 16 Jan 2018, 14:11
ZA Perana wrote:
If you don't have to sell then don't sell.

Specs are 160 kw and 384 nm of torque, 0-100 in the 7 second range and 233 km/h top speed.

Many of these were killed on drag strips around the country so very few survive in unmolested condition.
will never sell it ill keep it ill just fit a cosworth bumper thats all

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Tue 16 Jan 2018, 14:37

twincam nc wrote:
Tue 16 Jan 2018, 14:32
jlebenon wrote:
Tue 16 Jan 2018, 14:20
Would appreciate it once i have the car with me ill give a shout for help.
I wont sell it as it was my dad's pride.
Very good decision. Honestly, if there are perhaps 10 left in good condition I would be surprised.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8

IndianaJones

Post by IndianaJones » Wed 17 Jan 2018, 19:09

That is a very cool car, I actually prefer them to the Sierra XR8.

There were a few garages/dealers that did V8 conversions on Sierra's and Sapphire's during their heyday.
The Novel Ford (Paarl) conversions were the most numerous in the Cape provinces.

I'm still not certain of assumption that marine spec engines were bought to do these conversions with, there might be a possibility that with decoding engine and block casting numbers, one could more clearly define the origins of the engines used by the dealerships to do these conversions.

I saw your thread requesting a Cosworth bumper. I'm not so sure the Novel cars were fitted with them, I think perhaps only the Geoff Mortimer/Basil Green Ford 2.0L Turbo Cosworth converted cars, used those bumpers, but not sure.
A while ago I posted about a burgundy Novel Ford Sapphire that was for sale in Namibia, compare the bumper on that car, as I think that one might have been a very original example.
https://www.africanmusclecars.com/forum ... 43&t=23471
If there is a member here that have a collection of CAR magazines and want to share, they road tested a Novel Ford Sapphire in the September 1991 issue.

You should also contact member "Gavin RS", I think he is quite a good source of info on these dealer converted V8 Sapphires.

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Wed 17 Jan 2018, 19:45

IndianaJones wrote:
Wed 17 Jan 2018, 19:09
That is a very cool car, I actually prefer them to the Sierra XR8.

There were a few garages/dealers that did V8 conversions on Sierra's and Sapphire's during their heyday.
The Novel Ford (Paarl) conversions were the most numerous in the Cape provinces.

I'm still not certain of assumption that marine spec engines were bought to do these conversions with, there might be a possibility that with decoding engine and block casting numbers, one could more clearly define the origins of the engines used by the dealerships to do these conversions.

I saw your thread requesting a Cosworth bumper. I'm not so sure the Novel cars were fitted with them, I think perhaps only the Geoff Mortimer/Basil Green Ford 2.0L Turbo Cosworth converted cars, used those bumpers, but not sure.
A while ago I posted about a burgundy Novel Ford Sapphire that was for sale in Namibia, compare the bumper on that car, as I think that one might have been a very original example.
https://www.africanmusclecars.com/forum ... 43&t=23471
If there is a member here that have a collection of CAR magazines and want to share, they road tested a Novel Ford Sapphire in the September 1991 issue.

You should also contact member "Gavin RS", I think he is quite a good source of info on these dealer converted V8 Sapphires.
The Novel cars were sold with the full Cosworth body kit which is what makes them to me the most sort after of all the Sapphire V8 conversions, I will try find the CAR magazine road test.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8

jlebenon

Post by jlebenon » Wed 17 Jan 2018, 19:57

Maverick had a Novel 5.0 I'll get pics
2006 lumina ute
1973 El camino 353ci

Social Media