When posting topics on the forum please make sure:
  • ● The posts are not political
  • ● The posts are not about religion
  • ● Please keep posts civil and don't be nasty to other members
Moering Tool

Warped front disks within 50K?

Post by Moering Tool » Wed 12 Jul 2017, 14:31

Hoezit hoezit,

I wanted to get everyone's opinion before I make a stink with the manufacturer.

My 2015 model-year car, which I bought from new, has developed a shudder when braking. Now, this is either pad binding or warped disk(s). The car is still under warranty, as well as under its factory service plan. I have done 51K km on it, although the symptoms appeared a few months ago (and just after its 45K service).

The pads still had 70% of their material left at the last service (as evidenced by the dealer's service and inspection report), and running a fingernail across the disk edge reveals the barest of ridges - you can't see it with your eye, you can only feel it with a fingernail and it is very slight.

I baby my car and don't jaag or gaan aan with it at all - it's something that I take pride in.

Now, what I'd like to know, is this in any way normal? I had a chat with my dealer principal and he stated that the disks are a wear and tear item and would not be covered under warranty. So, now, am I to believe that my brand new car will need new disks and pads (at all of R4000 at dealer prices, excluding labour) every two and a half years if this is "normal wear and tear".

BULLSHIT I say. None of my previous cars ever suffered this, and I had been a lot harder on them than this one.

Whaddaya think? Did I just get unlucky with a cold puddle or something?

ZA Perana

Re: Warped front disks within 50K?

Post by ZA Perana » Wed 12 Jul 2017, 14:45

I think the dealer drove the car, after a service and it was washed with hot discs which lead to the warping.

Arguing with dealers about brakes is like to be a tiresome process though, which car is this?
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

Moering Tool

Post by Moering Tool » Wed 12 Jul 2017, 15:26

I'd prefer not to say, my aim is not to cause kak for the brand because I have an axe to grind.

The odo had been exactly the same when I collected the car (I remember because it's something I'm obsessed about and warn the dealership about whenever I take my car for its service). That being said, it's possible that they removed the pads or did some disassembly to check the pad thickness and effed it up on reassembly.

Wiithout stripping it down myself and sticking a dial indicator on the disk etc it's hard to say.

Scorpionman

Post by Scorpionman » Wed 12 Jul 2017, 15:47

I changed my front disks on my car a while ago. A vibration was noticed. Took the disks of and noticed that the mating surface on the hub wasnt clean and smooth. Slightest rust can make the disk fit not flush. Cleand both surfaces and refitted disks with new pads. Problem gone.
1961 Alfa Giulietta Sprint
1971 Fiat 124 BC Coupe
1975 Fiat 132 GLS

IndianaJones

Post by IndianaJones » Wed 12 Jul 2017, 19:34

You wouldn't be the first person to complain about warped discs on a relatively new vehicle.

Discs and pads are a wear and tear item and usually not covered under warranty, but are included in the maintenance plan.

Moering Tool

Post by Moering Tool » Wed 12 Jul 2017, 19:59

Alas, I only got a service plan with the car and not a maintenance plan. I can't remember if I was offered an upgrade but if I had been, I'd be regretting it now :)

Anyway, the checking for gunge on the mating surfaces is a good idea and I'll tackle it this weekend - not too hard a job.

LeonWilmans

Post by LeonWilmans » Wed 12 Jul 2017, 20:21

Hi. I know some waranty will change the disks n pads before 20k svs. Anything after is your baby.

But why not just have them skimed

Fraction of the cost. N if u still got enouh of the pad left then just re bed them.

Good luck bud.

Leon

RASSIE

Post by RASSIE » Thu 13 Jul 2017, 11:12

Sorry but to me a new car is not a car but plastic and it cost plenty. Never you will see it on a Real car, Merc or BMW or even a GT or F100.
Sorry just could not help to say what I feel. :lol:
Rassie.
Attachments
31012010(034).jpg
31012010(034).jpg (124.49 KiB) Viewed 4890 times
http://www.rassiesauto.co.za/
“Cowboys do not ride donkeys”
“I will die driving a V8”

kavesh

Post by kavesh » Thu 13 Jul 2017, 13:54

I recall owning a new 2006 Toyota Camry with service plan. I cannot be certain of the mileage when it developed a shudder on brake application. Dealer skimmed the disks but that created another problem with the brakes. Apparently those disks should not have been skimmed. They eventually replaced them free of charge. Maybe it was still in the first year.

Good luck.

modpaul

Post by modpaul » Mon 14 Aug 2017, 12:25

50k only? Sounds a bit dodgy. I would consider getting aftermarket discs.

Social Media