Forum sterf/ or what is it ,cold and rain?

Chat about anything that doenst fit in anywehere else
Forum rules
When posting topics on the forum please make sure:
  • ● The posts are not political
  • ● The posts are not about religion
  • ● Please keep posts civil and don't be nasty to other members
Johann66

Re: Forum sterf/ or what is it ,cold and rain?

Post by Johann66 » Wed 17 May 2017, 21:55

I think you all have touched the right nerve! I think that is why the Facebook forum had its beginning!
This forum could consist of three sections. Muscle cars, Classic cars and Custom cars.
This should enable better access!

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Wed 17 May 2017, 22:08

I think the issue is not so much one of the platform or the software used but a general decline in forums as a medium of communication. In a world of whatsapp groups virtually every forum I am involved with in SA has shrunk in numbers.

Added to this the muscle car world isn't what it once was, back in the day one could actually afford a muscle car, younger guys were getting involved, now the scene is very different.

Having said that the mods and admins are always interested in new ideas.

By the way Rassie I have been around here quite a bit lately...
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Wed 17 May 2017, 22:13

Shaughn wrote:PHPbb the forum concept and the actual software being used, is a old boring format, running the default silver light theme also shows little interest, the site as well is dated.

There is No social interaction or even integration with social networks to help grow the community or to work to get a younger market involved.
If the site also does not have mods and admins who are active, beyond just sharing links of parts for sale on other websites or talking about NON muscle car related topics etc, then it will die daily.

I have offered to assist with redesigns and modernization, even host the thing free of charge on my servers, but to be brutally honest the site and forum appear to be an after thought and not given the time or updates to bring it to the next generation.

Within 30 days you could literally double user interactions in encourage new people, it really is super easy.
I myself find it hard to continue to come back here, it is not user friendly, not easy to share or spread and the tapatalk is rubbish, etc etc I have tried to be active, but if it was 2003 or 2004 then this type of digital approach would work, 2017 a lot more effort is needed.

I still do pop in now and then, and its just my opinion, no disrespect meant as i know a lot of work still went into what is here. :D
With due respect. I don't think any car related forum in SA is doubling user interactions in 30 days and I don't think its super easy at get new people, witness the facebook aspect of this site has hardly grown at all.

The problem as I say is whatsapp and to a lesser extent instagram have caused a dilution of content across too many platforms of late.

In my opinion this forum needs more content to grow.

What I do think would work is having someone more involved on directing facebook traffic here.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Wed 17 May 2017, 22:16

Shaughn wrote:When i say i am willing to help i mean it.

Free hosting and monthly traffic.
I can assist with the Facebook page, Group integration and user O-Auth sign ups via an app.
Instagram account integration, posting and user O-Auth sign ups via an app.
YouTube channel build, integration with user O-Auth sign ups via an app.
Redesign of the forums look, layout and feel to be 100% responsive in design, and 100% mobile & tablet friendly.
Ios and Android friendly.
A phone APP.
Integration for a classifieds system for users to by sell and trade parts (like OLX).
Implement proper spam and DDos attack security measure.
Proper user profiles, user badges & content rewards for participation etc.
Weekly content updates, user picture and video submission forms, user build submissions, etc
Resources and links
I can even arrange weekly Drag filming and uploading and car show filming and coverage. sky is the limit and i have the time :)

We can make it a great community, we just need to have it modernized, what i lack in car knowledge i have in web skills and social media marketing :D
The bold are both great idea but early on it was decided this forum would not become a trading post because early in its life such trading created difficulties and unwanted politics.

Instagram is good idea in theory but again how do we avoid dilution of content?
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8

Shaughn

Post by Shaughn » Wed 17 May 2017, 22:25

We can agree to disagree then. I have yet to see a SA car site or forum that is not an utter disaster in the code, piss poor web and social integration.
Even the biggest racing forum in SA is a joke, 6 months still no logins or replies from admins.

You can type content until the cows come home, send a million users a day from face book to your site and forum, but if its a shitty forum, badly designed and not what people expect, you will get ZERO retention and you will just get spam and BOTs, which is what at least 50% of the traffic is on here.

Also if you know how to work FACEBOOK, Instagram, and the others they can more than double your users in 30 days, bu you first have to repair the end product or you wont see the results.

Shaughn

Post by Shaughn » Wed 17 May 2017, 22:29

ZA Perana wrote:
Shaughn wrote:When i say i am willing to help i mean it.

Free hosting and monthly traffic.
I can assist with the Facebook page, Group integration and user O-Auth sign ups via an app.
Instagram account integration, posting and user O-Auth sign ups via an app.
YouTube channel build, integration with user O-Auth sign ups via an app.
Redesign of the forums look, layout and feel to be 100% responsive in design, and 100% mobile & tablet friendly.
Ios and Android friendly.
A phone APP.
Integration for a classifieds system for users to by sell and trade parts (like OLX).
Implement proper spam and DDos attack security measure.
Proper user profiles, user badges & content rewards for participation etc.
Weekly content updates, user picture and video submission forms, user build submissions, etc
Resources and links
I can even arrange weekly Drag filming and uploading and car show filming and coverage. sky is the limit and i have the time :)

We can make it a great community, we just need to have it modernized, what i lack in car knowledge i have in web skills and social media marketing :D
The bold are both great idea but early on it was decided this forum would not become a trading post because early in its life such trading created difficulties and unwanted politics.

Instagram is good idea in theory but again how do we avoid dilution of content?
Content is not diluted when it is integrated ? Currently there is little content, social integration will encourage and create content.
The way in which it is being looked at is as if it will take away people, it has 100% the opposite approach, with social integration you gain people.

Facebook owns Instagram, Whatsapp and many other apps, so they all link and integrated 100% in order to drive real people to what you want, if you know how to use the system.

Some peope post what they eat on facebook, some people use it as a business tool and know what it can do

Shaughn

Post by Shaughn » Wed 17 May 2017, 22:32

Also most car sites are built and run by people who know how to build cars. :)

Shaughn

Post by Shaughn » Wed 17 May 2017, 22:35

Bypassing trading difficulties is not that hard, it can be done with the right website software and time. RULES make these things work and being strict :)

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Wed 17 May 2017, 22:38

Shaughn wrote:Bypassing trading difficulties is not that hard, it can be done with the right website software and time. RULES make these things work and being strict :)
With respect those of us who have been around a long time have been there and done that. In my opinion that aspect of the forum for the most part works very well.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Wed 17 May 2017, 22:39

Shaughn wrote:Also most car sites are built and run by people who know how to build cars. :)
Never found this to be the case personally.
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8

Social Media