Forum sterf/ or what is it ,cold and rain?

Chat about anything that doenst fit in anywehere else
Forum rules
When posting topics on the forum please make sure:
  • ● The posts are not political
  • ● The posts are not about religion
  • ● Please keep posts civil and don't be nasty to other members
Post Reply
User avatar
Dragonkarr
Posts: 1548
Joined: Wed 28 Dec 2011, 13:12
Location: Middelburg

Re: Forum sterf/ or what is it ,cold and rain?

Post by Dragonkarr » Sat 20 May 2017, 16:57

Shoo-ee, what a lot of reading for a Saturday afternoon :lol:

Yes. Facebook and Whatsapp groups DO impact forum activity... The HWCZA forum is dying due to Whatsapp groups making 'instant' sharing and chatting possible. That said, there is a new trend in the (small) car collecting scene as of late, that parallels with what someone posted about the muscle car scene. Things are getting expensive (and this is driven MAINLY by greed, of non-passionates trying to fleece the true enthusiasts), old stalwarts are disappearing, losing interest due to this.

I'm one of the members who used to post a lot more :oops: lack of time & finances play a big role. I really should get back on it.
No, I don't own a muscle car (yet), but I do own a scruffy '79 Mk2 Escort 1.6GL FourDoor. Not the 'coolest' car at the shows, but he's attracted a few good friends and chats nonetheless. I always enjoyed the input from more knowledgeable members on here, and there's actually not that much politics (or at least, there wasn't :?: )

What I love about a forum vs Whatsapp or Facebook, especially the latter, is that it's easier to find older content if you need to look back for anything. It's always there, whereas on the other platforms a post quickly gets lost in the crowd.

I hope my essay makes sense :lol:

(PS, a little redesign might be a good thing, just don't go be like Microsoft and change EVERYTHING :lol: )
Smile and wave, boys; just smile and wave...

1979 Ford Escort Mk2 1.6 GL (Running Project - As in I keep running into surprises)
1981 Suzuki GS1000G (Standing Project - As in I'm standing there, wondering, what the previous oke was thinking)

User avatar
302ci
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun 06 Nov 2016, 10:34
Location: Western Cape

Re: Forum sterf/ or what is it ,cold and rain?

Post by 302ci » Sat 20 May 2017, 17:22

Dragonkarr wrote:...That said, there is a new trend in the (small) car collecting scene as of late, that parallels with what someone posted about the muscle car scene. Things are getting expensive (and this is driven MAINLY by greed, of non-passionates trying to fleece the true enthusiasts), old stalwarts are disappearing, losing interest due to this...
Spot-on !

brennan67
Posts: 328
Joined: Fri 18 Jul 2014, 23:43

Re: Forum sterf/ or what is it ,cold and rain?

Post by brennan67 » Sat 20 May 2017, 18:14

Hi All

Dont mind me whilst I call a spade a spade..... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

THIS FORUM IS POOR... ITS DYING... IT NEEDS HELP. I WOULD LISTEN TO WHAT SHAUNGN HAS TO SAY AS HE MAKES SENSE.

I find it strangely odd that he is offering to help and yet "certain people" and comments made on this post are protecting the as is status quo ? If you keep on defending the problems and having a go at Shaungn I suspect he is going to throw in the towel and retract his help which this forum so badly needs !

I check into this forum once a week these days, I scan the new posts and I am basically bored with the content. Its dying around here, this forum needs a adrenaline shot and a good wake up.

We need new members and the older members need content to keep us interested and coming back, because we want to... but its just so boring around here. Its 2017 forums have moved on..

A SIMPLE thing like being able to post YOUTUBE videos in your posts are NOT possible. I have asked this question as to why I cant post videos here and if it can be addressed and it its still not possible. Thats CONTENT after all and a discussion point. Adding photos is a pain and I dread loading photos on this forum, size cap of 300 KB ???

I have a build post on my project I am doing, I feel like I am talking to myself most of the time, comments if any are "good work" etc but I am not looking for a pat on the back or recognition, I post my build to help in my little own way to contribute to the forum and hopefully get some feedback and ideas on what I could do better, but to be honest I dont get anything back and my "build post" has turned into a time stamp of my progress for myself perhaps only and thats about it. I wonder why I post there as its a ghost town for content providers and I think I do a good job of posting detail of what I am doing, what products I am using and try and keep it technical for those that are interested in restoring a car from the ground up, metal work, primers, paints etc.

So i dont really contribute much these days as posts revolve around, people looking for stuff, things for sale and the only time a post gets any real action when people are debating about the price of cars and the crazy SA market. Its tired...

It was mentioned that the forum is on the down because of the economy, how does that make sense? Its not like it costs money to talk about cars, talk is free.. Sure it may keep new people into the hobby from starting a project or buying a car but those of us that are passionate about it and are in it dont come here and comment or add content because we not motivated to do so. I personally participate in other forms in the USA because I have something to learn there and they have interesting content which keeps me coming back to those forums. Cant say I am getting that around here.

Sorry I think certain people need to swallow their pride and LISTEN to what Shannon is having to say, because the vibe I am reading is they dont want to be listening to his wise words. Embrace and learn from those that know more and are specialised in their fields.

User avatar
werner
Posts: 461
Joined: Tue 24 Sep 2013, 23:35
Location: Cape Town

Re: Forum sterf/ or what is it ,cold and rain?

Post by werner » Sat 20 May 2017, 18:48

Brennan, I think posting a pic is one of the big hassels. On newer forums one do not need to resize, you just post and it is resized by the server and it fits the screen. Some pics is on size with the limit, but one needs to move your screen sideways and up and down to view it. Thereby the time it takes and new members battling, not worth the while.

User avatar
werner
Posts: 461
Joined: Tue 24 Sep 2013, 23:35
Location: Cape Town

Re: Forum sterf/ or what is it ,cold and rain?

Post by werner » Sat 20 May 2017, 18:49

O ja, Bly om jou terug te sien Drakie.

brennan67
Posts: 328
Joined: Fri 18 Jul 2014, 23:43

Re: Forum sterf/ or what is it ,cold and rain?

Post by brennan67 » Sat 20 May 2017, 19:00

werner wrote:Brennan, I think posting a pic is one of the big hassels. On newer forums one do not need to resize, you just post and it is resized by the server and it fits the screen. Some pics is on size with the limit, but one needs to move your screen sideways and up and down to view it. Thereby the time it takes and new members battling, not worth the while.
Agreed, we live in a content rich world, loading images on FB, Instagram is easy. Now I must come here and resize all my images before I load them up, thats a very basic reason why content is poor and lacking here. I would love to take videos of things load them into youtube (easy process which I can share that link across multiple platforms) of what I am doing, help I need, ideas for others or just interesting references that the forum would appreciate, but I cant.

Then to view images as you say you have to scroll across the screen left and right up and down.. yawn..

User avatar
Dragonkarr
Posts: 1548
Joined: Wed 28 Dec 2011, 13:12
Location: Middelburg

Re: Forum sterf/ or what is it ,cold and rain?

Post by Dragonkarr » Sat 20 May 2017, 19:01

werner wrote:Brennan, I think posting a pic is one of the big hassels. On newer forums one do not need to resize, you just post and it is resized by the server and it fits the screen. Some pics is on size with the limit, but one needs to move your screen sideways and up and down to view it. Thereby the time it takes and new members battling, not worth the while.
Ah yes. The resizing. I almost forgot about this! It is a hassle yes, and posting videos would be nice...

The forum does need a refresher, as I'd said... Just don't go overboard, keep it simple enough for anyone to use :)
werner wrote:O ja, Bly om jou terug te sien Drakie.
:lol: Elo! "Ghosting"
8)
Smile and wave, boys; just smile and wave...

1979 Ford Escort Mk2 1.6 GL (Running Project - As in I keep running into surprises)
1981 Suzuki GS1000G (Standing Project - As in I'm standing there, wondering, what the previous oke was thinking)

brennan67
Posts: 328
Joined: Fri 18 Jul 2014, 23:43

Re: Forum sterf/ or what is it ,cold and rain?

Post by brennan67 » Sat 20 May 2017, 19:25

Someone said that the Facebook AMC group is a hidden group or a "private club" I am part of that FB group. If it is a private group how does that FB group drive new traffic to the forum ?

Just a point... See my signature on the forum, I am trying to promote people on the forum to follow my FB post and on my FB post of my album I am saying to my FB friends if you want to see more join the forum...

Guys I am not against you I am with you but we need to keep up with the times because we all want a local place to chat about local cars.

Bearhawke
Posts: 2698
Joined: Thu 25 Dec 2008, 20:38
Location: Bullhead City, Arizona USA

Re: Forum sterf/ or what is it ,cold and rain?

Post by Bearhawke » Sat 20 May 2017, 20:19

One huge factor involving AMC Forum (website) participation is that so many of us are now on Facebook.
Bearhawke in Az, USA

1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager minivan.

User avatar
Johann66
Posts: 247
Joined: Fri 14 Apr 2017, 13:21

Re: Forum sterf/ or what is it ,cold and rain?

Post by Johann66 » Sat 20 May 2017, 22:55

werner wrote:Brennan, I think posting a pic is one of the big hassels. On newer forums one do not need to resize, you just post and it is resized by the server and it fits the screen. Some pics is on size with the limit, but one needs to move your screen sideways and up and down to view it. Thereby the time it takes and new members battling, not worth the while.
Agree! :D Another fact is that people from that era are growing old/ Passing away 8O I am turning 74 and might be starting a new project! Details will be given at a later stage. We need a younger generation that unfortunately we have not prepared! My own two sons are not interested! I know of several backyard restorers in my area that do not participate in internet activities. Reason? COST! The people that do have the financial ability, do their thing for themselves and do not share! I know several! That is why only one person is aware of my project in making! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post Reply

Social Media

     

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests