When posting topics on the forum please make sure:
  • ● The posts are not political
  • ● The posts are not about religion
  • ● Please keep posts civil and don't be nasty to other members
Loukie

From LRP to Unleaded.

Post by Loukie » Thu 20 Aug 2015, 19:39

hi everyone!
Struggling to find LRP petrol in Bloem and thinking of using Unleaded in the Ranchero (standard 351) . I will be using Wynns valve guard. Do I have to change the timing? Read the previous posts without a conclusion.Are there any problems and will performance be affected? On my student budget I hope someone has an alternative for petrol :lol: :roll: . Will need to start asking a fee to take girls on dates haha :mrgreen: 8)
Ranchero'73
Pontiac Strato Chief 1961
Ford Fairmont GT 1971
It's all about the sound of a V8...

Johann Grobler

Re: From LRP to Unleaded.

Post by Johann Grobler » Thu 20 Aug 2015, 20:00

Spoke to Hennie Lubbe of Lubbe Engineering who only repairs engines 8O He does not use LRP and states that Unleaded petrol is fine!! :mrgreen:
I used unleaded on the 305 Z28 Camaro engine, no problems! :D I have changed over to unleaded on the 153 McKinnon engine and it is running well! :) Starting to run better and will keep an eye on the engine of the Rekord! :mrgreen: Valve guard appears to let the engine become sluggish? ;) My imagination? :roll:

kavesh

Post by kavesh » Thu 20 Aug 2015, 20:46

Johann. What about the valve seats on engines not prepared for unleaded fuel.

How does one protect the the engine short of inserting hardened valve seats.

jlebenon

Post by jlebenon » Thu 20 Aug 2015, 20:56

It won't happen overnight but unleaded will eat that exhaust valve seat if you have a heavy foot .... That said we've got an elcamino we put whatever is in the jerry can and it's fine ,this after years of driving ....
2006 lumina ute
1973 El camino 353ci

Johann Grobler

Post by Johann Grobler » Thu 20 Aug 2015, 21:38

jlebenon wrote:It won't happen overnight but unleaded will eat that exhaust valve seat if you have a heavy foot .... That said we've got an elcamino we put whatever is in the jerry can and it's fine ,this after years of driving ....
This concur's with Hennie's statement! The el Camino if a L6, is built by McKinnon hard as nails!! :mrgreen: So Kavesh, it's up to you! ;)

FPT

Post by FPT » Fri 21 Aug 2015, 07:57

Loukie

Shell at Pick&Pay in Benade drive still has LRP.

I too am afraid of putting Unleaded in my older cars, still there are no real conclusion on what will happen to valve seats...
Greetings
André

There is no Replacement for Displacement!!!

wes351

Post by wes351 » Fri 21 Aug 2015, 08:15

The Caltex in Langenhovenpark still has an LRP pump, the one at the tyre shop...
Although i have filled up with unleaded in the F250, also with a Cleveland, never had any problems...

Scorpionman

Post by Scorpionman » Fri 21 Aug 2015, 08:25

Shell garage in Generaal de Wet het LRP. Gebruik LRP sover ek kan met ou karre.
1961 Alfa Giulietta Sprint
1971 Fiat 124 BC Coupe
1975 Fiat 132 GLS

383CUDA

Post by 383CUDA » Fri 21 Aug 2015, 08:53

I'm also a bit hesitant to use Unleaded, been using LRP with some valve guard in the 318 Cuda, I have a VERY heavy foot, easily killing a tank of gas on a Saturday. Pulling the heads next year for unleaded happy valve seats swop.
Web: www.automotivefocus.co.za
Mail: Info@automotivefocus.co.za
Instagram: automotive__focus

KSF

Post by KSF » Fri 21 Aug 2015, 10:40

There is growing evidence that the exhaust valve recession problem was overstated and not as bad as originally expected. Those early result were not from very extensive testing and may be skewed. Of course, few engine rebuilders would try very hard to refute this, because they are making good money out of the conversions to hardened seats and valves.

In any case, you might as well run the car on ULP and once the valve seats do in fact (and if) recess, then get the heads off and do the conversion, costs the same.

The other thing is just this, running with a heavy foot: I used an Essex V6 for circuit racing with std valves and seats, ran it on LRP with an octane booster. In this engine, running on LRP, the exhaust valve seats DID recess! It still ran well enough, but when I opened it for a refresh, the exhaust valves had dropped almost 1mm. Most of that was the seats in the head. After that I ran the same engine on Avgas 100LL (low lead) and no more recession. So, seems with non heavy metal fuels we have the problem anyway, just not as bad as expected.

No difference between tuning for ULP and LRP. Both, especially LRP, leaves a very nasty and sticky residue wherever it evaporates and dries out (like a carb float bowl that sits for a couple months).

Social Media