When posting topics on the forum please make sure:
  • ● The posts are not political
  • ● The posts are not about religion
  • ● Please keep posts civil and don't be nasty to other members
Buckaroo

Re: LHD Issues The Facts

Post by Buckaroo » Thu 30 Jul 2015, 10:46

Bearhawke you just don't want to know.
I have been engaged in a constant war with the NRCS ( the National Regulator for Compulsory Specifications) for the last 4 years. The whole thing is a joke. We no longer import new Mustangs or F150's because "SA does not recognise US safety standards" and it is impossible to legally get them registered unless you homologate the vehicle which requires that you pay for and test about 30 different things including a crash test ( which btw we don't have proper facilities for). I could go on all day. The latest is that all vehicles except pre-65 have to have passed the latest safety specs irrespective of the age of the vehicle and you must give them proof of this. They just don't get it!!
www:amcarimports.co.za : New 67/68/69/70 RHD Mustang Fastbacks, Restomod: RHD 65-70 Mustangs, RHD Chevelle coupes, RHD 68 Camaros.
Amcar Imports : RHD 2012/13/14 Mustangs and Shelbys, F150 Raptor
Dynacorn Bodies.

Donovan Smith

Post by Donovan Smith » Fri 31 Jul 2015, 08:21

Yet they sell the Datsun Go and that rubbish had a zero score on the ncap, 2 stars for child protection. There is world wide pressure on Nissan to withdraw the Go from the market.

Buckaroo

Post by Buckaroo » Fri 31 Jul 2015, 12:16

Exactly - and most if not all the Chinese vehicles plus the Indian made VW Polo, Hyundai i10 and Ford Figo are the same - non-EEC compliant but sold here in the thousands. But its like hitting your head against a brick wall.
www:amcarimports.co.za : New 67/68/69/70 RHD Mustang Fastbacks, Restomod: RHD 65-70 Mustangs, RHD Chevelle coupes, RHD 68 Camaros.
Amcar Imports : RHD 2012/13/14 Mustangs and Shelbys, F150 Raptor
Dynacorn Bodies.

IndianaJones

Post by IndianaJones » Fri 31 Jul 2015, 13:27

A few years ago a member here, Elginimports, don't know if he is still active, his website is down, made the following post. It was very informative.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6652

"Can LHD vehicles be brought into the country and be registered into a person's name?

Yes! The collector who imports something as valuable as an Ford Mustang Shelby GT 500, or say a Yenko Camaro will certainly want to maintain the originality of LHD.These people will be able to register their cars for first time use upon receiving permission from the MEC; however, with such permission comes the stipulation that the car may never be sold again within the Republic of South Africa. Should the buyer ever wish to sale the vehicle at a later date it will have to be exported to a neighbouring country or overseas.

Any vehicle manufactured 1965 and before, may be imported as a "vintage" vehicle and registered for first time road use to individuals upon permission recieved by the MEC. Vehicles manufactured between 1997 and 1966 will not require a safety certificate meeting EEC regulations and will be imported as "collector's", but will also follow the same stipulation as listed above or RHD conversion performed.

Can RHD Vehicle be brought into the country?

Yes! RHD vehicle can be imported.

Can imported LHD classics be registered for everyday road use?

Yes . . . but with stipulations. These people will be able to register their cars for on road use upon receiving permission from the MEC in their respective province; however, with such permission comes the stipulation that the car may never be sold again within the Republic of South Africa. Should the buyer ever wish to sale the vehicle at a later date it will have to be to a neighboring country or overseas. We also would like to note we have been informed by NRCS (formerly SABS) representatives it is very difficult to receive permission in Durban or Cape Town provinces for such vehicles.

Hope that answers a few questions, for more information you can send me a PM or visit our website
www.elginimports.com"

and then a few days later:

"We have been informed by our Import permit agent in Johannesburg that import permits for LHD vehicles will not be issued anymore, the import regulations accentually did not change yet but all applications are turned down, it is possible with a lot of time and money to fight against it and we have heard of an LHD 1928 Bugatti being imported and registered in Gauteng.

Besides taking the a big part of our business away i personally think, that this are very sad developments, after all cars are not just toys they also milestones of history and engineering achievements and everybody should have the choice to own a LHD vehicle.
We hereby sadly announce that we can not longer offer our service of Importing LHD vehicles to our clients in South Africa."

This seems to still hold true, except for the more stringent EEC safety requirements for post 65 vehicles, that the NCRS demands, Buckaroo?

Bearhawke

Post by Bearhawke » Sat 01 Aug 2015, 02:22

Buckaroo wrote:Bearhawke you just don't want to know.
I have been engaged in a constant war with the NRCS ( the National Regulator for Compulsory Specifications) for the last 4 years. The whole thing is a joke. We no longer import new Mustangs or F150's because "SA does not recognise US safety standards" and it is impossible to legally get them registered unless you homologate the vehicle which requires that you pay for and test about 30 different things including a crash test ( which btw we don't have proper facilities for). I could go on all day. The latest is that all vehicles except pre-65 have to have passed the latest safety specs irrespective of the age of the vehicle and you must give them proof of this. They just don't get it!!
As you stated.

I smell a big, fat 'Bronx' sewer rat here concerning RSA's questionable vehicle regulations especially in light of your country not even having emissions tests on at least vehicles factory fitted when new with catalysts, OBD II, etc. The rule of thumb is if a vehicle's certified to California emissions; it's 100% legal world wide in that area.

Especially in that JDM cars and trucks should be a snap to register over there between them being RHD AND having similar safety/smog specifications as here in North America as well as Europe.

Our crash standards are pretty damn strict, trust me on that. Although the 'powers to be' in RSA are blind, to be polite.
Bearhawke in Az, USA

1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager minivan.

dom

Post by dom » Sat 01 Aug 2015, 06:33

Is it then true that I can build and register a LHD, and export it?
Nothing is as it seems!

Social Media