DeSoto Trucks in South Africa ??

Chat about anything that doenst fit in anywehere else
Forum rules
When posting topics on the forum please make sure:
  • ● The posts are not political
  • ● The posts are not about religion
  • ● Please keep posts civil and don't be nasty to other members
Post Reply
Grizz
Posts: 1192
Joined: Mon 13 Aug 2012, 21:54
Location: Rochester, KENT.

DeSoto Trucks in South Africa ??

Post by Grizz » Wed 19 Dec 2012, 18:23

Not quite a muscle car, but I know many people dabble in rods, and other stuff.

Does anyone know what Desoto trucks were built and sold in SA ?

They were often technically Dodges, and built by Chrysler corporation.

I am looking for any photos and also year dates if you have photos and know.

Thanks

Grizz
Posts: 1192
Joined: Mon 13 Aug 2012, 21:54
Location: Rochester, KENT.

Re: DeSoto Trucks in South Africa ??

Post by Grizz » Wed 19 Dec 2012, 19:33

As part of my research into buying an early 60's Chevy Pick Up truck, I have been led to a couple of other trucks.

This one is a DeSoto also knwn as De Soto or Desoto still running its original motor.

I have spent the last two hours Googling down many avenues and learned a lot, but not seen even a pic of one of these.

Has anyone seen one or knows anything about them?

They are essentially Dodge trucks rebadged, for certain markets.

Seller wants £3000.00 for it. Looks worth it to me.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image


I also heard about this 1958 International, running a 350/350 3spd auto combo. Leather interior.

Seller looking for £10500.00 firm.

Whatcha think??

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image


Any info gratefully received.

User avatar
Johann65
Posts: 6288
Joined: Sun 24 Aug 2008, 13:07
Location: Rothdene, Gauteng

Re: DeSoto Trucks in South Africa ??

Post by Johann65 » Wed 19 Dec 2012, 19:52

Grizz wrote:Not quite a muscle car, but I know many people dabble in rods, and other stuff. Does anyone know what Desoto trucks were built and sold in SA ? They were often technically Dodges, and built by Chrysler corporation.
I am looking for any photos and also year dates if you have photos and know. Thanks
They were sold by Malcommes Motors in Port Elizabeth and were marketed as Fargo Trucks. My Uncle; Ernest Rudman, a Farmer at Glen Connor bought one when he drove his Nash through the front and rear of the Barn!!! About 1951 :D :D He later bought a Dodge Monaco in the 60's
Member No: 209
Ah! Yes I remember it well! (Only GM's!)
1966 Opel Rekord L CLASSIC SEDAN Current Project

First V8
Posts: 1188
Joined: Fri 03 Dec 2010, 17:08
Location: Boksburg
Contact:

Re: DeSoto Trucks in South Africa ??

Post by First V8 » Wed 19 Dec 2012, 20:19

I like the De Soto more , its more in line with a classic and looks very original in its restored state . That wooden load bay must be better for the UK conditions . The price is also not bad . What are you going to do with it ? . Is it a toy or a daily work horse . ?
2010 Chev Lumina SS
1968 Chevy Impala (SOLD)
1968 Vw Beetle ( SOLD)
1963 Mini Pick Up ( Exported to UK )

Grizz
Posts: 1192
Joined: Mon 13 Aug 2012, 21:54
Location: Rochester, KENT.

Re: DeSoto Trucks in South Africa ??

Post by Grizz » Wed 19 Dec 2012, 21:06

First V8 wrote:I like the De Soto more , its more in line with a classic and looks very original in its restored state . That wooden load bay must be better for the UK conditions . The price is also not bad . What are you going to do with it ? . Is it a toy or a daily work horse . ?
Desoto at R35000 is well priced. But has no papers.

I am not buying it yet..... it came to the fore while I was looking for an early 60's Chevy C10 pickup.

But it looks good.

Biggest problem is that it potentially is quite large as it has what seems t be a twin wheel rear hub.

Bearhawke
Posts: 2698
Joined: Thu 25 Dec 2008, 20:38
Location: Bullhead City, Arizona USA

Re: DeSoto Trucks in South Africa ??

Post by Bearhawke » Thu 20 Dec 2012, 05:18

Grizz wrote:
First V8 wrote:I like the De Soto more , its more in line with a classic and looks very original in its restored state . That wooden load bay must be better for the UK conditions . The price is also not bad . What are you going to do with it ? . Is it a toy or a daily work horse . ?
Desoto at R35000 is well priced. But has no papers.

I am not buying it yet..... it came to the fore while I was looking for an early 60's Chevy C10 pickup.

But it looks good.

Biggest problem is that it potentially is quite large as it has what seems t be a twin wheel rear hub.
Probably not: many SRW (single rear wheel) trucks with 8 lugs in the USA/Canada even today have those full floating axles, they're much less likely to lose a wheel/hub even if the axle shaft were to break since the axle shaft doesn't have to carry weight, just transmit torque :)
Bearhawke in Az, USA

1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager minivan.

Grizz
Posts: 1192
Joined: Mon 13 Aug 2012, 21:54
Location: Rochester, KENT.

Re: DeSoto Trucks in South Africa ??

Post by Grizz » Thu 20 Dec 2012, 10:17

Well, I woke at stupid-o-clock and went to "sleep" downstairs.

Came up when the wife and kid left for work and had a pee.... Looked down on my December copy of Classic American magazine and there it was.

1958 Dodge Sweptside on the front cover and a long article inside.

The Desoto cab looks exactly the same bit with the omission of some of the side chrome trim.

I think that is the answer then.

A CKD truck badged as a Desoto for the South African market.

Must be bloody rare.

keithroz
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed 25 Sep 2019, 03:19

Re: DeSoto Trucks in South Africa ??

Post by keithroz » Wed 25 Sep 2019, 03:52

Did you end up buying the Desoto back then? If not, do you know what came of it?

User avatar
ters
Posts: 4195
Joined: Thu 19 Jan 2012, 19:39
Location: Pretoria

Re: DeSoto Trucks in South Africa ??

Post by ters » Wed 25 Sep 2019, 06:18

keithroz wrote:
Wed 25 Sep 2019, 03:52
Did you end up buying the Desoto back then? If not, do you know what came of it?
viewforum.php?f=41 Please? ;)

Ters.
When it comes to the wife its easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission!
AMC Forum now accessible on Tapatalk! http://www.tsclassicclinic.co.za/

Post Reply

Social Media

     

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests