Do yall think this Celica is a good deal?

Put links to cars and parts for sale on gumtree, junkmail etc. here
gordini

Re: Do yall think this Celica is a good deal?

Post by gordini » Sun 06 Oct 2013, 18:45

This rare here birdie can also be considered. Check the link:
http://www.gumtree.co.za/c-ViewAdLargeI ... word=c9077
gt1.jpg
gt1.jpg (65.68 KiB) Viewed 548 times
And with that price!!!! The possibilities are endless. body doesnt look tooo shabby. Lexus V8...well nou ja 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :roll: :roll: :? :? ;)
In my old age...
i drink a tripple,i see double and i act single..

From Malmesbury

ters

Post by ters » Mon 07 Oct 2013, 06:56

What about the 280 ZX's? The loooong bonnet and short rear always appealing.
If I had the parking space and $$, I would grab this one: http://www.gumtree.co.za/cp-cars-in-bok ... -530439863

Ters.
When it comes to the wife its easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission!
AMC Forum now accessible on Tapatalk! http://www.tsclassicclinic.co.za/

ZA Perana

Post by ZA Perana » Mon 07 Oct 2013, 07:06

ters wrote:What about the 280 ZX's? The loooong bonnet and short rear always appealing.
If I had the parking space and $$, I would grab this one: http://www.gumtree.co.za/cp-cars-in-bok ... -530439863

Ters.
That's a great looking example!
Alfa GTV 3.0
Ford Capri Perana V8
Chevy Lumina Supercharged

Wait not for tomorrow to do what can be done today, live each day for one knows not what the next day may hold.

gordini

Post by gordini » Mon 07 Oct 2013, 09:10

ters wrote:What about the 280 ZX's? The loooong bonnet and short rear always appealing.

Ters.
I see old Conrad need some spelling lessons :lol: :lol:
In my old age...
i drink a tripple,i see double and i act single..

From Malmesbury

Moering Tool

Post by Moering Tool » Mon 07 Oct 2013, 10:18

Ters.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

Hot damn, it's just down the road. Gonna go take a look! Thanks a lot Tertius!

72XYGT

Post by 72XYGT » Mon 07 Oct 2013, 11:30

Burnthosetyres wrote:2 of my cars are LHD it's not the end of the world, but they're not my daily drivers.... if you don't mind, nothing's an issue.... Telescopic grill tongs work like an extended arm....
Hahaha.....good one, I will remeber it next time I drive the Mustang.
LHD is not bad once you get use to it, and it does take time to realy get used to it. Good example is taking a right turn with a LHD. I still take it easy when doing a righthand turn especially if you have to turn with another car waiting at the stop street for you to complete your turn. Its almost as if you cant fully negotiate the distance between yourself and the waiting car.
The other thing is driving on the open road. One do tend to position the car much more to the rightside of the travelling lane and that is main because you are used to a RHD vehicle.
Oh the worst thing is to get used to changing gears with the right arm as opposed to using the left arm in a RHD. Once used to it all is ok.
Overtaking is a bit of a problem as you cant see any oncoming traffic. Best is to drop back a bit and slightly over to the rightside of the lane to see if there is any oncoming traffic.
Happy Left Hooker Driving guys!

Moering Tool

Post by Moering Tool » Mon 07 Oct 2013, 13:14

ZA Perana wrote:

Ters.
That's a great looking example!
I went to go look at this Zed and took it for a spin.

I'll say this - for 20K it's a steal if a rare(ish) project car is what you're after. But it's a money pit, for the following reasons:

1) The engine sounds OK, but it is slightly smokey (black soot), and it backfires on overrun. Not major, but a loud popping. The previous owner was clearly a twat, he put on a free-flow system that makes a god-awful racket and it basically spoils the car, if you're older than 13 years of age. I suspect the engine has been fiddled with, it idles erratically as if it's got a hot cam. Speaking of age, the car has 193,000 kays on it.
2) The suspension was dropped at least four inches, and the car scrapes and bangs over the lowest obstacles. The diff has a leak.
3) The interior is tatty. The sill plastic mouldings is broken in places, the dashboard is cracked, the alu trim on the gearshift bezel surround is bent, the carpets are rotten. The doorcards are moered in place with self-tappers :x :roll:. The steering column shrouds have separated and don't click together any more. The center console is missing its cubby. So basically, the interior needs a COMPLETE strip and replace/overhaul/recover.
4) All rubber bits on the car are on the verge of perishing - and sourcing new replacements might be a headache. It's got frameless doors, so you can't just gooi any old rubber profile on, it needs to be bespoke for the windows to seal.
5) The spare wheel fits behind the trim on the right side of the boot. You need to basically bend it away to gain access to the spare wheel. But over the years, the clip has perished and the trim itself is bent, leaving a gaping hole through which you can touch the outer bodywork.
6) The windscreen is wavy and creates odd refractions (very distracting while driving).
7) The bodywork is relatively straight, but the driver's door needs some work, it doesn't line up properly and the rubber lip doesn't touch the window unless you push the body work inwards. I suspect it was a replacement at some point.
8) The car has been resprayed from silver, and while it looks ok, it is bubbling in places and there's some small rust spots here and there. The brightwork is dented here and there but otherwise is in good nick.

So basically what it boils down to, the R20K ask is peanuts, but I need to decide whether I want to take on what amounts to a complete restore that will add on at least another 50K.

I'm umming and aahing....

IndianaJones

Post by IndianaJones » Mon 07 Oct 2013, 18:24

You are going to find a lot of cars like that....

ters

Post by ters » Tue 08 Oct 2013, 09:29

IndianaJones wrote:You are going to find a lot of cars like that....
Agree. Show the dealer all defects, offer 15k....if he came down 10k, he can still come down.
They most probably bought the car for 10/11k.

Ters.
When it comes to the wife its easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission!
AMC Forum now accessible on Tapatalk! http://www.tsclassicclinic.co.za/

Moering Tool

Post by Moering Tool » Tue 08 Oct 2013, 09:46

I haggled him down to R19,500. The guy owns a breakers' yard cum used car lot and offered 20K as a trade-in on a sale. He explained that he would make more cash stripping the car for parts than to drop the price.

I am going to buy this car to save it from the scrap heap :)

Social Media