Classic Mercedes advice.

Post any technical questions, FAQs or tutorials in this section
chevy4ever

Classic Mercedes advice.

Post by chevy4ever » Fri 12 Aug 2011, 08:17

Hi
I’m currently doing some work on a friend’s 1970 Mercedes 250CE, fuel injection model.
It has an annoying problem of surging badly at low speeds. You have to keep the revs up in order to get it going.
I have just taken it in to have the injectors serviced. But it did not cure the problem. :?

The other problem - It has the tendency of shaking its rear when driving above 40mph. actually feels like you driving in/thru ruts in the road.

Any advice or know where I can find a classic Mercedes mechanic would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Ty
:)
REMEMBER A CLEVER MAN KNOWS ALL THE WAYS....
BUT A WISE MAN KNOWS THE RIGHT WAY

First V8

Re: Classic Mercedes advice.

Post by First V8 » Fri 12 Aug 2011, 08:51

Hi Ty , I know of a very good Merc mac up here in Gauteng .He did work on my 280E Auto and i have never seen such attention to detail before . He of course is German . :)
Regards
Rudy
2010 Chev Lumina SS
1968 Chevy Impala (SOLD)
1968 Vw Beetle ( SOLD)
1963 Mini Pick Up ( Exported to UK )

chevy4ever

Post by chevy4ever » Fri 12 Aug 2011, 10:05

First V8 wrote:Hi Ty , I know of a very good Merc mac up here in Gauteng .He did work on my 280E Auto and i have never seen such attention to detail before . He of course is German . :)
Regards
Rudy
Hi
Thanx. Please can you pm me his contact details. Our local merc guy (PMB) said the 250CE is to old for him...

Regards
Ty

mahleu

Post by mahleu » Fri 12 Aug 2011, 13:27

I know a very good mechanic in Queensburgh, reasonable as well.
That's how I roll. Down the hill 'cause the car won't start and the brakes don't work.

LeonardZeiler

Post by LeonardZeiler » Fri 12 Aug 2011, 18:33

Howdy bud.

Sounds indicative of a vacuum leak to me, if you floor it, does it seem to be ok.

Vacuum leaks can be tested with a can of carb cleaner, sprayed around the pipes and gaskets, if you have a leak, it will be sucked in, and you will hear the additional liquid explode, ie engine noise will change, that means you have a leak.

As for the wobbly bits, sounds like rear diff mount(s) or control arm bushes. A good tug/pull/wabble the crap out of with a large something... will give you an indication.

Pity your so far away, I would of been able to help ya find the issue.
[align=center]Image[/align]

First V8

Post by First V8 » Fri 12 Aug 2011, 20:20

Us BOKSBURG okes have all the answers . ;) ;) :lol:
2010 Chev Lumina SS
1968 Chevy Impala (SOLD)
1968 Vw Beetle ( SOLD)
1963 Mini Pick Up ( Exported to UK )

chevy4ever

Post by chevy4ever » Fri 12 Aug 2011, 20:21

LeonardZeiler wrote:Howdy bud.

Sounds indicative of a vacuum leak to me, if you floor it, does it seem to be ok.

Vacuum leaks can be tested with a can of carb cleaner, sprayed around the pipes and gaskets, if you have a leak, it will be sucked in, and you will hear the additional liquid explode, ie engine noise will change, that means you have a leak.

As for the wobbly bits, sounds like rear diff mount(s) or control arm bushes. A good tug/pull/wabble the crap out of with a large something... will give you an indication.

Hi Leonard
Thanx for the reply. The car pulls fine when it’s driven above 80kmph or when the revs are kept high. However I did notice this afternoon, the surging is almost gone when the car is cold, but gets bad when it’s at operating temp.
As for the vacuum, I coupled up the gauge on the port to the brakes; it took a long time to get up to pressure. Will try the carb cleaner, thanx for the tip.
The car still has the original oil bath filter, don’t know if I should keep it or change it to the cone type filter???
Will check the suspension out. Personally I think the old merc doesn’t like the big tyres (225/45 R17).

Regards
Ty

chevy4ever

Post by chevy4ever » Fri 12 Aug 2011, 20:25

First V8 wrote:Pity your so far away, I would of been able to help ya find the issue.

Us BOKSBURG okes have all the answers . ;) ;) :lol:
Boksburg???? Where's that... :lol: :lol:
just joking. Thanx a mill.

Social Media