350 turbo box kickdown cable install?

Post any technical questions, FAQs or tutorials in this section
BIGSIX

350 turbo box kickdown cable install?

Post by BIGSIX » Wed 01 Sep 2010, 16:09

Hi All,

I am new to the V8 scene and buying a Courier with 350 V8 and 350 turbo box, when I went to test ride it the owner said the kickdown has not been hooked up and I need to find out how to do it PLEASE!!

Any information or pics will be appreciated!!

Thanks
Old Ford's don't Die, they just go Faster!
Hi, my name is Johan and I am a V-addict!

'97 Suzuki TL1000S - V2(SOLD)
'76 Ford Cortina XLE Bigsix 3.0 - V6
'90 Ford Sapphire 3.0 GLX - V6
'97 Mazda MX6 2.5i - V6
'96 Ford Courier D\C 350 16v - V8

drgfinger
Technical Guru

Re: 350 turbo box kickdown cable install?

Post by drgfinger » Wed 01 Sep 2010, 18:29

There are 2 devices that control kickdown and upshifts , vacuum and cable.
You need a vacuum hose from the intake to the vacuum modulator on the box , you need a cable from the mechanical kickdown on the box to the carb linkage
Depends on the carb you got how you hook it up.
A box without vacuum and k/down hooked up is useless...
google "th350 kickdown" , tons of info there
The nicest thing about smacking your head against the wall is........the feeling you get when you stop!!

05 Jag S-type R - supercharged v8
95 C4 lt1 corvette

RIP

shoedoos

Post by shoedoos » Thu 02 Sep 2010, 07:19

A vacuum modulator controls the rpms the box shifts at. If your gearbox appears to drive for a long time before shifting to the next gear then it needs to either be adjusted or replaced. The modulator is located down the back of the gearbox pointing toward the rear of the car. It will have a small rubber hose coming out the back of it. If the modulator is adjustable then pull the hose off, get yourself a small flat screw driver and insert it into the pipe that the hose was on. There will be a screw inside (doubt you will be able to see it with the box in the car) that you tighten or loosen to adjust the shift points when your shifter is in D. Tighten to shorten the shift point, loosen to extend the shift point.

As far as the kickdown cable is concerned. It must already be in the gearbox or you'd have a big red puddle under the car every time you fired it up. Have a look up beside the carb and check to see if there is a cable just sitting there not connected to anything. You'll need a bracket so it can be connected to the throttle arm of the carb. The OEM part is readily available but you can make your own. Once you get the cable mounted the adjustment really is up to you as to when you want the gearbox to kick down. Three quarter throttle is a good place to start.....

If you don't have the time to sort out the kickdown right now, just manually row the gears and the box will be okay until you get around to it....

BIGSIX

Post by BIGSIX » Thu 02 Sep 2010, 08:20

Thanks for the info!!

Cable is there but not connected!

Will see how it goes once I have the Bakkie!

Thanks again!
Old Ford's don't Die, they just go Faster!
Hi, my name is Johan and I am a V-addict!

'97 Suzuki TL1000S - V2(SOLD)
'76 Ford Cortina XLE Bigsix 3.0 - V6
'90 Ford Sapphire 3.0 GLX - V6
'97 Mazda MX6 2.5i - V6
'96 Ford Courier D\C 350 16v - V8

drgfinger
Technical Guru

Post by drgfinger » Thu 02 Sep 2010, 11:07

When you connect the cable , make sure that you still get full throttle opening when mashing the pedal to the floor - ie see that the kickdown isnt limiting throttle travel
The nicest thing about smacking your head against the wall is........the feeling you get when you stop!!

05 Jag S-type R - supercharged v8
95 C4 lt1 corvette

RIP

Social Media