Batteries!!

Post any technical questions, FAQs or tutorials in this section
kavesh

Re: Batteries!!

Post by kavesh » Sun 23 Jul 2017, 14:53

Do a google search on reviving old car batteries. There is a few youtube videos that show the process of bring them back to life. These are free information videos not the one that asks for payment.

I have followed the steps for my El Camino battery and so far so good. My battery was originally purchased in 2008, (Dixon). Although it has run down a couple of times I think it was more due to me just starting and moving it in my yard and not actually driving it.

I have one of the really old battery chargers that I got from my dad who got it from a friend probably in the 60's.

Burnthosetyres

Post by Burnthosetyres » Sun 23 Jul 2017, 16:59

Two of my golf cart batteries exploded when I was driving it. Sounded like a bomb, I shat myself 😬

Scary & expensive
'A Camaro is a little animal that eats Mustangs!'

neresh

Post by neresh » Mon 24 Jul 2017, 16:11

Hey Len , maybe the cart got tired of constant driving into the rough 😂😂😂
'71 camino - 406 c.i - turbo 400(manual shift kit) - 9" rear (3.50:1)

paulusvrotius1

Post by paulusvrotius1 » Mon 24 Jul 2017, 17:53

I have 'Optimate' intelligent chargers for my bikes, never had any problems yet.
Cheers

My AMC:
1971 Capri Perana Yellow/Blk.

Old Fords never die because some clotheads keep bodging them back together!!

RASSIE

Post by RASSIE » Tue 25 Jul 2017, 09:11

I do not think I would re-con. them but many years back I have seen my late Dad empty his old batteries and wash them out. Then if I remember correct add new battery acid and rain water and many was in use again.
I am sure many old members can help.
Rassie.
http://www.rassiesauto.co.za/
“Cowboys do not ride donkeys”
“I will die driving a V8”

paulusvrotius1

Post by paulusvrotius1 » Tue 25 Jul 2017, 14:06

I remember my Dad doing that as well Rassie.
I think part of the problem is as the battery ages the plates deteriorate and a sort of sediment builds up between the plates, shorting them out.
Emptying it and flushing would remove some of this and with new electrolyte the battery has life again.
I would think the condition of the plates would determine how successful it worked.
Cheers

My AMC:

Chev58

Post by Chev58 » Tue 25 Jul 2017, 19:44

In my opinion, is it really worth it vs the price of a new battery (and it blowing up in your face, car etc).
Batteries deteriorate over time 4 - 6 years of normal use, or sooner if left uncharged.(its just due to the chemical reaction between lead plates and acid).
Tip when buying a new battery(this my oldman tought me) if your look at the battery your are about to buy and the terminals are black(oxidized) DON'T buy that battery, look for one that grey colour or shiny new terminals - REASON = the black one has been in storage on the shelf for a long time with acid in it and its lifespan is already compromised.

The best option would be buying a battery that has been dry(no acid filled) and they fill the acid in your presence.
58 Chevy Apache

paulusvrotius1

Post by paulusvrotius1 » Wed 26 Jul 2017, 08:48

I always buy dry bike batteries and they come with a plastic set of tubes filled with the electrolyte.
A lot of batteries are maintenance free and sealed these days so come ready charged.
Gel batteries might be the way to go in future.
Cheers

My AMC:

kavesh

Post by kavesh » Wed 26 Jul 2017, 18:21

Chev58 wrote:
Tue 25 Jul 2017, 19:44
In my opinion, is it really worth it vs the price of a new battery (and it blowing up in your face, car etc).
Batteries deteriorate over time 4 - 6 years of normal use, or sooner if left uncharged.(its just due to the chemical reaction between lead plates and acid).
Tip when buying a new battery(this my oldman tought me) if your look at the battery your are about to buy and the terminals are black(oxidized) DON'T buy that battery, look for one that grey colour or shiny new terminals - REASON = the black one has been in storage on the shelf for a long time with acid in it and its lifespan is already compromised.

The best option would be buying a battery that has been dry(no acid filled) and they fill the acid in your presence.
This is new to me. So if you went to buy a battery must we ask for a dry battery and request that they fill the acid in front of you. Is my thinking correct?

Chev58

Post by Chev58 » Thu 27 Jul 2017, 11:17

Kavesh, that would be a bonus, but is not always the case as most retailers receive that batteries filled already by the supplier.
58 Chevy Apache

Social Media